Ubuntu

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
I dont know anything outside of widows.So I saw something about Ubuntu, and i was thinking about trying it out. Ive loked everywhere and i cant find a yes or no answer on whether i can play pc games with like for instance RE4, HalfLife games like that.Im guessing not. Also im downloading the setup ISO and it says its a linux based OS and i need to know if i need to download linux seperatly or if its in the setup.

And I have in my Laptop my main HardDrive which is 70gigs abd I have an 8gig Harddirv that has useless stuff onit so i deleted it, so i was wondering if i can install Ubuntu on the 8gig and still have XP on my main harddrive.
ThankYou for any help

edit: or just have both on my main HDD

Last edited:

Jale

There's an app called WINE that allows you to run Windows applications on Linux. Just like emulators, it's not 100% accurate.

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
There's an app called WINE that allows you to run Windows applications on Linux. Just like emulators, it's not 100% accurate.

Thanks ill try that. But i can have 2 OSs on my HDD right?

At startup i can pick which one?

Jale

I'm not really sure, but you must make a partition. I'm not into partition, so I don't know.

Alucard_The_Dex

Angery Mame User
BADA BOOM!
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot?action=show&redirect=WindowsDualBootHowTo

Ubuntu is ok i guess. Its kinda limmited but is easily picked up compared to most other distros so alota people are first exposed to it. All your really gonna have to learn in the little picture is the meaning of the linux termonaligy to the terms windows uses Such as Start menu is appilaction menu in most distros. I use to have it installed but now i float around from Distro to distro So w.e floats your boat but just remember man there are 100s of nice distros after you get bored of ubuntu ^_^

Alucard_The_Dex

Angery Mame User

Very Very few games Run on Linux with Wine due to lack of proper Directx. Most always the only games that run on linux support Open GL Graphics. Also check out somthing i Think is called Cedega? i dont think its free tho.

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
This says Vista i can doit with XP right?

I downloaded the ISO and burned onto a cd, but i cant get it to boot when i restart my computer

Alucard_The_Dex

Angery Mame User
Read the bottem of the webpage.

I havent used ubuntu in almost a year but if they still do the install CD and Live CD's seperate make sure you download the Live CD first to Boot off just the CD without install just to play around befor making hard drive changes.

http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/ubuntu-releases/7.04/

I Just read the text and it looks like they combined the two into one CD. Make sure you have the CD for your computer type if you have a P4 get the 86x.

Last edited:

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
you can install Ubuntu on the same hard drive, but you need to install them both on separate partitions. I've your Xp installation takes up all your hard drive then you can use a program such as PartitionMagic to repartition your hard drive.

I've installed Ubuntu alongside XP on the same hard drive a few times and and found it easy to use. I recommend version 7.04 as it adds WPA sort for wireless networks.

You should also know that Ubuntu is a liveCD with the option to install it to your hard drive.

Just burn the disc to a CD, reboot your computer with the CD in the CD drive and make sure your computer is set to boot from the CD drive. Ubuntu will then load as a liveCD. You get the same features on a Ubuntu liveCD as you do with it installed to hard drive, just that programs will be a little slower to load because CD drives are slower than hard drives.

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
Im running Ubuntu right now from the CD and i like it.

My laptop came with an 8gig partition can i just format the part and install ubuntu on it?

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
Im running Ubuntu right now from the CD and i like it.

My laptop came with an 8gig partition can i just format the part and install ubuntu on it?

You can do that, but you should know that Ubuntu doesnt use the same file system as windows. Ubuntu should be installed on a ext3 file system, the installation wizard will help you with that.

This isn't neccessry but you should created two partitions. One to install Ubuntu on and one which will be a swap partition. The swap partition should be twice the size of the amount of RAM that is installed on your computer.

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
You can do that, but you should know that Ubuntu doesnt use the same file system as windows. Ubuntu should be installed on a ext3 file system, the installation wizard will help you with that.

This isn't neccessry but you should created two partitions. One to install Ubuntu on and one which will be a swap partition. The swap partition should be twice the size of the amount of RAM that is installed on your computer.

Basically have three partitons
So i only have 512ram i think. so the swap should have atleast a gig.

Last edited:

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
I didnt create the partition it was already on my computer.

But to make the swap partition i dont need to format my hardrive do i.

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
I hADto reformat my HDD losing everything.Altho its not really bad cause i needed to do it anyways.All i really lost was some games I dont play.So im kinda happy it did what i needed to do, but i just didnt want to.

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
Well im back to XP.:msn_cry::msn_cry::msn_cry::msn_cry::msn_cry::msn_cry::msn_cry::msn_cry::msn_cry::msn_cry::msn_cry: