ms dos agian

shadowwoelf

ok i finally got the dosbox to work for some reason it only works when my internet is on never the less i got in and now i want to know how can i run .exe files

Guitar Gamer

All you have to do is type the path of the file you wish to run - so something like this..

C:/Example/Example/MyProgram.exe

Pretty light weight stuff! :) *thumbs up*

Guitar Gamer

Eek. I always do that by accident...

C:\Imstupid\Allapologies\Changeslashes.exe

shadowwoelf - It's good to know the command prompt quite well in general. I'd recommend searching a little bit for some basic DOS tutorials. There's some useful things you should know in case of a Windows emergency. *thumbs up* :)

onewecallgod

to enter a folder: cd [insert folder name here]

to view a text file: type [insert textfile name here]

to run a file: [insert filename here including the extension]

to go back to c:\: cd\

to view the folder/drive contents: dir

thats really all you need to know to use dos

shadowwoelf

thxs everyone but when i try to run a game the thing wont work it does the begining allgood but then it goes blank and by the way gutiar gamer right now i am busy learing html and javascript and besides i was like only 8 when msdos was an accecity

Guitar Gamer

Don't worry - you can learn enough of DOS to get by for the most part in a matter of minutes. :) Just glance at what onewecallgod posted and you'll be set. :)

shadowwoelf

oo and by the way all u have to do is amke a folder named dosproc in your c:\
c:\dosprog\game.exe

then all u have to do is go into dir and type in

c:\>game.exe

to run it u dont have to write all of it out

and by the way anyone know where i can test out my dosbox with a dos program to see if it might be my programs fault

J

Jet Set Willy

You need to mount a directory on your drive to use in DOSBox, you can't just access your entire filesystem.

Z:\> mount c c:\dosprog
Z:\> c:
C:\> game.exe

Have you tried VDMSound? It's mostly better. After you install it, find your game in the Windows Explorer, right click it, and select "Run with VDMSound".

shadowwoelf

hehehe i already mounted everything and did everything u said already but it still doesnt seem to work and i am going to try out the program right now

shadowwoelf

ok i tryed the program yet it doesnt seem to work it runs then it goes blank anyone got any game that i can trty out to see if it is the game that is messed up and does anyone play constructor here and knows that it works on the emulators

J

Jet Set Willy

Originally posted by shadowwoelf@Aug 4 2004, 03:53 AM
ok i tryed the program yet it doesnt seem to work it runs then it goes blank anyone got any game that i can trty out to see if it is the game that is messed up and does anyone play constructor here and knows that it works on the emulators
Ah, Constructor.

Downloaded from The Underdogs, right? I got that to work... eventually. It's too slow in DOSBox, and won't work well with VDMSound on its own. The answer lies on this page:

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=1221

Good luck.

shadowwoelf

actually i didnt download form the underdogs i actually bought the cd but no normal cd the cd had alone in the dark too and other various games on it

shadowwoelf

that document didnt really help me out all i found waas the link to the underdogs and i will try it out by the way what did u do to get yoursto work

J

Jet Set Willy

I did what that page said. Try reading it properly, particularly this part:

Constructor -DOS version (in winxp)

1. Download the univbe modified drivers from here: http://home.student.utwente.nl/r.muller...index.html (in the video problems section).

-Extract them and go to the \53a subfolder it created and copy the univbe.drv file from there to the game's /settings subfolder

2. Download the "VESA 2.0 patch for Windows NT/2000/XP (09/21/ 2002)" (nolfb.zip) from here: http://www.advsys.net/ken/build.htm

-Extract and place the files into the game's main folder.

3. You can either use notepad to create a start.bat file like this:

nolfb.com
game.exe

And then use VDMSound on setsound.bat (to configure the sound) and then use the Launcher's default VDMS config. on start.bat to play.

OR

Use VDMSound on setsound.bat (to configure the sound) and then on game.exe to play (but use the Launcher's "custom configuration" setup option to add this line:

C:\full path to\NOLFB.COM

[Note: If you do it this way, you have to use the full path even if nolfb.com is in the same directory as the game. Also, using the VDMS "autoexec.bat" box has a tendency (on my machine anyways) to crash Explorer if you are DblClicking on a VDMS shortcut.]

...into the "advanced" "dos environment" "autoexec.bat" box.

4. If you receive an error about "networking" and/or experience a frozen mouse...

Open c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt with notepad and change:

lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir

to this:

REM lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir

and then save.

[If you are actually using DOS networking for anything you will need to turn it back on later and this may or may not disable multiplayer in the game. VDMS's "enable low level networking" may also come into play (one way or the other) but I didn't think about that 'til now, so I don't know.]

-If I didn't forget anything the game should work fine.

Good Luck!

I don't think downloading the version from The Underdogs is going to help you much. Nothing is fixed in that version - in fact, a lot of non-essentials are removed from the game.