Converting To ROM

Ryanfaescotland

EDIT - Just noticed this is in Sony Emulation so that should give me some clues but I'll wait for a reply regardless.

I think you may be a little confused. ROM (Read Only Memory) isn't a format, it's a term used to describe all the information that is stored on the little chip inside the computer game cart. This info has been copied buy some clever people onto computers and is refered to as a ROM Dump but normally just as a ROM.

Formats ROMs are typically stored in are .bin .sms .smc but it really depends on the system the ROM was originally for.

There are several convertors out there but you need to get the right on for the job. Check the file extension (ie SuperMarioWorld.XXX) and google 'the extension' convertor.

If you can't find what your looking for repost but be sure to give the following information:

What's the game?
What system is the game for?
What format is it currently in?
What format do you want it in?
Why? (just incase your trying to play a SNES game on the MEGADRIVE)

Goodluck

Last edited:

phantom

I don't think there is a ROM (.rom) format, at least not for CD images. If you mean you want to make a CD image out of an actual game CD, then you have to get a special program to do it. People usually take this opportunity to suggest paid programs that are impossible to get or even don't actually let you do it (Nero doesn't actually let you make an iso, only nrg file that emulators don't read).

Anyway, I can suggest a program called UltraISO. It's a little unstable, it's shareware (has a nag screen asking you to pay for it), but has no 100 MB limit like most other programs like this. I don't know of any freeware ISO making programs that actually work and aren't limited to 100 MB.

Last edited:

flamingo24

Sui Generis Avis
PS1 images should be mode2, BIN/CUE is recommended. download cdrwin (shareware/restricted use), the functions are limited by speed but otherwise works fine without activating the program and your only extracting. Alternatively you can download imgburn (freeware), create an ISO and convert the sector size to mode2 (2352) using CDMage (freeware).

thisone

Sorry, i'm new to all this but thanks for all your answer guys. Basically the file is in .ISO format and i want it to be converted to anything that will work on a PS2 emulator if that is at all possible?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Sorry, i'm new to all this but thanks for all your answer guys. Basically the file is in .ISO format and i want it to be converted to anything that will work on a PS2 emulator if that is at all possible?
- the iso should work, the iso is just an imaage of the original disc

well i just tried opening the .iso file straight into the ps2 emulator but it didn't work. :(
- possibly a bad / incomplete iso. PS2 is new and it is not sure to work. Did you check that game on the compatibility list.

thisone

Hmm, OK thanks for the response. Well when i try to open the .iso with the PCSX2 emulator before i even try to open it i get a message saying "Unable to load bios: 'bios/', PCSX2 can't run without that" and then when i click on OK and try to open the .iso it just tries to open it but comes up with the Send/Don't Send Error Report message.

I also tried running it on the NeutrinoSX2 emulator, when i try that it trys to start the game up, goes to a black screen like it's starting but then closes and starts creating this huge log file before crashing.

The with the PS2emu emulator when i just start it up it comes up with an error message saying "BIOS loading problem" and then the Run CD/DVD option is blanked out so i can't even try the game on that one.

My conclusion is maybe is it something to do with this BIOS message?? I'm not even sure what it means but maybe one of you experts can tell me :cool:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Well in short the bois is VERY important. The bois is the firmware dump from the original system and its ILLEGAL!!!. So that being said we cant help you find it. But it is out there -cough- Google -cough-.. and you do need the right one. You may have none or a bad one. Start searching for one ;)

Ryanfaescotland

ulaoulao is right you need to download the bios and have that in the right place, it should say something about it in the Read Me as to where to store it once you have it and may also give tips on how to find it but it's prob easy enough.

Easiest way to think of it is that what you have on your computer right now is a PS2 with none of the circuits in it so that although it looks like a PS2 and you can stick games in it, it won't actually do anything until you put the circuits, the bios, into it. Least that's how I think of it.

thisone

Right, thanks alot, i'm starting to understand everything now. I don't know whether your allowed to say or not but what i have now in my bios folder is a .bin, .mec & .nvm file, is that correct?

I tried the game and it actually worked but the only thing is now is that its just real choppy and the sound plays in like slow motion, its unplayable really. Is this something to do with my graphic settings?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I tried the game and it actually worked but the only thing is now is that its just real choppy and the sound plays in like slow motion, its unplayable really. Is this something to do with my graphic settings?
- no thats correct. PS2 emulation is new and takes a heck of a computer. You should have a duo cpu, (thats the intell duo) and even at that dont expect much to be perfect. we still need about 5 year to perfect sp2 emulation.

thisone

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3ghz
1.00GB RAM
17" DELL LCD Monitor
RADEON X300/X550 Series
SoundMAX Digital Audio
Windows XP
160GB & 500GB Internal HDD's

hope that's enough info, need anymore the lemme know.

Last edited:

montpics

You can't do anything about it if you still find the game runs very slowly than expected. My suggest is try to play it on PS2 if you have it.