Mame32 (0.90) and X-Men: Children of the Atom help

enjikari

I've downloaded the xmcota.zip file and have placed it in the roms folder of my Mame32, but I still get the errors:

xmne.03e NOT FOUND
xmne.04e NOT FOUND
xmn.05a NOT FOUND
xmn.06a NOT FOUND
xmn.07a NOT FOUND
xmn.08a NOT FOUND
xmn.09a NOT FOUND
xmn.10a NOT FOUND
xmnex.03e NOT FOUND
xmnex.04e NOT FOUND
xmn.13 NOT FOUND
xmn.15 NOT FOUND
xmn.17 NOT FOUND
xmn.19 NOT FOUND
xmn.14 NOT FOUND
xmn.16 NOT FOUND
xmn.18 NOT FOUND
xmn.20 NOT FOUND
xmn.01a NOT FOUND
xmn.02a NOT FOUND
xmn.11 NOT FOUND
xmn.12 NOT FOUND

Which is odd, because all of these files are in the xmcota.zip file. What am I doing wrong, or what can I do to play this?

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Have you left it zipped?, and have you run a fresh audit since putting it in your roms folder?.

If the answer to both questions above is yes then I would hazard a guess that you are missing the CPSII bios rom.

enjikari

Yes, I have all the files zipped and have pressed F5 and audited. Still doesn't show up in the "available" list, nor can I play it. So what are these "CPSII bios rom" and "parent rom" items? If they are needed I'll try and find them, but I don't know what they are, nor what to look for.

On this note, and to help my future questions (since they all seem to be related), I am having similar problems with the following games:

X-Men vs. Street Fighter
TMNT: Turtles In Time (2player ver)
Marvel Super Heroes
Marvel vs. Capcom

I download the correct zip file (for example: X-Men Vs. Street Fighter (US 961004) = xmvsfur1.zip) and place them in the roms folder, but I get nothing when I press F5 and audit. I have the roms d/l'ed and put in the right place, but I can't play the games; all these games tell me that xxx ammount of files are missing when they're in the zipped folders. Odd, and aggrovating.

Epsi

Zoo Keeper
cps 2 bios? huh? is there such a thing? Anyway sounds like your missing the parent rom files... or thats what it sounds like. For clones to work you need their parent files.

playmazter76

The Retro Kid
U probably need 2 upgrade ur roms and ur emulator thats what 2 me 4 a while till I upgraded the roms 2 the version of the emulator 4 example mame .116 will need .116 roms and so on I hope this helps.

Epsi

Zoo Keeper
I agree, I highly recommend you update your mame32 setup from 0.90 to at least 0.106, althou i recommend 0.117. But i dout that wil fix your problem... is it just cps 2 games that dont work?

enjikari

I'm not sure what cps 2 is, so I dunno if I have those game sor not or if that's why they're not working. I'm gonna upgrade my Mame32 and see if that helps. If THIS info helps, here are the ROMs I have that work:

Killer Instinct (v1.5d)
Killer Instinct 2 (v1.4)
Mortal Kombat Mortal Kombat 3 (rev 5.0t -Unit03/19/93)
Mortal Kombat 3 (rev 2.1)
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (rev 1.2)
Mortal Kombat II (rev L3.1)
Street Fighter EX Plus (USA 970311)

Those (save a few glitches here and there) work fine. It's the ones I've listed in the previous post that don't seem to work. I'll try the update and edit this post to let know if it helped or not.

<edit >
Ho boy. I d/l'ed Mame32 .117 and it gives me this:
M.A.M.E. is a console application, you should launch it from a command prompt.

My old DOS class info has left me; I have no idea how to run this ver. I can tell this might take a bit of help. Right now, I want to focus on getting this new ver. to run from a shortcut like my old MAME32 ver, and getting at least Killer Instinct and the x-men-type games I listed above to work. If someone wants to PM/chat/MySpaceIM/call me and help, it'd be appreciated. Otherwise I'd equally appreciate just replying to this thread.

Last edited:

Epsi

Zoo Keeper
your kidding me. download mame32, not mame. all those games that work arnt cps 2, and the ones that doent work are cps 2

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
The rom he stated he was using xmcota.zip is the parent rom for X-Men:CotA.
Also looking inside the folder shows the necessary files are present and correct so the issue appears to be with Mame recognising the rom rather than the the files being incorrect.

After doing a little digging, it appears that a specific bios for CPS2 should be unnecessary but there have been significant changes to the CPS2 romsets since v0.90 so the most likely culprit is perhaps that the rom you are using is not compatible with such an old version of mame32.

The console error mentioned a couple of posts up is because you have downloaded commandline mame not mame32.

You can grab later versions of Mame32 up to v0.108 from here or download the latest version (0.117) from here

Last edited:

enjikari

OK, good news. I've d/l'ed and installed the regular mame32 .117 and it's working fine. Also, all the games listed (and even all of the old ones I have) work just fine. All I needed was an update to my Mame32 and presto: instant arcade fun. Thanks for the help guys, it's greatly appreciated. Take care!

Last edited:

Epsi

Zoo Keeper
Glad we could help. And remember to update your Mame32 every year atleast once.

enjikari

I noticed on this new Mame32 that Tekken and Soul Calibur games are listed. I don't have that much knowledge about the requirements for MAME i.e. what it can and can't do; I just d/l, install, and play. My question is, what type of PC requirements are needed to play oh say, Tekken Tag Tournament and Soul Calibur? If my PC and this MAME can handle it, I'd love to add these to my collection.

<edit> I just realized, I'm veering off the topic. The question I asked originally has been answered. Having said that, and begging the pardon of the admins here, I will re-post THIS post as it's own seperate topic. Apologies in advance for any trouble this has caused.

Last edited:

spotanjo3

I noticed on this new Mame32 that Tekken and Soul Calibur games are listed. I don't have that much knowledge about the requirements for MAME i.e. what it can and can't do; I just d/l, install, and play. My question is, what type of PC requirements are needed to play oh say, Tekken Tag Tournament and Soul Calibur? If my PC and this MAME can handle it, I'd love to add these to my collection.

<edit> I just realized, I'm veering off the topic. The question I asked originally has been answered. Having said that, and begging the pardon of the admins here, I will re-post THIS post as it's own seperate topic. Apologies in advance for any trouble this has caused.

For better speed to play teeken and soul calibur... Get this:

Zinc emulator

http://www.emuhype.com/files/zinc11-win32.zip

ZiNc OpenGL and D3D renderers 1.2

http://www.emuhype.com/files/d3d-ogl12.zip

You will need to download ZN-1 BIOS firmware.zip and type ZN-1 BIOS zinc firmware.zip at google.com, ok ? :)

ENJOY!

DropDeadEd

OK, good news. I've d/l'ed and installed the regular mame32 .117 and it's working fine. Also, all the games listed (and even all of the old ones I have) work just fine. All I needed was an update to my Mame32 and presto: instant arcade fun. Thanks for the help guys, it's greatly appreciated. Take care!

I would have kept the old build as more people play it.

But whatever floats your boat.

For better speed to play teeken and soul calibur... Get this:

Zinc emulator

http://www.emuhype.com/files/zinc11-win32.zip

ZiNc OpenGL and D3D renderers 1.2

http://www.emuhype.com/files/d3d-ogl12.zip

You will need to download ZN-1 BIOS firmware.zip and type ZN-1 BIOS zinc firmware.zip at google.com, ok ? :)

ENJOY!

There's an even faster method.

Albeit the sound is missing.

Last edited: