General ePSXe Setup and Configuration

DragonKing69

10) Congratualtions! Hopefully your playing a game right now and enjoying it.

----------------------------------------------

If anyone has anything else useful to add for a beginner - knock yourself out. :)

followed all your steps, and no i'm not enjoying a game right now.

do you need the actual psx disc inorder to play?
if it's like the vba emu i have, i should just be able to download roms and play them

montpics

You can use either ISO or actual CD-ROM. :)

XLAUVAWKE

so uh, does anybody know how to slow down LoD (legend of dragoon) ?? i try using the video configurations to set the FPS max to 60 but when i load the game up it shoots to 200+ whilst playing?!?! gah, gunna keep trying to tweak it

EDIT: ahahaha oh wow, first thing i try after posting this works... lol me = dumb

Last edited:

SexRex

hey complete newbie here, I'll cut right to the chase. Ive followed the instructions up to the GPU config, when I try to config it says I do not have any plugins in the folder.

I followed the guideline and have extracted them into the right folder, could it be my graphics card may not be compatible with the plugins ?

my laptop uses an 82852/82855 GM/GME plug and play card ( its what the laptop came with, although I have ran WoW fine with it)

update: okay I got the GPU configured now onto the ISO's

thanks in advance and good job on the guidelines, I've gotten atleast this far:p

Last edited:

Hrothgar

I tried doing setting this up by myself, and it seems i did everything right. However the emulator didn't work. So I came on here and found this perfect post (Great explanation) on how to set up the emulator. The only thing I did wrong was I didn't put the emulator in program files.

I was just wondering, why is the emulator picky about where it goes? It's really weird and I've never heard of anything like it before. If anyone is a real buff on how these emulators work, could someone enlighten me?

Thanks for all the help

montpics

hey complete newbie here, I'll cut right to the chase. Ive followed the instructions up to the GPU config, when I try to config it says I do not have any plugins in the folder.
Make sure that you place all the plugins (only *.dll) in plugins folder.

@Hrothgar :
You can try pSX if you found ePSXe's guide is too hard for you.

Chronoless

Hello, I'm sorry to bother but I've been trying to play ff9 for the longest while,

Problem : I get a blank screen and nothing shows; I know the game works on the emulator.

What ive tried: I got epsxe 1.5.2 and 1.6.0. both of them got the bois (SCPH1001 and scph7502 ive tired using both bioses). I also got the additional aspi plugin and the sapu plugin together with the other plugins:

( epxse cdr wnt/w2k core 1.5.2. and epsxe cdr aspi core 1.5.2. and also sapu cd-rom plugin 1.0 segu ASPI32 driver 0.3 )

Ive tried running from the cd and also running from the iso.

Ive tested the bios and it works perfectly for both versions, no errors what so ever.

(P.S.) I also got epxse 1.5.2 on another computer, and when i try it there I get this error: recompile block too large : I've never gotten that error on my laptop)

Ive also tried some oher stuff, cant remember cuz my head hurts from this, and probably I have missed something out which I doubt :( so can anyone help me out? It would be much appreciated considering the amount of time I spent trying to get this to work =( I thank everyone in advance.. :)

Last edited:

Chronoless

OK I got it to work, thanks very much :)...but I can't seem to get the memory card on the emulator to work, in the game when I save it tells me "Failed to save data". I try deleting the memory cards I made and make new ones with "epsxecutor", formatted them then put them into the designated slots, 1 for the first and 2 for the second, but I still get the error :S...Iono what to do...:(

KillTheLightsxx

Alright. GG your guide is a major help. But I just have one problem

When I get to step 7, I do double click the "ePSXe.exe" file. And the following comes up: "This application has failed to start because burutter.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem" when I check it in WinZip, though, I can SEE the burutter.dll file. about 2 spaces up from the ePSXe.exe file. so what's the deal?

I have Re-installed it. I delete everything I downloaded from this guide off my computer completely, did the guide all over again, and still got only to step 7.

help would be appriciated =]

Dizzle

Hey guys!
Great thread but the problem i'm having is that when I try and run an iso it says that there is 'no WGL extention' and it closes down?? I think i've done everything correctly.
Thanks

montpics

You don't have a better graphic card that support T'n'L. Please try other plugins like P.E.Op.S plugin for GPU. :)

SuperShadowRyan

Yeah, I've tried everything, tutorial videos, all the plugins mentioned, I configured it properly, and all I get when I load an iso is:

*error loading [plugins\T3KOcpka.dll]
I have never seen that file, ever. Here is a screenshot:

HELPPSXE.png

Grr... I partially think it's because I run Windows Vista... But I don't know for sure... worked on my other computer... WhyTF does this always happen to me with emulators for fifth generation consoles?!?

EDIT: well, apperantly, I had to go and select Disabled Netplay for my netplay plugin since it was blank. Never mind.

Last edited:

Maximus

I Have got it to work except I have a few problems, im not getting any sound out of it do I need a new driver for this?
Also I set the keyboard up as a controller and it doesnt seem to be working, do I need an actual controller for it or can I use a keyboard/xbox 360 controller.
Cheers and without the guide I wouldnt have been able to do it!

Last edited:

Maximus

I have the sound working but when I try and play games, trying driver 2 ripped from a CD, it plays the intro and shows the loading screen and then when its fully loaded all I get is a blank screen.
Cheers

Hjustin2

S.O.U._Hawk Eye
General Epsxe Setup and Configuration:

1) First you will need to make sure you have the latest copy of epsxe. As of today - August 1, 2004 - the most recent version is 1.6.0. If you do not have this release you can download it here...

| ePSXe |

2) Once the file is finished downloading double-click it's icon. The file should automatically open in an archiving program such as Winzip or WinRAR. If you don't have such a program you can download one from either of these locations...

| Winzip |
| WinRAR |

Keep in mind both of the previous downloads are evaluation copies or "trial versions"

Once you open the epsxe zip file choose to extract all of it's contents to the following path (this can be done by manual navigation to that location or by typing out the path name):

DRIVE:/Program Files/epsxe (Replacing "DRIVE" with your hard drive's letter)

3) Retrieve a Playstation BIOS file from elsewhere on the internet. It is considered in most countries to be illegal to be in possession of such a file so we cannot post links to it here. The file you will need can have two names --- one for NTSC (North American) games and one for PAL (European) games. Most likely - you will need the NTSC file. They are titled as follows:

- NTSC - SCPH1001.BIN
- PAL - SCPH7502.BIN

4) Once you have successfully download the correct BIOS for your region, extract it or place it in the following folder (assuming you used the suggested installation directory for epsxe as stated above)

DRIVE:/Program Files/epsxe/bios ("DRIVE" being you hard drive letter)

5) Next you will need to download some plugins for epsxe. Mainly you will need GPU (graphics proccessing unit) and SPU (sound proccessing unit) plugins. These are simply recommendations based on which plugins "normally" achieve optimum performance in most PCs. Download the following files.

GPU Plugins:
| Pete's OpenGL GPU |
| Pete's OpenGL2 PSX GPU |

SPU Plugins:
| Eternal SPU 1.41 |

6) Once you have download all of the previous files (which will open in Winzip or WinRAR) extract all of their contents to the following directory:

DRIVE:/Program Files/epsxe/plugins (Provided you used the suggested path)

7) Once you have done all of this it's time to start epsxe for the first time. Go to the directory you installed epsxe too and double click the icon titled 'ePSXe.exe'. The program should start shortly.

8) You should be greeted with a popup box titled 'Welcome to the ePSXe config setup'. This is a "wizard" to get you started. If you've already run epsxe for the first time and want to access the wizard again click 'CONFIG > WIZARD GUIDE'. If you feel like reading then read what it says - otherwise click "CONIFG >>>" on the bottom right hand corner.

You will first be prompted for the BIOS configuration. Provided you have downloaded the correct BIOS and placed it in the proper folder you should see it listed in the white box. Make sure it is highlighted/selected and click "NEXT >>>"

Next comes the GPU configuration. In the white box will be a list of all the plugins you have for graphics. I suggest using Pete's OpenGL driver but depending on your PC specs - it may be trial and error until you find a plugin which produces desirable results. Once you have selected one click "NEXT >>>"

Here you will need to select the 'Eternal SPU Plugin 1.41' from the white box. This plugin should be the best all round for nearly any system. Click "NEXT >>>"

Now you will need to select a CD-ROM plugin. I recommend that if you are going to be playing from actual CDs to simply select 'epsxe CDR ASPI core 1.5.2' and click 'Configure' right under the white list box. In the popup which appears it will say "Select CD-ROM" and have a drop down list below it. Drop down the list and pick whichever of your drives you would like to use for reading the discs. Click "OK". If you plan on playing from image files or ISOs then you can ignore what I just said. Click "NEXT >>>"

Next comes configuring the gamepads. This should be pretty self explanitory. Click on which Pad to configure and change buttons to your preference. Click "NEXT >>>" when you are done. Click "DONE"

9) Ok. Now if all is well you can attempt to play a game. For users who wish to play from an actual PSX disc you can put it in the cd/dvd drive you selected earlier now. When ready Click "File > Run CDROM". Be patient and hope for the best.

Users who wish to play ISOs can mount the image directly in epsxe by clicking "File > Run ISO" and selecting your image in the popup window which shortly proceeds.

10) Congratualtions! Hopefully your playing a game right now and enjoying it.

If anyone has anything else useful to add for a beginner - knock yourself out. :)
I was downloading Civilization 2 for the ePSXe. there were like 8 different files. the files are RAR. PART. Do i have to get all them??

Also I just tried copying to hard drive from my cd. It stopped saying files couldn't copy, so i tried to skip them because they didn't seem needed. Ex. Wounder00.STR
Wasn't there a program that would let me Rip and Copy??