360 Emulator?

scottprindel

The Pringle man
You wouldn't really need a powerful pc to have a xbox 360 emulator all a xbox 360 is is a computer designed to play only video games, dvds, and cds. if you know how to reprogram on you can remake it into a pc I DO NOT RECOMEND DOING THIS. This is time consumable and if you mess up you will have only a pile
of junk. But if you do this you can make a powerful pc butt you will still have to purchase some parts to make it work. You can also keep the program that allows
it to play 360 games therefore it has a 360 emulator. But i repeat I do not recommend doing this.

blueshogun96

The Old Kid
You wouldn't really need a powerful pc to have a xbox 360 emulator all a xbox 360 is is a computer designed to play only video games, dvds, and cds. if you know how to reprogram on you can remake it into a pc I DO NOT RECOMEND DOING THIS. This is time consumable and if you mess up you will have only a pile
of junk. But if you do this you can make a powerful pc butt you will still have to purchase some parts to make it work. You can also keep the program that allows
it to play 360 games therefore it has a 360 emulator. But i repeat I do not recommend doing this.

An Xbox360 and a PC are totally different things. The only similarities I can see between the two are the USB 2.0 capabilities and the VGA compatibility. PCs use x86 processors by Intel or AMD, but the 360 uses a triple core PPC by IBM. So unless you find some way to convert PPC code into x86 code running on 3 different threads, it's not going to happen and you WILL need a powerful PC to emulate it. 360 also has 3 Vector Units per core (afaik) and if I recall correctly, that's what slows PS2 emulation down so much. The PS2 has 2 and the 360 has 3 (plus they are faster), so you can imagine the immense CPU strain required.

wjffkdhkf

An Xbox360 and a PC are totally different things. The only similarities I can see between the two are the USB 2.0 capabilities and the VGA compatibility. PCs use x86 processors by Intel or AMD, but the 360 uses a triple core PPC by IBM. So unless you find some way to convert PPC code into x86 code running on 3 different threads, it's not going to happen and you WILL need a powerful PC to emulate it. 360 also has 3 Vector Units per core (afaik) and if I recall correctly, that's what slows PS2 emulation down so much. The PS2 has 2 and the 360 has 3 (plus they are faster), so you can imagine the immense CPU strain required.

Hey, then what about those quad cores that's been coming out recently? I own a custom PC with 2.4 GH quad-core, GeForce 8800 GT w/ 512MB graphic memory and 4 gigs of ddr rams. I bought this monster computer for a cheap price at Dragon Hills while I was in Korea so i can run Crysis in maximum performance.

But this one prick I know who always goes on and on about how his 360 is so awesome that he orgasms whenever he picks up the controller was dissing my purchase saying that I wasted money on a PC when i could've gotten a 360 ,which is better and more powerful than any PC, for a cheaper price. It is true that 360 is cheaper I admit, however, it seems to me that 360 follows the same format as PCs looking at how it has a proccessor, ram, hard drive and a graphic processing unit. And my computer surpasses 360 in every way! So I guess, the thing that seperates those two things apart is either the operating software, or an extra component exclusively for 360.

I know this is a childish competition that has absolutely no point. But seriously, u guys haven't dealt with this dude. Stubborn as fu**, just keeps on bringing the subject whenever he can. How 360 is so awesome and more powerful than PS3 and PC. And I don't even own a PS3 lol....;;

So, stupid and completely idiotic it may sound, I played along in his childish competition. I showed him that PCs can perform 360 games anyday by running assassin's creed and call of duty 4 (which loaded up faster than his 360 by the way.)

His final argument was that Halo 3's world is so awesome, detailed, realistic, and huge, that a PC can't hardly handle it, which is why it's xbox 360 exclusive...;;;

Look, i know it's completely stupid and childish. But this dude's seriously getting on my nerves and i need to shut him up soon. So, since i have a powerful PC, is there any way for me to mod it or install an emulator so it can emulate a virtual 360?

-edit-

Never mind, I read FatTrucker's and blueshogun's post. lol. So the processor has to pull off everything including the display adapter and ram's supposed to do? Oh wow, I'll need a PC that is 10 times more powerful than mine to emulate 360. Well, I wish I knew more about these hardware things so i can mod my PC's hardware part to run console games

Last edited:

blueshogun96

The Old Kid
Hey, then what about those quad cores that's been coming out recently? I own a custom PC with 2.4 GH quad-core, GeForce 8800 GT w/ 512MB graphic memory and 4 gigs of ddr rams. I bought this monster computer for a cheap price at Dragon Hills while I was in Korea so i can run Crysis in maximum performance.

But this one prick I know who always goes on and on about how his 360 is so awesome that he orgasms whenever he picks up the controller was dissing my purchase saying that I wasted money on a PC when i could've gotten a 360 ,which is better and more powerful than any PC, for a cheaper price. It is true that 360 is cheaper I admit, however, it seems to me that 360 follows the same format as PCs looking at how it has a proccessor, ram, hard drive and a graphic processing unit. And my computer surpasses 360 in every way! So I guess, the thing that seperates those two things apart is either the operating software, or an extra component exclusively for 360.

I know this is a childish competition that has absolutely no point. But seriously, u guys haven't dealt with this dude. Stubborn as fu**, just keeps on bringing the subject whenever he can. How 360 is so awesome and more powerful than PS3 and PC. And I don't even own a PS3 lol....;;

So, stupid and completely idiotic it may sound, I played along in his childish competition. I showed him that PCs can perform 360 games anyday by running assassin's creed and call of duty 4 (which loaded up faster than his 360 by the way.)

His final argument was that Halo 3's world is so awesome, detailed, realistic, and huge, that a PC can't hardly handle it, which is why it's xbox 360 exclusive...;;;

Look, i know it's completely stupid and childish. But this dude's seriously getting on my nerves and i need to shut him up soon. So, since i have a powerful PC, is there any way for me to mod it or install an emulator so it can emulate a virtual 360?

-edit-

Never mind, I read FatTrucker's and blueshogun's post. lol. So the processor has to pull off everything including the display adapter and ram's supposed to do? Oh wow, I'll need a PC that is 10 times more powerful than mine to emulate 360. Well, I wish I knew more about these hardware things so i can mod my PC's hardware part to run console games

Quite frankly, the only option I see today to even imagine emulating 360 would be to use some form of static binary translation (as I stated earlier) using the x86-64 architecture (none of that x86-32 crap), but you'd still require a multi-core PC (more than 3, at least 10) to divide the work of about 12 or more threads/processes and about 1 or even 2 gigs of RAM. Each core has one vector unit and runs 2 threads. This is meerly speculation, and such ideas aren't worth trying at this time because 360 emulation is far from a reality.

Oh, and modding your PC's hardware isn't going to help.

spotanjo3

It is reality.. It is just that nobody developed for 360 emulator right now. The same for PS3.. They will happen between 5 to 10 years from now and for a few playable games will happen in 15-20 years from now. Just forget it, will you guys ? :)

yugiohmaster

A+ Certified
the answer to this question is pretty simple i just not practical like most of u already know making emulator is something u do with money from your own pocket and people just buy the consoles cuz of the benefits of playing online.

and besides to run and emulator of this scale u will need more than one pc runing simultaniously to atleast get a couple of pixels

XeroForever

Unreal Alliances
Well with advances in modern technology you should probably wait a year after the next gen systems come out(the ones after these). So you will jus have to wait about another 4-6 years.

XeroForever

Unreal Alliances

Not to mention nobody would do this, because what would be the point your really not getting anything out of this just another PC that may or may not work. And the crap on the ppl would say on youtube if someone was to post a video of it would be another reason why it would be pointless of making a PC out of a 360. Now if someone could find a way to make so the 360's Processing Power and add that to your PC's Processing power (or however that works like how Rockman and Forte did with Twilight Princess on his two PC's together) so that other emulations on your PC would work perfectly.

THANAMELESS

The Unknown
Well with advances in modern technology you should probably wait a year after the next gen systems come out(the ones after these). So you will jus have to wait about another 4-6 years.

i think this is the best statement of this thread, look at the psx wich most people can (relatively) easy emulate now. i dont know the exact release date of the psx but the lite version or just ps1 was released in 1995 so it took 13 years to emulate it. (actually a few years shorter because a few years ago it was also possible to emulate it) so it would actually take 11 years IF it wouldn't be so that the development goes faster then back then so i think it will actually take till something like 2016 or something - and then it will be for normal quately pc's-

XeroForever

Unreal Alliances
i think this is the best statement of this thread, look at the psx wich most people can (relatively) easy emulate now. i dont know the exact release date of the psx but the lite version or just ps1 was released in 1995 so it took 13 years to emulate it. (actually a few years shorter because a few years ago it was also possible to emulate it) so it would actually take 11 years IF it wouldn't be so that the development goes faster then back then so i think it will actually take till something like 2016 or something - and then it will be for normal quately pc's-
Thank you, Nameless

heat84

So what about now? Is a 4-8 core CPU and 4-12 GB of RAM still not enough power for both the emulator and the OS its installed on to run practically fast enough at the same time? And couldn't you use today's GPU's for some of that processing power? If not most of it? I'm in no hurry for this(and good things come to those who wait). I've got plenty of other games on other platforms to keep me occupied. Not to mention my life.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
It depends on the method at witch its emulated. As for the growing trend, hell no. Emulation development has become ( for the lack of a better work ) lazy. High level emulation is the paradigm that allows emulation to be developed quicker and easier. The down fall is that you need one heck of a processor to make the game playable.

So yes, if someone would take the time and beat the ASM to death and revere engineer the 360, it could run on today's systems. IMO, and its just my opinion, a 360 and that silly xbox should be quite easy to emulate, heck its practicably a computer as it is. Never the less, no promising emulators are here. Since no one has really done any low-level emulation since n64 ( I think, not sure about dolphin ) I dont think you will see a 360 emulator any time soon.

Last edited:

blueshogun96

The Old Kid
Wow, haven't been here in ages, and least expected this thread to be still alive.

So, who actually wants a 360 emulator to begin with? The only game(s) of interest (that I see) are Halo 3 and DOAX2. I'd say it's possible to do a combination of HLE (Xeon style) and static rec (Cxbx style) and maybe emulate Halo 3. The XeXDK was leaked and the version that was leaked is close to that of the one used to make the final build of Halo 3. I'd love to try myself, but I don't have the hardware necessary. Since the last time I visited this forum, I've greatly increased my knowledge of the 360's arch and found some interesting stuff that could lead up to an emulator. Hopefully my track record with Cxbx will help somewhat. How about it?

blueshogun96

The Old Kid
haha xbox 360 emulation not possible for while.
Here information: http://xbox360emulator.com/

The creator of that site appears to have no technical knowledge of the Xbox 360 in general. At best, he only understands basic concepts of emulation and probably hasn't written an emulator of his own.

360 emulation is VERY possible today depending on your implementation, but the desired results such as emulating Halo 3 aren't guaranteed. First of all, for reasons already stated, you can't use traditional methods of emulation such as interpreters and dynarec because that's far too slow and on average we'd need 10x the CPU speed for it to run at any desirable speeds. Therefore, static rec is our only option. A PowerPC 64 -> x86-64 conversion prior to execution would elliminate most speed issues and we can also do an Altivec64 -> SSEx conversion as well for the vector units. Then once that is perfected, we can use HLE for everything else with the help of the XeXDK.

I'm telling you, it's very possible. It's all a matter of thinking outside the box. "Then why haven't you done/tried it already?" you might ask? Hardware limitations. I don't have a computer with the specs I need (Windows Vista/7 x64, multicore CPU, Direct3D 11 class GPU, etc.) and since I'm unemployed, I can't go out and buy the parts needed like most of you can. Sucks being poor \/_\/

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Reasons he has no clue what he is talking about.

1) The article is way to short. You can't even explain the basics of emulation with that much text. How do you expect to argue it?
2) Zero credentials, really who to hell do you think you are.
3) Every good argument has certain points it must address. He only hit one of them. The topic.
4) The only point that he addressed that had any real meaning was this "So for now you should refrain from downloading any shady programs promising you to run your favorite games for the sake you your antivirus", but only an idiot would believe the first thing they read to be true. Oh, whoops sorry Mark didnt mean to direct that to you at all, but I guess indirectly it did :x
5) One of the most obvious point in emulation is power. You need enough power to run the OS, emulator, and play the game. This is the only reason 360 emulation is far to become, yet he totality fails to mention it. And to address this point, the power of the top of the line systems today could easily do this. Though we dont really have any emulators in the works.

Last edited: