New computer

insanemaniak

This User Is Insane
Hmm, i'm going to buy a new desktop computer, maybe custom built, i wondered if i buy one from a shop, what would i be looking for? Like a decent build? upto around a grand to spend

Zach

If you buy one from a shop, even a retail store - and get a GOOD one (especially thru retail) expect to pay a LOT more than $1,000.

A very decent computer can be built for around $1,000..

Tell me what you want to do with your PC, and what you do in general.. What kind of applications do you run? What kind of games do you play? Do you want them to look the absolute best possible ? Or will you settle for medium settings (esp. in newer releases) ?

How much storage (hard drive) do you want? How much memory (RAM) ? What kind of processor - Intel or AMD? I'd go with Intel if you plan to overclock, otherwise you might go with AMD as they are "on par or better" per clock speed w/Intel in some speed ranges.

I may be able to throw together some parts at newegg.com and give you a list.

insanemaniak

This User Is Insane
I'm not a pro on this so i probs will miss alot out (sorry for the confusion i ment 1000 pounds, which is like 2051 dollars.)

I want to play on stuff like Sims 2 and Battle for Middle-Earth II: The Rise of the Witch-King, basically i just wanna be able to play some of the newer games without it lagging and have ok graphics, nothing special like.

Intel Core 2 (Duo or Quad? Quad's better right?) Processor;
256 Megabyte Ram;
500 Gigabyte Hard Drive.

Last edited:

Epsi

Zoo Keeper
I love building up pcs! I have tons of advice and experience! Trust me, you want a GeForce 8, try and get a GeForce 8600GT or better. And get atleast 2 gigs of DDR 2 RAM. As for harddrive you cant go wrong with a 400 gig Seagate. Cpu can go either way really both AMD and Intel has its finer points, but Intel is just all around better. But most important is the 3D card, trust me you want something with support for DirectX 10

Jale

Get a computer with Core 2 Duo, 512 MB of system RAM and a decent video card (GeForce 6600 or beter).

Zach

Like other have said.. You'll want a computer with DirectX 10 support, so whatever card you buy you'll want to make sure on that. I always reccomend Nvidia (Geforce) cards as they as usually well assembled by a reputable company. Personally I stay away from PNY.. Go Asus, BFG, MSI, etc..

Since your from the UK (I guess? pounds and all) you'll have to find a place over there that sells things at good prices..

The MSI NX8600GT won an award from HardOCP - and that says a lot about the product. It's $114 USD at newegg. Which is pretty cheap.. It could be a steal. However it is a 128 bit card.. We live in the age of 256-bit cards now. You could find a better model probably

With Intel, go Core 2 Duo.. You don't need quads, there is NO realistic use for them for gaming and casual activities. Unless you like to run shitloads of SETI processing or something.

You also want at LEAST 2GB of RAM. Trust me on this.

For sound, I would get a Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Gamer card minimum.. Don't get any model below this as they do not have some of the features the upper end has. Logitech is the only name you will ever need to know when you shop for PC speakers.. Their systems are excellent. They have a great 5.1 System (front, rear, sub) that is usually decently priced in online stores.

Hard drives are cheap.. Find a good price on a 500GB Seagate. I got mine for $99 USD at newegg

Flat Panel Monitors are the way to go.. I prefer traditional versus widescreen but either is up to your preference.. I have a Samsung Syncmaster 931B model. It is great and I love it.. although I did pay retail at best buy incase I ended up with dead pixels and needed to exchange it. I got it last year for my birthday and have had no issues except for recently. I had a stuck pixel (NOT DEAD), that was stuck on the color red.. A soft cloth with warm water did the trick with a gentle massage.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/products/monitor/lcd_digital/ls19mebsbdxaa.asp

I hope this info helps you out.

Last edited:

Epsi

Zoo Keeper
Everything Zach said is pretty dead on... except for the MSI 3D card, its shit, theres no other way to put it. Go with Asus or Gigabyte, their a bit more expensive but worth every... pound. Trust me on this, ive built up more than 10 pcs, everybody with a Leadtech, XFX, MSI and Albatron had problems with their 3D cards. As for what GeForce, go with the 8600GT or above. Again trust me, Ive seen a 8500 in action... its crap.

Zach

Everything looks good except for the PNY Graphics, and you picked the WRONG RAM.. You picked DDR.. You need DDR-II

Also... you could probably save some cash by not getting fatality edition X-Fi, unless the price difference is so close it doesn't matter. Get at least an X-Fi Gamer edition instead.. I have it and it is great.. Unless you want/need those front ports and stuff??

I can't comment on the Intel Chipset (aside from brand, even chipset can make or break a board). But the board looks solid to me..

So, change the graphics to a better brand that we've reccomended, buy the correct DDR-II RAM, and maybe save yourself some cash by getting a less expensive X-Fi..

You will NOT be dissapointed with your speakers.. After you have tried them out for a while, find the bassiest song you can and turn the Subwoofer volume all the way up - you will question how this amount of sound (and quality at the price) is possible

I have never heard of that brand of Monitor... I can't endorse what I don't know.. especially at that kind of price. I mean that's re-fucking-dick-u-less, even after the conversion to US$$$

I paid $250 USD or less for mine.

Do you have the proper case to put this in?? and also I forgot to mention, you are gonna want to buy a good power supply.. Some people think Antec is shit these days, but I have used them for years without a problem.. You're gonna want at least 450W or better... DO NOT BUY A CHEAP POWER SUPPLY. You will pay for it down the road.. It will either die, or your PC will mysteriously fuck up in some way... (missing files, unexplainable crashes/reboots, etc) There are some good PSU brands out there besides Antec, I just can't think of any right now... I like their cases also.

Last edited:

insanemaniak

This User Is Insane
Well i class it as a monitor but it's a Tv as it says, i'm getting it for christmas and it has a pc input so i thought i'd make use of it instead of buying a monitor?

And i'll check now, thanks, XD i'm such a cluts

Edit: Ram
Sound Card

Right i think i got them this time

Last edited:

Zach

Both are good.. Thoughget unregistered if you can ( no ECC). Error Correction Controlled is usually used in servers, as it can help keep things running properly, but is a bit slower than normal ram..

May not see the difference but who knows?

Now you just need to hunt down a good Case, PSU, that's about it?

Be prepared to buy a real monitor just incase.. Hopefully the PC input is either Component VIdeo, or HDMI. Those are the best for PC's connecting to a TV.

insanemaniak

This User Is Insane
Tower Case This is good right?

Edit: Also what Fan should i get? I shouldn't just stick with the one that comes with the tower should i?

Last edited:

Zach

Looks like a good case.. Comes with an excellent sized PSU.. 650W should last you a long time..

As for the fans.. It looks like it has one in the back there, and that it is speed controlled.. At least that's what I think... the text seems to indicate the case comes with a speed controller for all fans, but it doesn't look that way in the pictures I've seen... Doesn't seem that there is one in the front, however.

You want to try to maintain good airflow through the case in ONE direction.. I suggest putting that fan in the bottom front mount point, in front of the drive cages..

The fan on the PSU will help exhaust air out the rear of the case, while the fan in the front draws in cool air, and also as a bonus will cool any drives sitting in the lower cage.

Last edited:

Zach

I don't honestly know.. Shopping for fans has it's own sub culture.. Some people prefer loud jet engine fans and don't mind the noise for a few degrees.. Other people want an inbetween, other people like me prefer silence with good performance..

It's all about preference.. Anything that comes with some kind of speed controller is OK I suppose.. I haven't purchased fans in years tbh.. I never needed them since I got into water cooling, except for very low speed case fans, and one adjustable fan for my radiator itself..

A lot of people like Samsung, Delta (LOUD), Enermax adjustable..

Last edited: