Microsoft confirms 'Windows 7' due in 3 years

cibomatto2002

Windows 10
At an internal meeting for its sales force this week, Microsoft confirmed the code name and approximate timing for Windows Vista's successor. The details, such as they are, aren't a huge surprise, but given the dearth of information from Microsoft on its next PC operating system, any confirmation seems notable.

According to a series of PowerPoint slides presented at the company's internal "MGX" global sales meeting this week, the new version is, as expected, known by the internal name "Windows 7," and it's due out in approximately three years.

But no big features were revealed, and overall, the slides don't reveal much that most people tracking Windows wouldn't have guessed. For example, one slide says Windows 7 will be "A full OS release," available for businesses and consumers, in both 32- and 64-bit versions. Another slide says the "development philosophy" for future Windows versions includes establishing a "more predictable release schedule," and expanding the "Windows product family" to "deliver value beyond the OS including subscription offerings."

Another slide carries the intriguing title, "Internal Planning Process Detail," but contains mostly generic statements, such as, "Identify and articulate key dev pillars and potential scenarios internally." Elsewhere in the deck, another slide references Windows Vista Service Pack 1 but doesn't give any timing beyond saying it's "next" on the roadmap.

read more here

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/118404.asp

sounds like vista is dying all ready.

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
Maybe they'll include hypervisors in Windows 7

Quote by Ben Fathi (Corporate Vice President of Development said:
We're going to look at a fundamental piece of enabling technology. Maybe it's hypervisors. I don't know what it is" [...] "Maybe it's a new user interface paradigm for consumers.

Ryanfaescotland

"A full OS release"

Unlikely going by the amount of bugs etc the rest of their Windows verisons have had it'll more likely be a 90% OS 10% Blue Screen Flasher

Honestly Bill if your reading this take a little more time before releasing it, do some more work on Vista, develope Windows 7 to the point where there are very few problems then release it. Don't just throw out crap in 3 years please. Cheers Bill your a mate.

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
"A full OS release"

Unlikely going by the amount of bugs etc the rest of their Windows verisons have had it'll more likely be a 90% OS 10% Blue Screen Flasher

Honestly Bill if your reading this take a little more time before releasing it, do some more work on Vista, develope Windows 7 to the point where there are very few problems then release it. Don't just throw out crap in 3 years please. Cheers Bill your a mate.

With a 93% market share, Windows cant be that bad, else we wouldnt buy it.

Vista is crap? - No its not. Its new. There isnt many drivers out there for alot of the hardware, therefore some people think its rubbish because it doesnt work with there machine. Give it time, its just new thats all.

Windows security is like a sieve? - Maybe, but seeing as 93% of all computers run a windows OS it makes sense for virus writers and hackers to attack Windows compared to Linux which has a market share of less than 1%. Virus writers aren't stupid.

BSOD? - Common on the Win9x because they were built around DOS which wasnt a very stable OS. Today we have Win2k, XP Vista... all built on NT, which is alot more stable. BSOD can still happen on these OS's but there causes are usually down to hardware failure, poorly writen drivers, hardware incompatibility.

Zach

Umm dude.. Windows 9x was not built "on DOS" it was built AROUND it.. It was a GUI Wrapper.. just like DOSSHELL.EXE only prettier.

DOS was a ROCK SOLID OS.. It took some real fucking up to actually crash DOS.. Have you ever even seen a DOS crash screen?

I saw more parity errors (EDO RAM... lolz) than DOS crashes and parity errors were rare as hell

Last edited:

Ryanfaescotland

With a 93% market share, Windows cant be that bad, else we wouldnt buy it.

I didn't, I bought a laptop it came with it since they have a 93% market share ;)

Vista is crap? - No its not. Its new. There isnt many drivers out there for alot of the hardware, therefore some people think its rubbish because it doesnt work with there machine. Give it time, its just new thats all.

Ain't saying Vista is crap, what I'm saying is just what your saying, spend more time developing the software you have just released instead of trying to produce a new version.

Windows security is like a sieve? - Maybe, but seeing as 93% of all computers run a windows OS it makes sense for virus writers and hackers to attack Windows compared to Linux which has a market share of less than 1%. Virus writers aren't stupid.

93% market share doesn't = 93% of the world computers using windows other than that yeah I totally agree people seem to forget that point.

BSOD? - Common on the Win9x because they were built around DOS which wasnt a very stable OS. Today we have Win2k, XP Vista... all built on NT, which is alot more stable. BSOD can still happen on these OS's but there causes are usually down to hardware failure, poorly writen drivers, hardware incompatibility.

I ain't actually had many BSOD on Vista I was just sterotyping and that is wrong. :msn_shy:

Last edited:

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
Umm dude.. Windows 9x was not built "on DOS" it was built AROUND it.. It was a GUI Wrapper.. just like DOSSHELL.EXE only prettier.

DOS was a ROCK SOLID OS.. It took some real fucking up to actually crash DOS.. Have you ever even seen a DOS crash screen?

I saw more parity errors (EDO RAM... lolz) than DOS crashes and parity errors were rare as hell

My mistake, I worded myself wrong :eek:. Windows 95/98 is built around DOS, and was an excellant OS (I wouldnt know personally as DOS was before me :p ).

But wasnt Windows 95/98 unstable because it was built around DOS?

Zach

The reasons for this was because they were running a 32-bit OS ontop of a 16-bit infrastructure. The instabilities were because of the technological limits Microsoft foolishly imposed on themselves for one reason or another.

ouch123

That Guy Nobody Knows...
The codename used to be "Blackcomb" and then "Vienna". That sounded familiar.

Windows 98 was one of the most stable Windows ever.
Stable, true, but I hated the ridiculous illegal operations that occurred. (i.e, use magic eraser in MS PAINT and you get "D'oh! Illegal operation! Will now close!)) Bah.

Jale

Well, I'm starting to get blue screens of death already :angry:

Gotta format this night.

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
Of course Windows is more practicable than Linux,but that's come because 93% of us don't like ,command line based OS-es ,but Linux has the Mandrake system which i remember with nostalgy and you can have all programs you want for free.
I never have seen until these days, a relatively new version of Mandrake Linux ,crashing,and i 've seen a lot of Windows systems doing that.

Unfortunately i have not the required skills to use Linux as a day to day system so i have hanged up in Windows,but when i will have more free time ,i will learn Linux and i will migrate to it. It's worth it in Mandrake for me , cause i tried Red Hat and Debian ,but they were to difficult for me.

CONSIDER ,YOU DOWNLOAD ALL YOUR PROGRAMS FOR FREE.
A PROGRAM FREE FOR EVERY OF YOUR NEEDS.
THAT'S IMPORTANT.

But i know many don't agree with me :)

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
leon_belmont, if you get the change and have not try umbuntu, or kumbuntu. It is debian but its very away from the debian hardships. Very easy install and a huge community. Way better the mandrake IMO.

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
What is this Ubuntu ?
I heard about it at an italian forum and they were saying was great too.

Since it's free can you tell me the direct link of it where to download.
I intend trying all of Linux versions.

Many thanks in advance.

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
What is this Ubuntu ?
I heard about it at an italian forum and they were saying was great too.

Since it's free can you tell me the direct link of it where to download.
I intend trying all of Linux versions.

Many thanks in advance.

Ubuntu is an awesome Linux distro. You can download it from here.

Burn it to CD and boot it up. Its a livecd so you can try it out without having to install it.

Video of compiz fusion (Included with version 7.10)