Can't play games in MAME - help!

videofreak69

I downloaded MAME32 0.117 and about 12 roms to play. I followed all of the instructions (placing the roms in the roms folder, etc), but when I want to run a game I get these error messages "Device \\.\Display1 currently in an unsupported mode" then "Unable to initialize Direct3D". I'm running Windows XP Pro with an Intel Celeron 1.0 G cpu and 512MB of RAM. I did install DirectX 9.0 and my 5 year old graphics card (from Intel) has the latest driver. I'm guessing its my graphics card, but the games I want to play are all at least 15 years old. Do I have to get a new card or should I look for an earlier version of MAME? All of the other emulators for NES, SNES, and Sega run perfectly. Any help is appreciated!

spotanjo3

At Display Properties at DESKTOP of your computer:

You need to change 16bit to 32bit in color quality and try again.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
I downloaded MAME32 0.117 and about 12 roms to play. I followed all of the instructions (placing the roms in the roms folder, etc), but when I want to run a game I get these error messages "Device \\.\Display1 currently in an unsupported mode" then "Unable to initialize Direct3D". I'm running Windows XP Pro with an Intel Celeron 1.0 G cpu and 512MB of RAM. I did install DirectX 9.0 and my 5 year old graphics card (from Intel) has the latest driver. I'm guessing its my graphics card, but the games I want to play are all at least 15 years old. Do I have to get a new card or should I look for an earlier version of MAME? All of the other emulators for NES, SNES, and Sega run perfectly. Any help is appreciated!

The age of the emulated games is irrelevant in terms of your system specs. If the emulator needs a DX9 compatible card to run then you need a DX9 compatible card.

More recent versions of mame are very system hungry and won't run very well at all on your PC. Try using a version of Mame before 0.106. You can get older versions of Mame32 from Here. Hope that helps.