Anyone Else Have trouble using your left hand?

Alucard_The_Dex

Angery Mame User
I play FPS alot and am just getting into Aracade games on mame. I set it up so asdf are the first four buttons and zxcvb and so on are the rest but while playing fighter games that use 8 keys i find my fingers tying themselfs into a knot. I end up using just 3 keys and losing and while using 8 im just a clusterF**k on crack trying to hit the right key ending up in to slow of reactions and loosing hardcore.

Does anyone else have this problem? Think Buying a Arcade style joystick with buttons would help me>?

Last edited:

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Remember most arcade games feature a joystick on the left and buttons on the right, so any motor 'memory' you possess from playing arcades is broken if you switch to using the buttons with your left hand. Try setting your movement keys on the left of the keyboard and assign the fire buttons to the numeric pad.

Also whichever way you do it, arcade games don't translate very well to a keyboard and the play experience will always feel stunted. Use a gamepad or even better an arcade style control panel.

Last edited:

Epsi

Zoo Keeper
Haha... reminds me of when I started playing arcade games on keyboard, very hard to get used to. Anyway I just use numpad for my fighting, works great for me.

Alucard_The_Dex

Angery Mame User
What i dont get on most Fighting games the up key makes you jump...does that mean id have to jump by pushing a joystick up? I havent honestly played many fighters in the arcades sooo im not use to fighters at all.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Because the games exist in a 2 dimensional plane 'up' is the natural function for jump (what else would it do?).

Playing 1v1 fighters on a keyboard is an exercise in futility though. Get yourself a gamepad or arcade stick.

Epsi

Zoo Keeper
Because the games exist in a 2 dimensional plane 'up' is the natural function for jump (what else would it do?).

Well in 3D fighters like tekken and such up still makes you jump, and down makes you crouch... instead of "going" in that direction.

Last edited:

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
But they don't really play in 3 dimensions with the vast majority of the fighting still taking place in a 2 dimensional plane. The focus remains side on with the play area scrolling around the fighters.

montpics

I play FPS alot and am just getting into Aracade games on mame. I set it up so asdf are the first four buttons and zxcvb and so on are the rest but while playing fighter games that use 8 keys i find my fingers tying themselfs into a knot. I end up using just 3 keys and losing and while using 8 im just a clusterF**k on crack trying to hit the right key ending up in to slow of reactions and loosing hardcore.....
That's pretty unusual as mostly I use two hands on the same keyboard. (not one)

Left hand on 'AWSD' keys while 'UIOJKL' keys for the other one. :)

ubr

NPC GM Pilot
Left hand for button : zxasqw
Right hand for movement : arrow key.

It's been that since the beginning of my play with emulator. Therefore now it's easier for me to execute a supermoves like 2xhcf, qcf and FDDf using my right hand on arrow key than my left hand on joystick keypad. The only trouble is 360 degree movement like Zangief moves. :(

Last edited: