What are good gamepads to use?

bmetallaoui

I have been playing ROMs for awhile and now I want to play N64 ROMs but they are too hard to play with a keyboard. So I was thinking about buying a gamepad. I don't want to buy a really expensive one just one that is decent.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
I use a Playstation 2 dual shock pad with a USB adapter.
The adpaters are only about £6 or £7 and work without needing any drivers. I have yet to find an emulator it doesn't work with.

Has to be said though, the N64 had such a unique pad the only way to do it justice properly is with an N64 pad and a USB pad converter.

Ryanfaescotland

I bought the cheapest pad PC World had to offer so it was only £5. Same layout as PS pad and very similar shape does the job for me perfectly. Doesn't have any extra features though like rumble or turbo buttons but I'm not concerned about them anyway.

But like FatTrucker said you might want to avoid a playstation-esk pad if it's for N64 games. Also I bought my pad about 3 years ago so not sure on it's avaliblity.

spotanjo3

I use a Playstation 2 dual shock pad with a USB adapter.
The adpaters are only about £6 or £7 and work without needing any drivers. I have yet to find an emulator it doesn't work with.

Has to be said though, the N64 had such a unique pad the only way to do it justice properly is with an N64 pad and a USB pad converter.

Really ? It didnt work with ? Mine does because I am using it. However, I prefer gamecube adapter for pj64, thought. :)

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I use psx for most and n64 for n64, mame, and sega. But soon ill have them all in one nice box ;)

Hrothgar

I'm thinking about getting N64 and PS2 controllers (Along with adapters of course), but until then I'm using the X-box 360 controller. It does pretty well honestly. If you got a wired one it works the instant you plug it in. It's a bit awkward with PS games though. It works surprisingly well with N64 and Sega Saturn games.