Homebrew USB PS1 controller

RiderLeangle

Are there any guides on making Homebrew USB PSX (A.K.A PS1) controllers (With Dual-Shock).
Heres the tools I think I'll need.
1: PSX Dual Shock Controller
2: USB Port Extender Cable (Doesn't work as one anymore, I think somewhere inside the Wire is broken)
3: Small Philips-Head Screwdriver (In case I have to open the controller)
4: Scissors (Pretty self explanitory, to cut the wires)
5: Possible Electrical Tape (To cover everthing up)

For the record I have very little experience so I need one tht can be done successfully by a beginer.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Ya a few..

for the non dula shock psx-n64 http://www.zen35383.zen.co.uk/stnield/usbpads.htm

That is the most common..

here is a much better one in the works , here is the gc/n64

http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/gc_n64_usb/index_en.php

He plans to do a psx version soon. I will be working on this my self.

now in response to this..
1: PSX Dual Shock Controller
2: USB Port Extender Cable (Doesn't work as one anymore, I think somewhere inside the Wire is broken)
3: Small Philips-Head Screwdriver (In case I have to open the controller)
4: Scissors (Pretty self explanitory, to cut the wires)
5: Possible Electrical Tape (To cover everthing up)
I would say your in over your head. but if you wish to try it Ill help ya ;) And you will need to solder and get components. With no electronic background you may learn a lot by trial and error.. But! since we are working with 5 volts here the best you will suffer is a burn from the soldering gun and maybe a few burned components. I have built over 100 usb controllers and made mistakes my self. It will take learningm its not just wiring and taping up wires..... that only works for xbox.

Last edited:

RiderLeangle

So basicly I cannot make one with these alone?
componentsiwouldneed.jpg

I would say your in over your head.
Judging by those instruction pages, I think you might be right.
but if you wish to try it Ill help ya And you will need to solder and get components. With no electronic background you may learn a lot by trial and error.. But! since we are working with 5 volts here the best you will suffer is a burn from the soldering gun and maybe a few burned components. I have built over 100 usb controllers and made mistakes my self. It will take learningm its not just wiring and taping up wires..... that only works for xbox.
Thanks, Because I still want to make a working PSX USB controller to work with my Emulator (Because the PSX controller has too many buttons to assign to a Keyboard that I could use easily, Although I don't have access to a soldering iron or the ability to buy components (I'm 15), but hopefully I can improvise. And if possible I would want some VERY easy (completely foolproof) insructions because have never done anything like this before and its my only PSX controller (I have another but its some kind of special MadCatz version (Which is so old I can't get pics) and it has all kind of special buttons which I don't think anyone programs PC versions so they can work) and I don't want to ruin my DualShock 2 (PS2) controller so if I mess up (Or even if I get it right because I don't think the PS2 supports USB controllers as it already has ports for the controllers) I couldn't use my PS2 anymore which I don't want, so I want to get this right the first time or at least able to reverse and start over without damaging anything.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Oh boy.. Ok Tell me if I step out of common sense and i'll re explain..

To do this you need to first give a voltage to the joystick. In this case 5v from the usb to the joystick (easy part), now for rumble you need a stepper. 5 volts is not enough. But we will skip that for now. then you need capture the joystick signals(pulses of current) and send them to a usb possessor. No you can send them to the computer for processing it has to be done before hand. So this means you need a chip..!! Witch also means you need to program the chip, or buy a ready programmed one. This chip will convert the joystick commands to usb command. Then you need to send that data to the usb (approved standard) controller. You will need lots of electronic components to do so..

Now, I know we all are stubborn and dont like to believe what we read (wishful thinking). but trust me if it was as simple as cutting wires you would not see so many converters out there with all those component's in them..

Also you can make a parallel port version with a lot less hassle.
WARNING:
This will make your controller unusable on your playstation. If you would like to use your controller with your playstation, you may substitute the controller with a controller extension cord and use the female end of it. *'s indicate the alternative process.

Materials needed:
-1 PSX/PS2 controller (*PSX/PS2 extension cord*)
-1 Male DB25 connector.....RadioShack: #276-1447 (http://www.radioshack.com/product.a...name=CTLG_005_003_005_000&product_id=276-1547)
-1 DB25 connector hood....RadioShack: #276-1549 (http://www.radioshack.com/product.a...name=CTLG_005_003_005_000&product_id=276-1549)
-5 Diodes ......................RadioShack: #276-1620 (http://www.radioshack.com/product.a...name=CTLG_010_005_003_016&product_id=276-1620)
-1 Roll of Electrical Tape

Utensils needed:
-Solder Iron
-Solder
-Wire Cutter/Stripper
-Screw Driver

Software needed:
-Direct Pad Pro (http://www.aldostools.com/dpad.html) (Windows 95, 98, 2000)
-NTpad XP v2.01 (http://www.aldostools.com/dpad.html) (Windows 2000, XP)

The first thing for you to do is to solder your diodes in place. A diode has two sides, anodehttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a244/billy_jo_mofo/diode.gifcathode. Cut down the anode side of five diodes to about an inch. Solder the anode side of the diodes you just cut to DB25 pins 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9. On the cathode side, you are going to need to twist all diode wires together. Then, cut the twisted wires to about an inch, enough length to solder.

Now you need to prepare your controller cord for soldering. Use your wire cutter to cut off the male plug of your controller. Strip the wire down a few inches. Now it's ready to be soldered. (*Cut off the male end of the extension cord and strip it down a few inches. Make sure you leave the female end intact.*)

Below is a pinout of a Playstation controller. If you have a different brand of controller, other than sony, the color coding may be different. You will notice that three wires are not used. This is because they serve no purpose in modding the controller. Solder the controller's wires to the correct DB25 pins.

Playstation Pin-out
+-----------------------------+
| 1 2 3 | 4 5 6 | 7 8 9 |
\________|_________|________/

1 (brown).....................DB25 10
2 (Orange)....................DB25 2
4 (Black).....................DB25 18-25
5 (Red).......................DB25 Diodes (5-9)
6 (Yellow)....................DB25 3
7 (Blue)......................DB25 4

After you are finished soldering the wires, give them time to cool and form a tight bond. Once cooled, CAREFULLY place the DB25 male connector, along with the wires, into the DB25 hood. Screw the hood shut. If any wires are exposed outside the hood, wrap them with a few layers of electrical tape.

You finished the hardware. Good for you! Now all thats left is the software. Install the programs above, plug in your controller and configure it.

Now your done, Congratulations! You can use this controller for emulators, games, anything.

Last edited:

mpgcuenca

Hello, i was wondering how do u get the VirtuaNES (japanese) version to use a PSX Pad. It is already recognized by my PC windows XP system and I have calibrated it. Can you please help. tx.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Hello, i was wondering how do u get the VirtuaNES (japanese) version to use a PSX Pad. It is already recognized by my PC windows XP system and I have calibrated it. Can you please help. tx.
- a bit off topic but,,, How do you not? You should just configure the buttons like you would any joystick. Make sure the analog button is pressed and the light is on..

Don't know where I can get them, Don't know if my parents would even let me buy one.
- all over the place, heck wallmart sells then.. Ebay is your best bet, but I'm guessing online is out huh?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
IF I had to explain my gifts as a kid I would have been in serious trouble. kids dont need to explain why the want certain gifts, all that is ever required is to say "but mom, its cool" ...

Why do people want fast cars that will only kill then?
Why do women want expensive jewelry they will only were ?
why do people collect things just to say they have them?
Why do most people have 2 GHZ systems and only use 25% of that power?

why, because its cool, why because we can, why because we are human....

You should not need an excuse, but if you do here ya go...

"mom, I want this adapter so I can play my playstation controller on my computer instead of buying a another controller. "

I can just see it now..

Moms generic blank xmas list Form.. Limited to ten items

Gift, - Projected amount, - Justification, - detail explanation.

Ok getting off topic, I'm just saying its not unreasonable IMO.

Last edited:

Genome

north west south west
having it run through the serial requires a chip to convert the signal (hope i said that right)

no chip=no controller

dude if nothing else just buy one yourself at walmart, they have playstation style controllers there for 15 bucks. if nothing else rake some leaves. its fall you know.

you could always rewire an xbox controller instead.

that requires no chips.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Well that depends on the maker, To some its an impossible task to others its a sinch.

For example if you know electronics go here.. http://www.zen35383.zen.co.uk/stnield/usb2psx.gif

You could make that for little of nothing . The hard part would be programming the chip but thats all explained here.. http://www.zen35383.zen.co.uk/stnield/usbpads.htm

Is it as easy as wiring and soldering.. No.. sorry. for usb you need a controller. You need this so that the computer can identify the component. Hence PnP. The chip is cheep, but needs the rite code. and you need a writer for that. So just to give you an Idea. If you have no electronic back ground and no chip programmer or test equipment you are looking at spending 100 bucks just to get started. In the case you only want one its best to fork over 10 bucks and buy one ;) Now if your up for the electronic route dont be shy ask questions Ill help you every step of the way. I dont mind I do it for fun.

Last edited: