Mame news - MK4

Epsi

Zoo Keeper
0.120u2: Aaron Giles made some progress on the Midway Zeus-based system. The 3D command stream is now parsed and the format is partially understood, enough to display some polygons but with incorrect textures in Mortal Kombat 4. Changed visible area to 400x256.

29th October 2007: Aaron Giles - I Think This One Is Going To Be Slow... In a fairly typical move, I've blown off all my other projects to look at something shiny. There's some decent progress, but any textures that aren't coplanar with the screen are clearly quite wonky. In fact, it's driving me a bit batty at the moment. At least it is working enough to parse the model data, and you can watch the intro with its rotating camera and rain effects (see last picture - it looks better in motion). There is still a ton of stuff that I don't yet understand. Having a PCB would be very handy (not only for this but for weeding out the remaining TMS32031 math bugs). Anyone got one they want to loan me for a few months?

For more info on MK4 progress in MAME

spotanjo3

I already knew about it but I do not like this serie because of 3-D. The 1-3 was the best games for me.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Personally I thought all the MK games were crap. Simply riding on the novelty of 'fatalities' but not having a great deal of depth or finess in the fighting.

MK4 however, represents another technical milestone for mame so I thought I would stick it up there simply out of general interest.

Epsi

Zoo Keeper
MK4 however, represents another technical milestone for mame so I thought I would stick it up there simply out of general interest.

Actually MAME has a "milestone" page of it's own. Seems the MK4 news didnt make it.

Personally I thought all the MK games were crap. Simply riding on the novelty of 'fatalities' but not having a great deal of depth or finess in the fighting.

Can't help but wonder if all the people at MAME agrees with you on that. ;)

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Probably because its still very much a WIP. I would imagine when there's something concrete to submit then it will make the jump.

As for my views on MK, as with all games its a personal thing, I'm sure a lot of people get a great deal of enjoyment out of it, I'm just not one of them. :)

Attila Frost

MK4 however, represents another technical milestone for mame so I thought I would stick it up there simply out of general interest.[/QUOT

First of all, hello everybody!:D...anyway...really? wow, that's a matter of personal opinion I guess but I'll tell you this, if you see someone that likes MK only for the "novelty" of fatalities then that person does not know anything about MK games and definitely nothing about fighting games...I love MK very much, greatest fighting game ever and I'm not alone in this one, and as much as I love Street Fighter they never implemented huge innovations in gameplay, MK did, if you check all MK games are very different from each other (most of them at least) and it's also the only fighting game with a "real" storyline, I mean who puts storylines on fighting games? besides Namco on Tekken you don't usually see deep stories which are awesome (except for Armageddon which doesn't really follow anything)...I think the obscurity of the story and gameplay really help the MK games, and trust me I'm not someone who plays something because everybody plays it...I'm not a Halo fan at all for example haha...anyway, that's my opinion but I would say you haven't played Mortal Kombat games too many times I think to actually go and say "these games are crap"...but again...that's my opinion...

ubr

NPC GM Pilot
if you see someone that likes MK only for the "novelty" of fatalities then that person does not know anything about MK games and definitely nothing about fighting games..

I know some Hardcore fighting gamer who spend a lot of time figured the code just to see every Fatalities on UMK3.

it's also the only fighting game with a "real" storyline,

KOF and Soul Calibur series have it.

As for my views on MK, as with all games its a personal thing, I'm sure a lot of people get a great deal of enjoyment out of it, I'm just not one of them.

Me too, its a personal thing.

Last edited:

Epsi

Zoo Keeper
0008.png

Even more progress over at Aaron Giles’ Home Page.

spotanjo3

I already know this one. I always check Aaron Gile's and Ville as well. They are awesome people. This game is ugly and graphic is horribly. I like first and second because of real humans and I liked it. This sucks but I will get it when it is available for mame so I can play it anyway! :D