The ultimate controller box has begun AKA Bliss-Box

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
NOTE: After doing some searching on the name Bliss-Box, I may be forced to change it. But I must state I'm not in cooperation or affiliation with any of the lesbo or sexual products out there that have this name.... LOL

Ok some of you know of my previous design

or larger images at..http:///spawnlinux.ddns.net/controler/old.jpg

and others know of the new design that I have been pondering. In short this project of mine is to create a controller switch box for all possible types of controllers in one box.

Please: I know we all have different opinions and such, as we each are entitled to ore own. I ask kindly, let’s keep this post for the people that are interested. There really is no need for “Oh that’s stupid, just do this”, Or “Oh that will never happen, because of this” .. Really that is severing little of no purpose.

For those of you that are interested, new to, or aware of this project. I’m happy to let you know do to Genome’s inquires I have decided to commit to this. At first this project seemed quite pricey. But do to a bit of research I found some attracted deals and an open source project out there that will make this quite affordable. Keep in mind as most of you know, if you bought all that was required as separate converters and attempted an all in one with USB switch boxes you would be over 500$ easy. My plan is to stay under 100$. Now, depending on my new friends I ran in to , it may even be possible to get it under 75$. If I had the connection ends (console female plugs) supplied I could build one for under 50$. Now this is all hypothetical but dam attractive, huh?
Ok enough talk here is the project.

This is OPEN SOURCE!!! So if you have any thoughts or would like blueprints they are welcome.

Idea one.. beta dawning.

All of the adapters are do-able, but not cheap yet. I hope to fix that… This is a 4 pull 4 throw box. That means 4 players coming in and 1 usb out with 4 usb's internal via a hub. The only usb you will see is the end of the HUB since it’s in the box. Theoretically, you will be able to change joysticks on the fly.. Like playing Mario with any of the following, and no need to pause or close the EMU. This is possible because I have the schematic for the chips. This is under that assumption all chips have the same firmware. This would not work with some of the joysticks if my buddies can’t create a chip for that. This feature may not be implemented in the final design do to programming limitation (will just have to wait and see). The down fall to this design is Moe and Curly can use nes but Lary can’t use his snes He must also use the nes. It’s a 4 player all or none. My second thought is to make a one box controller to usb.

This way everyone is independent of each other. Only down fall here is you won’t know who player one is, that is dependent on the USB bus. And it will change on you… Personally I hate this..

Other notes: :
Most chips come with a 1 year warranty so if something goes nutty you could have it checked out. Only problem here is you may not know what to look for . you could always ask me on the board here if you needed help. This is not to say these chips are faulty, warranties show good design not bad.

What can you do to help::
One thing that always helps is price watching. There are some tricky ways to find good deals. Like the multi taps for controller ends.. So If you know where to find cheep parts, by all means post that here..

Can you fabricate? Heck maybe some of you can make parts. Like sticker decals or actual plastic controller fittings. It’s not impossible… Just not my expertise.

So please for those that are interested what would make this project better? This is the best emulation board out there IMO, and you are the ones that made it so. So let it be a part of us all, I’ll just do all the hard work ;)

Info:

UPDATE: new 4-play page up http://4-play.bliss-box.net/

the open source project I speak of for chips is here. http://shop.raphnet.net/products/4nes4snes/index.php?category=Kits

A nice list of controller projects out there..
http://www.1emulation.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t13925.html

The electronic parts total is. $20 This is for the 4 player box.
the plastic box is around $8
the controller ends are unknown for now.
USB hub $5 or so.
The kicker right now are the chips at 6.99 a piece. I did however find the un programmed chips for 3.66 and the programmer for $25 this could help a bit.

Last edited:

Ryanfaescotland

That's the first I've heard about a project like this and I'm definitly interested as far as I'd like to know if you ever make such a device but I can't say I'd ever buy one or make my own. Maybe I'm not as 'hardcore' an emulator fan as others but I find my generic PC control pad which is similar in shape to the PS1 pad does all I want and although the thought of using the original controller is pretty cool it really wouldn't last and I'd soon find I end up just using the same controller for everything anyways.

I know you didn't really want comments like the one above but I thought I'd get across my thought on the matter so that you can see my stance before I comment on anything else. That way you can dismiss my further comments easier :D

My first concern would be with the amount of wires all those controllers would spawn! I get pissed off with my 2 ps2 wires tangling never mind 40!

Moe and Curly can use nes but Lary can’t use his snes He must also use the nes.

I was going to ask if there were many computers that could run 2 emulators simutaneously but I think I may have misunderstood what you meant. So when Nes controllers are 'on' only Nes controllers can be used yeah?

Are there any Atari games that would warrent having 4 controllers in? Might cut costs a little if you get rid of 2 of the atari ports.

Also instead of having the led next to the name of the system currently active why not have it undernieth so that the whole name lights up? A small matter but I reckons it would look more professional.

Also the selector button above the leds instead of below would make it easier to press.

Hope I helped :)

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
That's the first I've heard about a project like this and I'm definitly interested as far as I'd like to know if you ever make such a device but I can't say I'd ever buy one or make my own. Maybe I'm not as 'hardcore' an emulator fan as others but I find my generic PC control pad which is similar in shape to the PS1 pad does all I want and although the thought of using the original controller is pretty cool it really wouldn't last and I'd soon find I end up just using the same controller for everything anyways.
- Yes to each there own indeed. I'm just the type that loves to emulate and experiences as close to the original with out actually using it.

I know you didn't really want comments like the one above but I thought I'd get across my thought on the matter so that you can see my stance before I comment on anything else. That way you can dismiss my further comments easier
- No I'm referring to the rude unwanted comments, you are fine. I do appriciate constructive criticisms as well, just not the over opinionated a$$'s that just want to put there view as they see them.. I'm interested in comments to help or condone this project not oppose it. It's not a money project its a hobby, and its for those that want to sue it. Although I welcome advice like yours...

I was going to ask if there were many computers that could run 2 emulators simutaneously but I think I may have misunderstood what you meant. So when Nes controllers are 'on' only Nes controllers can be used yeah?
- Yes as in, if a Nes emu is running you would be stuck with all the same controller of a kind. Every one is forced to use nes unless it is switched to snes, and in that case every one is on snes.. .

Are there any Atari games that would warrent having 4 controllers in? Might cut costs a little if you get rid of 2 of the atari ports.
- Again great point. but I figure what the heck.. I may have a section of old controllers that are two way only, good .. Ill keep that in mind...

Also instead of having the led next to the name of the system currently active why not have it undernieth so that the whole name lights up? A small matter but I reckons it would look more professional.
- Not sure I follow. do you mean the name lights up? Like a cut out of the logo as the LED, that could be cool..

Also the selector button above the leds instead of below would make it easier to press.
- Do you just mean to have it up top, I would tend to agree here also....

Thx Ryanfaescotland I applicate it..

Last edited:

Ryanfaescotland

- Yes as in, if a Nes emu is running you would be stuck with all the same controller of a kind. Every one is forced to use nes unless it is switched to snes, and in that case every one is on snes..

Well I doubt there would be many situations where this was an issue but I guess it counts as a flaw, an extreamly minor one in my mind.

- Again great point. but I figure what the heck.. I may have a section of old controllers that are two way only, good .. Ill keep that in mind...
Yeah I'd reckon what the heck as well just thought I'd raise the point. Cosmeticly it may look better with the four but if 2 of them are unusable then why bother having them there?

- Not sure I follow. do you mean the name lights up? Like a cut out of the logo as the LED, that could be cool..

Yeah like a bit of plastic with the logo written on it in clear plastic so that when the LED behind lights up it shines through, it's kinda hard to explain

- Do you just mean to have it up top, I would tend to agree here also....

yeah either on top or on the front on the top right hand corner as apposed to bottem right. I just think this would make it a bit easier to press if it is sitting ontop of something (a desk or so on)

Here's a wee pic of my thoughts
blissbox4.png

As you can see it's all cosmetic changes so it really makes little difference to the actual working of the box. Plus this is just my thoughts obviously everyone you ask will have little cosmetic changes they'd make.

insanemaniak

This User Is Insane
Well, since i have like 1 minute left this is just a little idea from me, i'll give more tomorrow but eh, to be honest arn't you forgetting size? Not many people would want say a 20 cm box connected to their laptop or computer to use one or two controllers, and these days i don't know many people who play 4 player on one computer? (Play button = Selector, since gimp wouldn't open i just used paint so it won't be very detailed sorry.)

Otherwise it's a great project from what i'm hearing, keep up the good work!

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Well, since i have like 1 minute left this is just a little idea from me, i'll give more tomorrow but eh, to be honest arn't you forgetting size? Not many people would want say a 20 cm box connected to their laptop or computer to use one or two controllers, and these days i don't know many people who play 4 player on one computer? (Play button = Selector, since gimp wouldn't open i just used paint so it won't be very detailed sorry.)

Otherwise it's a great project from what i'm hearing, keep up the good work!

No I took sizes in to consideration, but I also want it to look appealing. I see where you're going but the staggered look it too much, Let me know what else you have in mind and it is only beta.

I wanted to make a box that would allow up to four players. That being one of the goals. Yes its going to be a bit big.. But I'm working on that. This is why I also opted for the single box. that way you could have four boxes if needed.. I may make the connectible and just do like an add on type of deal. Not really sure what way its going to go, and this is why I need the feed back I'm getting so far.. Keep em coming..

Also recent investigation shows I MAY not sure yet, but may be able to build custom boxes with little ease.

Oh, and if any one knows of a nice looking project box let me know. I personally would like a trapezoid type of box. ( BUT I CANT FIND ONE!! GRR ) . With newer controllers on the front and older on the sides..

here is a list of boxes, but I don't see one that hits me.
http://www.hammondmfg.com/scpgPL.htm

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
newzo1.png
- here is a new thought I had, ( I missed an LED for the center, and I meant for the size to be 4 sets of 2 for those systems that only use two anyways. ) . the big circle is the switcher. Ill fix this up when i get home.

Another note some controllers can use the same switch position. For example. XBOX 1 and 2 will use the same switch position but different connectors(I think they are different ). Same with n64 and game cube and snes nes. They are all the same chip for the converter, So i could group them. Also most of the old consoles atari sega... use the serial db9 So I could just group all of those in on section. May do that and just have the LED change. And I think for compatibility ill mount 4 usb connectors on there as well along the bottom as one of the switch options. Would take no extra hardware or cost.

Last edited:

insanemaniak

This User Is Insane
You could always get rid of the leds and select botton and insert switches or something, you know like the one on the back of a PS2/3?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
you are full of suggestions my friend keep 'em coming..

but!

You could always get rid of the leds and select botton and insert switches or something, you know like the one on the back of a PS2/3?
- This is a 12 pull/trow switch.. Meaning..

12 lines in , 12 lines out and that is to say 12 lines get switch simultaneously as it switches. In other words you would need 6 or 12 switches for each switch, unless there was a 12 pull/trow push switch .. and if there was it would not be cheep..

Code:
swtich

||
   || 
   ||
---  ---
---  ---
---  ---
---  ---
---  ---
---  ---
---  ---
---  ---
---  ---
---  ---
---  ---
---  ---

BTW: not looking for charity here , but if any one wants to donate junk please do.

junk list..Ya its junk.. But very valuable to this project. All the items can be totally busted, I mean to the point of being ran over, seriously If I can salvage oscillators from it I'm doing great.

Any USB device. Including hubs, (mice are rare treats I used 10 of my junk mice already)
Any joystick pc or console.
Any console connectors (female)

Or if you have skills here are the components.

1.5k resistors
68 ohm resistors.
led's
3.6 volts zener diodes. (hard to find)
330 ohm resistor
12 Mhz crystal. or 6 mz, nice finds ;)
27 pf capacitors.
10uf capacitor.
lm317 regulator ( common , but a nice find)

For those that ask, yes I know they are mega cheep on line i.e mouser.com, but I'm looking for 100's of them so I can make lot of them. For example its 20 bucks just to make two, when you add up all the zeros is not cheep any more... So If you have anything you want to get ride of PM me. Hope this is not a forum rule I'm braking? No money just junk...;)

Here is the new trapezoid design.

blissbox5.png

Last edited:

Genome

north west south west
ulalalo you know i have a dire need of this device. my project...which im nervous to speak of outload here... requires such a device and belive it or not 100 clams is pretty cheap compared to rest of the stuff im buying.

2 500 gb hdd, a $200 arcade stick, etc.

this is really going to be the heart of the beast though as the main focus was to achive exactly what this device offers. i can personally send you 2 female nes plugs, i know thats not much right now but its a start right? i will obviously gather alot more before i spend the $$$ for shipping. i will look around flea markets, yard sales, salvation army. whatever it takes to get you as many plugs as i can then i will send them all to you at once. i suggest you do the same too to save time.love the led idea i was thinking something similar as well :)

it will be later next week before i can send you my project log, my pc is currently at a co-workers for torrenting. i shall scan what i have written down, make a photoshop projection of the finished item, and tell you (in pm of course) what i have in mind. if you like i can give you everything you need to duplicate it for yourself:D

im going out of town for the weekend so i will have to gather it all next week. i think you will be very impressed. i know that i am with what you put up here. i really hope this all pans out. you have no idea how many hundreds of hours ( and dollars )this could save me:happy:

as for mine a face plate is really a must, as this is going to be built into something. perhaps fitting it with a couple of places for screws on the ends. obviously we will have lots of time to decide all of this stuff.

just thought of something. im going to go to the local classic gaming store, and ask if they have any parts or busted systems they are junking, never know if they could have some useful items to grab for free.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
ulalalo you know i have a dire need of this device. my project...which im nervous to speak of outload here... requires such a device and belive it or not 100 clams is pretty cheap compared to rest of the stuff im buying.

2 500 gb hdd, a $200 arcade stick, etc.
- Ya you and me both ;).. Oh dont you know it. 100 is a dream for any one like us, :confused: Are there any others?? What can we say we just love are emu boxes... I rememebr my old plan to build a stand up arcade emu box. .. Never did find a broken arcade box cheep enough.

i can personally send you 2 female nes plugs, i know thats not much right now but its a start right?
- I have 2 and I'm getting a 4 score , so yes its a big save since I want to build two of these at once, (yours and mine). Just get with my on hotmail.

i suggest you do the same too to save time.
- as we type.. Well not literally.

it will be later next week before i can send you my project log, my pc is currently at a co-workers for torrenting. i shall scan what i have written down, make a photoshop projection of the finished item, and tell you (in pm of course) what i have in mind. if you like i can give you everything you need to duplicate it for yourself
- Ya, Still waiting to see whats this is,,,,

as for mine a face plate is really a must, as this is going to be built into something. perhaps fitting it with a couple of places for screws on the ends. obviously we will have lots of time to decide all of this stuff.just thought of something. im going to go to the local classic gaming store, and ask if they have any parts or busted systems they are junking, never know if they could have some useful items to grab for free.
- Ya I'm thinking of a few graphic designing as well.. And yes it never hurts to ask...

haunter=best

Haunter = best pokemon
this seems like a pretty good project, and if it where for sale, i'd definitely buy it! still, here's a suggestion:
would you be able to make it like, attach, to all consoles? like instead of just pc, it works in gamecube, PS2, Dreamcast etc. so that if you only have a gamecube controller you could plug it into a PS2 and use it on that? you know, i think this sounded better in my head but what the heck.

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
ulaoulao: Looks great, something I would be into, even got an Atari stick input. Maybe when ya release it, you should open a market here, you got a knack for a wiring man. ;)

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Hey DD.. Er I mean Desert Drifter DD doesn't sound right. Ya I'm thinking of making a vintage port instead of a buch of db9's. Just one with a db9 that supports all of the old stuff. They used to use that connector for every thing back then. The adapter circuit I have supports all of them.

Also a bit of an update on the project:

After much searching and talking. The best price I could find for controller connectors (extension cables) was 1.75 per. So I decided to look in to making them. Turns out its possible with a moulding kit I found. So I guess Ill be in the casting business also. And Looks like custom boxes will not be a problem. So I can build any type of box.

I'm still not sure if I should make a 4 in one (2 for vintage) , or just a 1 style box. I guess I need to take a vote. If any one would like to cast a vote for what they think would be better or would like let me know. that is the 4 player version or one player version switch box.

Last edited:

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
Hey DD.. Er I mean Desert Drifter DD doesn't sound right. Ya I'm thinking of making a vintage port instead of a buch of db9's. Just one with a db9 that supports all of the old stuff. They used to use that connector for every thing back then. The adapter circuit I have supports all of them.

Fine with me, not like their really in demand these days anyhow. :p DD...? Yeah, doesn't sound like me, usually everyone just calls me: Drifter or by my first: Drake. ;)

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Another thing that would be really helpful from anyone, is to list what connectors you would like.

So far my though is to break it up in to these sections.

- NES -

nes
snes
n64
gc

- sega -

ms/gen/mm all use db9 (aka serial mouse )
Saturn
dc

- psx -
ps1/2 the same
3 I think its wireless now.

- xbox -

xbox 1 / 2 - same
xbox 3 wireless WIP

- vintage -

intellivision - db9 i think?

colecovision- no idea?

Atari STe, Atari Falcon030, Atari Jaguar - used vga style I think?

tg16 - WIP

I may make one universal wireless adapter , not sure how much luck ill have here.