2.4GHz Core 2

cibomatto2002

Windows 10
I'M wanting to get a 2.4 Ghz dual core 2 chip in my next PC. What I need to know is that really a 4.8GHz. Also is it a lot faster than a 1 core 2.4GHz
I need help with this.

Jale

I'm not totally sure about this, but by having 2.4 dual core doesn't really mean you have 4.8 GHz, but you can have 2 processes running at 2.4 GHz at the same time (ie, encoding audio and video at the same time and super fast). If both OS and app are the x64 type, they can use both cores efficiently.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Pretty much what butters said. The chips don't run any faster, but having a dual core effectively doubles the amount of instructions it can handle at any one time.
The most significant improvement is when you need the processor to multi-task and run several different applications at the same time.

Since the prices are pretty good at the moment its worth your while considering a Quad core rather than Dual core chip.

Non modified chips have pretty much reached as far as they can be pushed @ 4Ghz due to thermal issues, which is why manufacturers are now producing chips with multiple cores, rather than simply making them faster.

Zach

It's not really an issue of heat, but economics. It's not cost effective to produce higher speed chips (I'm sure the batch yield has something to do with it too) because they would suck so much juice it just isn't worth it. Heat is probably not the single limiting factor here..

Like others have said, you just get 2 cores on one wafer ("chip") with twice the potential power vs a standard 1 core CPU. While you won't see an absolute doubling of power, you will see significant performance increases over 1 core CPUs of the past, especially when a program/OS in combination are made to take advantage of them..

I don't know the price difference between dual and quad core CPU's, but I see no real justification for quad (4) cores in a consumer PC right now.. There may be a HANDFUL of apps that truly benefit from it, but unless you plan to run as many instances of SETI / FOLD / whatever @ home programs, there is no legitimate need to spend the money on more than a dual core. Unless something has changed recently that I'm not aware of..

So laymans recap..

2.4 core + 2.4 core does not = 4.8ghz.
Any dual core CPU will outperform an older single core model (with rare exceptions).

I am using an Intel Core 2 Duo right now, myself. It's a Conroe core which means mucho overclocking potential.. But I'm guessing you don't mess with that stuff. I'm pretty happy with my chips performance, it came 2.1ghz stock but I'm running it at 2.6 with no compaints. My video card is probably the limiting factor in my system at the moment.

You should be pretty happy with the performance boost in general. Make sure you buy a CPU with 4MB of L2 and not an older 2MB model, also.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115029

Great chip right there. Should be noted a 2.4ghz Quad core is $100 more expensive... So like I said, not really worth it imho. Hoping to push mine to 3.5ghz or as close to 4ghz as possible once I get a new water block ordered

Last edited: