Make your own Xbox to USB addaptor

RiderLeangle

So basicly you need to make something to hook up to your PC, Like some kind of USB wireless device?
Would this device be able to work for 98SE? (I sure as hell hope so)

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
So basicly you need to make something to hook up to your PC, Like some kind of USB wireless device?
- yes

Would this device be able to work for 98SE?
- No, you would not be able to find the drivers to support 98.

on a side note an xbox is just a usb device so in lu of your other topic, if you have an xbox controller you could "twist, and tie" the wires together to get a usb device in this case. It would work for the wireless too you just need to open it up.

blueshogun96

The Old Kid
Why!? Its a CONTROLLER! It can't be THAT DAMN HARD to have a computer read!

If it's not that hard then how come no one has done it yet?? Seriously, writing a driver is not an easy task unless you are fluent with driver programming and have FULL hardware documentation on what you are writing a driver for. Things don't just magically work, they need to have a driver to make it work for your PC. And in order to write a driver, you need the Windows DDK which you need permission from microsoft to obtain.

There's no need to take it to that tone :mad: If device X doesn't work with whatever OS you want it to, that's too bad. Sorry if my reaction was a bit extreme but you sound as if you don't realize the difficulties of reverse engineering hardware. If it were easy, we'd have enough information to write a 360 emu right about now with compatibility, but not speed.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Why!? Its a CONTROLLER! It can't be THAT DAMN HARD to have a computer read!
- that is like saying why wont my garage door opener turn on my coffee pot.

let me dumb this down a bit:

The controller talks to a receiver via a lingo. Take for example the metaphor sign language. First you need to be able to see, then you need to learn the signs. Same thing with the controller. First you need to be able to see the signal ( a receiver) then you need to decode it so you will be able to process it. It is not like its magic, there is a way to do things. you cant just plug up a to b and get c.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
its not hard, just not that many interested yet. I'm planning on making a universal wireless adapter but not till I create some revenue on my current box.

SE, sure not that tricky but it is so antiquated, I mean really why use 98 any more?

heck for all we know someone may have done it already, would not hurt to search around.

RiderLeangle

SE, sure not that tricky but it is so antiquated, I mean really why use 98 any more?
Because when you got your computer XP was full of security holes and errors so you downgraded then your CD drive broke so you can't upgrade.

its not hard, just not that many interested yet. I'm planning on making a universal wireless adapter but not till I create some revenue on my current box.

heck for all we know someone may have done it already, would not hurt to search around.
So basicly someone could make an addapter that reads 360 controller wireless signals (and hopefully is easy to homebrew) but no one WANTS to make one?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Because when you got your computer XP was full of security holes and errors so you downgraded then your CD drive broke so you can't upgrade.
- You sound like your talking in the 90'ds? thats all old news, Windows in it's self has security issues and always will. As its the most popular platform its the biggest target. Xp is not that bad, it is the best m$ product out there for gaming.

So basicly someone could make an addapter that reads 360 controller wireless signals (and hopefully is easy to homebrew) but no one WANTS to make one?
- Yes it could be done, but no not easy. I'm sure people want to , and have tried. Just that most would give up, and deiced its not worth it.

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
- You sound like your talking in the 90'ds? thats all old news, Windows in it's self has security issues and always will. As its the most popular platform its the biggest target. Xp is not that bad, it is the best m$ product out there for gaming. /QUOTE]

Finally.... A non-bias opinion about one of Microsofts products. :bow:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
sorry I worded that wrong.

TchuBacha, are you suggesting my opinions towards m$ er, Microsoft are normally bias?

but yes, I was attempting a sarcastic comment. As normally I talk down about M, though i do give credit where do.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
No Im saying that most people's opinions about microsoft are bias.
- could not agree with you more and XP does not deserver the credit it gets. Granted it had its issues... but its the plane train syndrome. People are afraid to fly because of the crashes .. well that is because you here about every one. and its how often?? Statistically its safer to fly then drive...

Same thing with linux / M$.. Linux is all super and support reliable, and XP is not. Well how many people try to hack linux? and how many people actually run it? Of course XP seems more crappy....Not that I'm against linux and pro M$. I just hate unfair comparisons. They both have there qualities, good and bad.

Sorry for the rant

Last edited: