DVD+RW

Kelvin742

Is this type of disk the best to record movies and t.v. series from your computer onto it? What's the difference between DVD+RW and DVD-RW? Also, when it says 4.7GB/120 minutes, can I put 2 movies combined to 1.5GB but over 3 hours onto this disk?

Last edited:

Jale

DVD+RW is a non-standard disk. According to my Memorex's CD case, it's great for:

• Time shifting with a home DVD recorder.
  • Video playback on PC.
  • Photo storage combined with a slide show.
  • Data backup.
  • Supplement for a hard drive.
  • Software authoring.
  • Video authoring and editing.
It's also good for:

• Video playback using home DVD player.
  • Create backup copy of DVDs.
  • Photo storage.
  • Archiving video, music and data.
  • Multimedia presentation.
In other words, it's good for anything, but will work great for things on the first list.

Jale

What's the difference between DVD+RW and DVD-RW?
DVD-RW is, let's say, less compatible than DVD+RW. DVD-RW is a DVD Forum standard disc while DVD+RW is not.

=Kelvin742]Also, when it says 4.7GB/120 minutes, can I put 2 movies combined to 1.5GB but over 3 hours onto this disk?
A formatted DVD can hold up to 4.3 GB, not 4.7 GB. You ask if you can put two movies into a single DVD. That depends. If you're going to play it on a DVD player, you can do two things:

• Recompress the movie into the appropiate MPEG2 format. It can lead to poor quality.
  • Half resolution. I forgot how it's called, but I know it's around 352x240. The quality may not be poor, but the sharpness is greatly reduced.
If you're going to play it on your PC, burn the DVD as Data DVD and play it on your PC, like you normally do on your hard disc, but since it's not in the right format (MPEG2), the DVD won't be playable on any DVD player, unless your movie is in DivX format and the player supports DivX as well.

Last edited:

Jale

I don't know any free burning program, there's a famous commercial one called Nero. There are three ways to get this app:

The good way (buying or trial version).
The bad way (downloading from pirate sites).

Kelvin742

K, I got the trial version. Can I still have good quality if I put in three 20 minute-shows that don't exceed 4.4 GB? Also, how do I burn a movie that has two languages in it and I only want one of them into the DVD+RW, or can I change the language on my DVD Player?

Last edited:

Jale

That depends on the movie format. If the movies are in DVD format, you can use DVD Shrink (it's free) to select only the languages you want. If they're in another format, I don't really know.

Kelvin742

I've burned 3 DVDS successfully, but now when I get to the burning process a window pops up saying some abnormal program termintation and the window closes and I can't burn. What is this?

cibomatto2002

Windows 10
When you buy DVD movies from the store are they DVD + or DVD -

Kelvin742

I fixed the problem. One of my movie files stopped playing. Anyway, does every burning software take the exact time to burn a DVD+RW? I'm using Super DVD Creator and it takes me more than 1 hr for the file to burn into the CD, because I have to make the rmvb file to vob, then it fixes the audio, then it makes some DVD folder, and then it burns.

RockY

L H D T P M
That's kind of normal, I usually take like 40 minutes to convert the movies to DVD format and actually burn then into the disk.

Zach

Yep... and transcoding is a bitch.. and really CRAP when these suite programs do it all for you..

Nothing like TMPGenc and Vdub at your side.. especially w/an Intel CPU

Jale

Yep... and transcoding is a bitch.. and really CRAP when these suite programs do it all for you..

Nothing like TMPGenc and Vdub at your side.. especially w/an Intel CPU
Can't agree more. I hate the results when those programs do it all for you. It's like comparing the encoding methods of Windows Movie Maker and Windows Media Encoder.