Sega CD and Sega Saturn

Hrothgar

I have experience with a large range of emulation. Atari 2600, Nes, Snes, N64, CPS-1/2, Gameboy, gameboy advance, sega gamegear, sega genesis, neo geo, sega 32x, and atari jaguar.

With that said, I am clueless to Sega CD and Sega Saturn. I emphasize clueless. I would really appreciate if anyone with some expertise help me with emulating these two systems. I have an emulator for both (Satourne and gens32 surreal). I have a rom downloaded for both. Both came in several parts.

Anyways, If anyone could help me I'd appreciate it.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Fusion is a better bet for Sega CD.

In terms of the Saturn, by far the best and most compatible Saturn emulator is SSF if you have a supported CPU (must have SSE support).

The only real difference between these and other emu's is you need to mount the CD image on a virtual drive.

use something like Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120%, and mount the disk image. Then point the emulator to the virtual drive when selecting what game to run and away you go.

spotanjo3

Gens32 is a better bet for sega cd.

SSF is awesome and you do not need virtual drive to run. You can use cdr on your cd drive and run SSF like a real sega saturn. No need to use Daemon tools or Alcohol 120%. Just burnt it on your cdr and insert your cdr to cd drive and open ssf and tell where your cd drive is and you are ready. I used ssf for few years and no problem for me. :D

Hrothgar

Well, to be honest I'm having trouble figuring out how to burn the image to CD. (Clueless)

I downloaded the rom in Four Parts, and the are all in .rar . I know how to open those files, but I open them and there's two more rars, and to make a long stor short, I dunno if I should just leave teh rars alone, or unwrap the two rars in each part and leave them alone,

Basically I want a "Sega Saturn emulation for dummies" Sorry for the lack of knowledge with any of this stuff.

Hrothgar

I can open Rar files. I got it figured out now though. Alcohol 120% helped a lot. I'm gonna take Forte's advice on keeping it on disc though, just to same some room on my hard drive. Thanks for all the help

Last edited:

flamingo24

Sui Generis Avis
kega fusion is better for sega cd emulation, only if you prefer accuracy. its the only emulator that supports sega cd 32x games and for that matter is the only one to achieve 100% 32x compatibility with bios emulation.

SSF, is the most accurate saturn emulator; the only problem is unless you have a duel core cpu (Althon X2, Core 2 Duo) you will not get full speed emulation. I use SSF.

Everybody forgot a big thing. Sega CD bios.

Basically, you can get these by random searches, but you need at least one of the bios file(depends on launguage).

For example, I live in US, so I need a US bios file to get it to work.

Of course, that doesn't mean I actually emulate Sega CD, I just happen to have a Sega CD game made for the computer. :happy:

spotanjo3

No, i didn't forgot Sega CD bios but I thought some of those people knew and I guess I am wrong. :)

flamingo24

Sui Generis Avis
It isn’t just one bios; there are three distinct bios files, and all are required if you are planning on playing games from other regions (USA, Europe, Japan). With Saturn emulation on SSF, the bios is not necessary but recommend.

Last edited:
That depends at what launguage of the game you want to run. But like you said, it's just better to get all 3.

flamingo24

Sui Generis Avis
yes, the bios emulation is only partial; also using a bios dump/file can improve compatibility. I was surprised bios emulation was even being attempted, usually cd based console emulators ignore emulating the bios routines in favor of the actual bios dump, since they also included functions unrelated to gaming such as audio cd functions and CD+G.