The ultimate controller box has begun AKA Bliss-Box

Zach

Personally I would consider increasin the dimensions enough so that all controller ports sit flush with the body. But that's more of an aesthetic choice I guess. Although it probably would give a little more room for wiring if its a bit cramped already.

Also.. have you considered the possibility of putting them all on the face side? Like length-wise.. I'm guessing the internal layout may have made that impossible.

I may have to scour a store for a decent number of controllers to test this with too, when it comes time to get my review copy.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
It looks like its coming along nicely! I am teaching my self coding, maybe someday I can help you out. XD I can only do simple games like Pong though. =[
-Ways to go, but programming is fun.

Personally I would consider increasin the dimensions enough so that all controller ports sit flush with the body. But that's more of an aesthetic choice I guess.
- sorta came to that conclusion myself Zack, I started setting the controllers a bit deep in the box. The extrusion did look a bit cheep. Yes the wires were to problem but I think its manageable.

Also.. have you considered the possibility of putting them all on the face side? Like length-wise.. I'm guessing the internal layout may have made that impossible.
- Yes, if you look back it should be talked about. It didnt really fit nor look right..

I may have to scour a store for a decent number of controllers to test this with too, when it comes time to get my review copy.
-- Would help a lot!, should have one ready for you soon here.

Thx for the feed back.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Hi! Its one of the nice post which I really like a lot,Its very informative as well as innovative one,its the post which written well which is very easy to understand,I must say your write is of top notch and i will surely frequent your site.It having one of the fabulous tips which is very useful for the newbies.Managed Services its the site which contain an outstanding informations which is very useful and those informations on business and technologies is just hilarious one so its the site which I appreciate a lot,Let's look on dat and thanks.
- ::confused::- is this a complement or spam?

In other news...
the compatibility list is up..big thx to my number one beta tester Tommy!

and a new site in the works

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Success!!

I have complete them all. for a Full list see the compatibility list.

new site is up.

Preview pic
beta1_new_labeled.png

1 PC_FX
2 atari jaguar ( vga )
3 Saturn
4 Xbox
5 snes
6 DB9 ( sega/atari/etc.. )
7 game cube
8 n64
9 nes
10 psx
11 dream cast
12 neogeo
13 tg16/pce

My beta tester'... Is doing great. Thx to him for such a large list. And I thought I had a lot of controllers...Thx Tommy..

I will from this point on be working on tweaks and bugs. I also plan to make the atari paddle work. After a few months I will start production. ( Zack, this is when you get yours )

Features to mention.

* Auto Pause, most controllers have an auto pause when the controller is unplugged. When you are in the middle of a game and your fried, wife, or otherwise clueless parter trips over your cord resulting in NO GAME CONTROLE, the game will pause ;)

* Auto Detect, no switches needed. The Bliss-Box will detect the controller. The Bliss-Box is Out of the Box ready. Nothing need, no drivers, wiring, or setup. Plug in the controller, then the Bliss-Box, and you are done.

* Upgrades. The chip is designed to be upgraded via the neogeo connector. If you know how to use an avr-isp you can do this on your own, otherwise it requires shipping to be upgraded. For avr info see the technical page.

* Full emulation, each controller is fully emulated unless otherwise stated. For example psx2 pressure sensitive buttons work! Version 1.0 of the Bliss-Box did not intended to support rumble or mem pack reading. This is planned in 2.0 (see 2.0 notes in "what is new new" section on the web site)

Beta testers:
This adapter takes a long time to make and I dont have time to make them for anyone that wants to test them for me. I need to do this before mass production as you can imagine. I will list all beta testers on here and I'm not sure how many yet, but dont think I will go very high.

Zack ( I think his need is more so for a review )
me ( duhh)
TommyS

Last edited:

Zach

I had a nice critical reply all typed out, but I don't want to get into that now... Visited the site, it looks nice enough, but I'm not sure how you intend to get actual beta testers from your target market audience.

However, this "$150 beta-testing privilege" is news to me, and I sincerely hope you were not expecting to drop that on me last minute without expecting a negative reaction:excl:

On the whole, assuming this all blows over I might be able to help out, with some copy-editing and that kind of stuff, or involve myself more in the creation of general documentation and other literature/FAQ's to be included with production models.

I really do need to break out and dust off my Adobe CS2/3 skills though.. I think a slight redesign of OSG is in order too, or perhaps changing the way it is presented (those new "flip it like a real mag. sites are nice) but I always wanted to do customized crap for each section, but suck at graphics.. alas poor me.. It will give me something to work on, and I guess when the PReview/Review of the Beta goes down, should fall in place with a new issue coming out.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Zach, anyone ever tell you, you complain to much...?

If you paid a bit more attention to the posts you would know that your listed a bit different. I never asked to pay any amount :confused:. I though I made it clear that since your version was for a review ( helpful to me ) and not so much as to wanting one, that I had no intentioned of asking for money from you. So sorry for the confusion. Also people dont get select to be a beta tester then get told to pay up? They become beta testers out of freewill. Also the reason you are waiting, is that I want you to review the top end version. not the hand made version.

the 150 is simply for people that want it all in one. and is 35 + ( how many 10's you want to test ). The cost is not inflated, its actually a deal considering the time that goes in to it. And you will not find a pc-fx adapter, or a 3d0 adapter, to mention a few... Nor a way to get it all for better then this price. If anyone got off the lazy ass and tried to do it them selves, its friggen free????????. Of course you need to buy the parts, like I do... Not to mention, and as stated on the page, you can try the DIY version. All you need to do is twist wires.... So yeah, I'm asking 150 for my time, sue me?

but I'm not sure how you intend to get actual beta testers from your target market audience.
- To be honest I cant keep up with orders...And now there is even more of a demand since I can make it work on an XBOX. I only list the people that give feedback. Most people don't care about beta testing it and just want it. If I did give them away or at most, cheaply, I would have a bunch of kids beta testing for me.

On the whole, assuming this all blows over I might be able to help out, with some copy-editing and that kind of stuff, or involve myself more in the creation of general documentation and other literature/FAQ's to be included with production models.
Any help would be appreciated. As it stands I never had much help from day one. But that is mainly attributed to the fact its not an easing thing to do. Even things like building a web site i had to do. The biggest help thus far is Tommy ( beta man ) and Drifter for the logo.

I here you on cs skills, been out the loop for a bit.. programming does that to you.

I'm not sure what type of impression you planned to cast here, nor do I understand the exact intent. But here is what I gathered..

a) You dont care how much it costs as long you you dont have to pay it?
b) You think I'm ridicules for asking beta testers to pay such an amount.

If so I hope I cleared that up for you...

Oh an just to clear the air, nothing against you, as I always, you just see, like a very opinionated guy.

__hmm lest do this for fun__
(Costs are from what I found on the net )
15 MayFlash 3 in 1 PC Joy Box Sega Saturn DreamCast PS2 to USB
10 n64 adapter

from Ralphs site
20 cheapest atari / sega adapter I could find.
20 cheapest snes/ nesadapter/tg16 I could find.
20 cheapest game cube I could find.
20 cheapest jaguar I could find.
20 cheapest intelivion I could find.
20 cheapest neo geo I could find.
__
145, and that is nowhere near what I support..Plus you have a lot of junk laying around.

Ok another way to do this./.
35 my bare board with one port ( db9 ).
__ pc-fx nowhere to be found..
2 n64 extension cable.
2 dc extension cable.
4 gc extension cable.
2 db25 extension cable.
2 vga extension cable.
15 tg16 extension cable.
4 xbox extension cable.
2 saturn extension cable.
6 snes extension cable.
3 psx extension cable.
80 takes me about 8 hours to solder it up. You would be amazing how time flies.. So lets say 10 an hour..
__

So its sorta' on the money ( no pun intended ).. Again, $35 is not a lot of money for a board.. but the rest is up to you, and you wont save much. If time is not money to you, then by all means.. However I dont plan on having some one beta test a box I didnt make? there is a lot of room for error. I test all the boxes before they go out and that is an all night affair.

in other news..______________

As stated above, I have found a way to make the device show up on an xbox. So for it wont work with the 360, as m$ changed a few things to make it hard to be done. But XBOX I is working. I may make an XBOX version in stead of cramming that in to version 1.0.

I have also confirmed the Atari racer paddle works. And was able to make the touch pad work( not sure this is much of a demand for this)

Last edited:

Zach

I don't know shit about business, so my opinion comes more from the consumer standpoint, flawed though it may be.

However, I am not insinuating the price is inflated and I tried to stay away from anything about production model costs because I don't know what those costs are. My reaction was simply the price of a beta model.

I am just a black and white guy. I never expected you would drop any kind of cost on me, however not having seen the site before, I rightly had to ask. Sometimes people just forget to mention stuff or assume something is known. You are free to charge what you want for your time of course. I'm not attacking you for trying to make a buck, but I also believe in the old saying "you gotta spend money to make money" with regards to R&D costs on a product. I'm sure we've all seen people complain about the fee for Microsofts beta testing program, for instance..

It's just another end of the spectrum. But think of it this way.
It's perfectly legit to say "Hey everyone if you want an all-in-one controller, you gotta pay big dollars because that is not my aim for production models"

I think the confusion comes mostly with the way information on your site is laid out. I'm a skimmer - a lot of people are skimmers. So yes I admit I missed the "free production model" benefit, all the same.

I think the issue here is, a little information re-structuring may be in order. I may be able to help with that.. Don't know if you have a web guy, or are doing it yourself, or anything like that.. But I might be able to help there (though my technical skills are limited, I'm more of a designer than a scripter/coder which is ironic cause I can't do graphics for shit, OSG not withstanding).

I am more than happy to review a beta, or production model, or whatever else. Although I am curious, since you offer so many configurations and prices.. Are you testing them all? I know this project is very expensive as you are launching a business. Yes, I do complain, but only because I want to see you succeed.

I can see that this is a stressful time for you also.. But given the scope of the project, and your end-goal. Maybe it would be wise for you to simply start telling people they can't order one yet.. Or to start a pre-order list, and fill a few at a time if the money is helpful enough to keep things going until then. As a procrastinator I can tell you, if you keep worrying about orders, you'll never get done.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
but I also believe in the old saying "you gotta spend money to make money" with regards to R&D costs on a product.
- Valid point, but I never really planed on making money on it. Plus it has always been an open project. I only have charge for my time. It does look like its worth selling though..

I think the confusion comes mostly with the way information on your site is laid out. I'm a skimmer - a lot of people are skimmers. So yes I admit I missed the "free production model" benefit, all the same.
I will take that in to consideration.

I think the issue here is, a little information re-structuring may be in order. I may be able to help with that.. Don't know if you have a web guy, or are doing it yourself, or anything like that.. But I might be able to help there (though my technical skills are limited, I'm more of a designer than a scripter/coder which is ironic cause I can't do graphics for shit, OSG not withstanding).
I'd love the help, this page was a quick effort to eliminate the flash site. I just dont have time to make it perfect. I would hope that people would help me on some of this stuff, so if your up for it I thank you.

Are you testing them all?
- Not sure what you mean? As of now there is no production I make them one at a time, and this includes testing each controller. There are on average 130 wires that need to be connect. As you can imagine there is a high margin for error. Sometimes, no oftin I get " hey this does not work" It mainly is do to shipping and I have gotten better at it. It wont happen in the production as much. But there will be options for RMA's.

I can see that this is a stressful time for you also..
- Not quite sure I understand the evidence that leads you to think that? Only thing in relation to topic is te lack of help I get. But that is to be expected, this is not an easy thing to do.

But given the scope of the project, and your end-goal. Maybe it would be wise for you to simply start telling people they can't order one yet..
- Well the orders help with the product. I'm not planning on being a business here at all. But I do want to sell this thing as it seem like lots of people want one. If it was not for the buyers I'd be way behind. So far everyone that bought a box has a good understanding of what they get. Never had a return, but I have made errors and fixed them. This is fundamental. It may work for me, but not you.. So it helps that people buy them. And as stated, the project is done. So now its beat the hell out of them time. The device works for me 100%, its shown a few compatibility issues thx to the buyers, and I have fixed them. So this is all working out well.

Or to start a pre-order list, and fill a few at a time if the money is helpful enough to keep things going until then.
- Na I'm not the high strung.. When I get an order I tell them I will email when your up next, and go on to explain this is the beta stage. Once I finish one I go to the next and line, and the know that. By in large I find people to be extremely understanding with this. So far..

Last edited:

Zach

Well I think it is kind of confusing though. On the one hand, you don't really do this to make money as much as its just a project. But on the other hand, you have plans for production models (which I assume to mean, produced at a factory in batches, in a more polished form?), but again you say the projects pretty much done, but its the beta phase and you are just cranking them out as fast as you can make them?

I mean its all fine and good, to make it clear its just a hobby you are doing and the money is nice.. But I guess the idea I got, from my point of view was you were going to start a serious business effort or something? I mean I guess it would only make sense to me, to go through all this trouble, and have a nice shiny production model at the end of things, etc. Run it like a business, have a stock on hand, take orders and ship them out.

At least to me it seems like you having conflicting opinions on what to call it? I dunno. It can be both, but it -sounds- like a business to me.

What I meant by "do you test them?" was the different options you offer, I guess.. Do you have a standard wiring plan for each model (that you know works), etc. based on the number of ports and stuff.

I might be able to throw a nice mockup site together in any case. Though I may need some resources from you, in the way of high-quality pictures of the various models (random pics of completed stuff, glamor shots, etc).. Don't know much about tying it into an e-store if thats something you wanted to do in the future (I know my host offers shopping carts and stuff) but I can definitely get a general site put together that looks pretty nice.

Last site I built was pretty basic, for a lawyer friend tho.. that was a while ago, but he payed good!
( http://www.neuman-law.com/ )

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Well I think it is kind of confusing though. On the one hand, you don't really do this to make money as much as its just a project. But on the other hand, you have plans for production models (which I assume to mean, produced at a factory in batches, in a more polished form?), but again you say the projects pretty much done, but its the beta phase and you are just cranking them out as fast as you can make them?
- I think the main trouble in understanding this for you is to not think of it so professorially. I dont strive to fit the profile of a full in/ out business. When I started this I tried to find some one to do it for me, it was so overwhelming. I then learned I could do it and kept on. Now I have a perfect solution. It works for me I'm happy. I did it, the end. But wait there is more... People want to buy this thing, and I'm not equip for that.. Nor do I have the know how.. Its just me. More I see the pot of gold and , why not? If it does not sell, what do I care? but if it does.... SO no, Im not going to invest in this but I see away to do it without investing and I'm going to try.

I cant explain it better.

The other problem I see you have is the lack of why.. Why build an emulator.. PJ64 is the same thing is this, they had a good idea and they see money in it.. I love this stuff, its fun, it may seem like trouble to you but its not really all that bad. When I design a box for someone I learn a bit more. And according to the going rate, electrical designers are in demand. Not that my current occupation needs help, but heck why not have another trade.

Do you have a standard wiring plan for each model (that you know works)
- Yup , I guess being a skimmer you did t read that part.

I might be able to throw a nice mockup site together in any case. Though I may need some resources from you, in the way of high-quality pictures of the various models (random pics of completed stuff, glamor shots, etc).. Don't know much about tying it into an e-store if thats something you wanted to do in the future (I know my host offers shopping carts and stuff) but I can definitely get a general site put together that looks pretty nice.
- Would be open to give you what you need. Would you be open to keeping my design and helping, or woudl you rather re-do it? I received two compliments and 4 negatives on my old page. So far 5 thumbs up for the new one, and I kinda like it so far..

Last edited:

Zach

I like the basis for your design, but I think I would like to try and streamline it a bit, clean it up, that kind of thing. But overall I want to try and keep the original idea intact, just giving it a nice polished look.

Could be some color changes, font changes, that kind of thing in there, as well as some potentially better looking graphics (but keeping the same idea of the current graphics, i.e your PCB / Logo, the controller, etc )

Maybe in the future, get you a proper forum setup, if you want. Though that would depend on how you want to host the site (seems like you got a home server right now)

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Ah you dont like Drifters logo? I dont have the psd file, btw.

Yes I do have it on my own linux box, but dont want to run a forum on it. So if you have options for hosting and such let me know, but I planned on running things like a shopping cart, forums, etc... That is if I go that far. Still would be nice if its not to costly.

Zach

I am an affiliate with my web host, they have VERY good deals and are fairly reliable. They are a shared hosting service of course, so if your site ever gets to be -too- popular and places too high a load on the server, you may have to move to a dedicated or semi-dedicated plan.

However I don't foresee that being an issue. I will drop you a PM with more details but I can tell you I have been a customer for a couple years now, and I am very happy. I went through 3 or 4 other web hosts before trying them out (I originally stayed away because it looked to good to be true) and was never happy and often had issues with random downtimes.

These guys are real professionals though. They always add new servers when they need them, offer retroactive upgrades to all plans, when the plan changes (so you get free storage and bandwidth increases for the same price you always pay) etc. Very decent control panel, with several options for forum software and shopping carts (setting up a merchant site is going to cost money for the SSL certificate and such however)..

Just an example of a recent experience.. They changed their pricing plan by a few dollars and I was billed at the new rate, but wasn't aware of the increase (I couldn't find any saved e-mails at the time, but it truly was my fault as I did get a notice) however they went so far as to issue a $2.99 refund on my renewal even though I hadn't asked for it, and was simply providing feedback. I now pay the new rate on future renewals, but it was a nice gesture on their part and reminded me why I liked them so much. I have almost never had to open a support ticket, and mostly it was for billing issues on my end.

Anyway I will drop you a PM. As far as the logo goes, I like it mostly except for the colors. I think you might like what I have in mind... will take me a while to work on it though.

By the way, the link in your sig, goes to that Donkey-Kong preloader, as opposed to the direct link you posted a short while back.. It's really kind of shoddy imho, is there any reason you use it, or is it some kind of redirect ?

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
By the way, the link in your sig, goes to that Donkey-Kong preloader, as opposed to the direct link you posted a short while back.. It's really kind of shoddy imho, is there any reason you use it, or is it some kind of redirect ?
- Works for me? if there is a - ( i.e bliss-box ) its correct. old site is blissbox. The old site had not been updated and was a shoddy attempt to make a site. So in that sense your correct. Not sure why you get the old site?

Thx for the info.. Will check PM in a bit.

Zach

Your banner has a separate hyperlink than the text link below it. It's going to the old site

In fact, both the image and the hyperlink for the banner go to the old URL.. I fixed the URL as the logo doesn't exist on the new site.. But I'll soon get you a nice shiny new one ;)

Last edited:

Zach

Yeah, the image is linked from the old URL, doesn't seem exist on your new site. But also the hyperlink attached to the image was to the old URL - which I corrected. :thumb_up:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Two major announcements.

1) I added an upgrade option. Now you can upgrade the firmware via usb and a bat file. So there is no more needing of hardware to do it. Note:currently to gain room for the upgrade option the coleco and intellivision code is removed. I may get it down sized and squeeze it in yet. So as of now its an option.

2) the Dream cast bug has been caught. No more pressing of random buttons here and there.

Last edited: