Blank Disc

Shape

I don't have much space on my computer and I wanted to know if I could burn N64 ROMS, or PSX ISO's, or any type onto a disc and run it from there. Would it have a negative impact on the performence?

Jale

You can safely burn your ROMs on CD/DVD and no, it won't have a negative impact on performance since ROMs are loaded into memory. The only difference you'll see is that when you load a game, it will take longer to start than starting it from hard disk, but the diference is just a few seconds away (from 5 to 15 seconds, depending of your CD/DVD drive speed).

Shape

Ok. Thanks so i can run them from the cd/dvd.

Also will emulators look alright if I play them on an LCD screen.

Last edited:

Jale

If you have a widescreen LCD, probably not, since many games have been designed for 4:3 displays, unless you don't mind playing with stretched/fat characters.

Spellsong

Gray Mage
From my experience, games look worse on a LCD than on a CRT. That is just me.
If you have one of those HD like LCDs, I have no clue.

Jale

From my experience, games look worse on a LCD than on a CRT. That is just me.
If you have one of those HD like LCDs, I have no clue.
That's because you need to play the games on the native resolution. I mean, if you play games at 1024x768 on a 16:10 monitor which native resolution is 1440x900, obviously it will look bad. You need to set the emulator resolution to 1440x900.

The same thing happens with 4:3 LCD monitors. A 15'' monitor resolution is 1024x768. Anything above or below this resolution will look bad (blurry).

Last edited:

Spellsong

Gray Mage
That's because you need to play the games on the native resolution. I mean, if you play games at 1024x768 on a 16:10 monitor which native resolution is 1440x900, obviously it will look bad. You need to set the emulator resolution to 1440x900.

The same thing happens with 4:3 LCD monitors. A 15'' monitor resolution is 1024x768. Anything above or below this resolution will look bad (blurry).

I am playing on a 4:3 and at 1024x768. PC games look good, but emulated games look very terrible. Well that is why I use a scan converter to fix that problem. Too bad it does not look good with movies anymore since the S-Video out does not display a cloned mode with the 8400gs. Things don't look blurry, but pixlated or however that word is spelled. Things still don't look right at those res.

Last edited:

Spellsong

Gray Mage
The problem with filters that they look way off. Like I said, I use a scan converter for my TV since the TV can get the real look of the games right, so its really no big deal. I was just somewhat ranting.