PS2 Controller to USB Arcade mapping problem

Monkeymook

Ok. I'm trying to run Killer Instinct (Arcade Version) for a contest here at my school, and I have bought some Gamemon Universal PC Convertors to plug in two PS2 controllers. Now they are all mapped correctly, using D-Pads by way of JoytoKey :D. Now the problem is:

I correctly map each controller to Joystick one and two, but the buttons are registered as the same buttons, so after they get mapped, then when you hit a button on one controller in the game, the button on BOTH controllers are activated. How do I set this so that the buttons are recognized as different buttons on each controller?

The contest is on Saturday, so I'm hoping I can get a solution before then.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Hmm sounds like you went about this wrong? Ok a normal ps2 to usb adapter installs as a HID device. If it came with drivers your were probably better off not installing them.

First, check that the controller show in game controllers. I'm assuming you did ;)

second, tell us the emulator your using. I'm assuming mame.

third in mame press escape go to the controller set up and assign each move a joystick key, NOT A KEYBOARD KEY. Mame will let you assign each player a joystick button and control. There is no need to map any buttons to keys.

Monkeymook

Ok, so I'm testing out the controllers here. I have removed the drivers for the convertors, and the box installed successfully without drivers, and the controllers work correctly in Game Controllers. Now when I go to try to map them in Mame (I can't say I know what mame is; an arcade emulator?) U64emu, then the D-Pads still don't work. That's what I'm trying to use. Now I don't have this problem in ZSNES with Killer Instinct, just u64emu.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Your having emulator problems. U64emu, is for KI emulation. You could try another emulator. Mame has front ends. mame32 for example. Mame can be a bit of a pain if you dont have your roms at a matching version as mame. Personally i dont use anything else. Kawaks is A freeware emulator for Neo Geo and CPS 1/2 Systems. So is Nebula. Zinc emulates most 3d hardware intensive games. Rain is a "pretty" arcade emulator. But IMO Mame is your best bet. You will need to audit your roms first to see what version you need. Sorry I Dont know how to configure U64emu..

When you say d-pad, you mean the digital dirrection? I'm shocked it cant see the buttons,.. Do you have the controller light on?, that is the analog button pressed? You need that light on for most emulators to see all buttons, regardless if you're using digital buttons or analog.

Last edited:

Monkeymook

I shall try Mame. As for my controller, the analog light is on, and the Analog sticks work fully, and all the buttons work, but I can't disable analog, nor get the D-Pads to work without mapping them to buttons.

Monkeymook

Ok. I have ran MAME. Now I will say that I am very impressed that it doesn't gradually use up all my RAM, so that's a +5. How do I get it to recognize my controller? It does run KI also.

By the way, it's MAME 32b.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Ok. I have ran MAME. Now I will say that I am very impressed that it doesn't gradually use up all my RAM, so that's a +5. How do I get it to recognize my controller? It does run KI also.

By the way, it's MAME 32b.

If it runs KI dont worry about your mame version for now.. You will get that later...

Now hit tab... You will see a menu.. Config is straight forward. IF you get stuck read the help files... Good luck.

and WELCOME TO MAME!

Monkeymook

GRAET SUCCESS! It worked, and as it turns out, I have actually used MAME before, I just never knew what it was for! XD Thanks for your help. Both of the controllers work, and the drivers were not needed. God, I can't thank you enough. The contest should be a success. I may open a thread with photos of the contest running the arcade emulators and Stepmania.

Thanks, Steve

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Monkeymook, your welcome. I can't take all the credit after all I too learned on emulator-zone!! Goda love this place.. Good luck with the contest. I had a street fighter contest a few years back on mame. Had the @#$%@#$%uker hooked up top 4 15 inch speakers powered under a 200 watt home system. Thats was long night. Good thing I had extra controllers..

Also I just realized This box will work with the xbox. I'm going to make sure to add a xbox out for each of the four controllers.

Last edited: