Metal Slug running slow with Mame?

WDeranged

Is it me or does metal slug slow down more than it used to? i've been out of the mame loop for a couple of years but i dont remember getting all these slowdowns.

Something to do with the new gfx engine?

WD

cibomatto2002

Windows 10
The game is running correctly now. In the Arcades it was also slow.

Epsi

Zoo Keeper
I play all my Neo-Geo games like Metal Slug on Kawaks, it's alot less resource hungry than the last few releases of MAME.

give it a try, and compare.

WDeranged

I think cibomatto2002 might be right, i had this feeling that maybe the original neo geo slowed down.

Pretty sure its not my pc at least, Intel Q6600 @ 3.6ghz and 4gb of ram.

I've been trying other emulators and kawaks does run it without as much slowdown but i get the feeling this is tweaked to run faster than the original.

Peace :)

WD

Zach

A while ago MAME also started cleaning up it's code base to remove "hacks" or "cheats" that helped certain games to run at all, or to run better. The reasoning for this is MAME has always been about preservation and purity. It would be inaccurate to emulate the game as it did not act on its original hardware.

Outside of that, most performance issues with games come down to different PC's and configs; not much can be done in that case.

spotanjo3

I don't have a problem. I like metal slug series a lot and it's running great speed on my PC. I am using Mame and Mame32. I don't have any slow down at all. It's fine to me. :)

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Worth noting for end users its best to stick with the end releases not the (u) releases as these are WIP builds between versions and are more likely to contain unresolved bugs and broken code/drivers etc.

New for today is 0.120.

Since mame went through a major overhaul around v0.107 its been a much hungrier beast. If working games are running abnormally slowly you can adjust various video settings in mame dependent on your hardware that can improve performance.
If you open the 'docs' folder inside the mame folder there is a readme there called 'newvideo.txt' that details the various video functions and how to adjust and optimise them based on your hardware or requirements.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: