Black Screen with all Emulators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sebastian

Yes, its the newest DirectX.

Hm. I cant say whats the failure. Maybe a programmer knows it?

Greetings,
Sebastian

onewecallgod

do you gave any general stability problems when running your computer? like random crashes or random BSODs?

J

Jet Set Willy

Run dxdiag*, and see if the graphics card tests come up blank too.

*Start>Run> - type "dxdiag".

Sebastian

Yes. All the newest.

The point I think over is, that my brother has the same problems too. Silent Hill 1 runs fine, no other games. So I think over this points:

1. My brother and I has AMD-Athlon-CPU.
2. Adri-PSX Failure Message sais: Unsupported MIPS-CPU-Instruction
3. PSX works with Intel-CPU?

I know its the same technice, but inside the cpu there are different grafic-scripts I think. Intel supports other Specifications, dont know the names. Can it be, inside the cpu, some of this scripts are only supported by Intel and all the Emulators are working with them? I think for some Standards. So I think AMD and Intel support Direct X, but Intel has some other Standards and AMD too. Maybe the emulators are focused at one of this standard? Maybe it would help to find out whats an MIPS-CPU-Instruction.

Greetings,
Sebastian

Guitar Gamer

That would be the strangest problem I've ever seen. I too have an AMD processor but can emulate everything quite well. Even though I can't see how - the only big difference between your system and most others is the fact your processor is 64 bit. But that shouldn't matter.

Just wanted to point out it's more then likely not a problem related to AMDs.

onewecallgod

yeah that doesnt seems right... i've played this on 3 of my AMD cpus (Tbird 1ghz, Tbred 2400+, Barton 2400+) and it all works fine.

does your brother also use an A64?

yes, there are special enhancement multimedia instructions on AMD and Intel CPUs, but it doesnt make sense here. the A64 has all the special instruction sets that the P4 has (SSE2, MMX, 3D Now+), so nothing different there

Sebastian

Ok. If AMD works, then this isnt the point. My brother has an older Athlon. Athlon 1200 or so.

So now I really dont know what it could be.

MIPS-CPU-Instruction?

Greetings,
Sebastian

Guitar Gamer

Yep... I googled it and...

MIPS - Millions of instructions per second. A measure of processing power.

I also googled the phrase 'MIPS CPU Instruction Error' and found one other person with a similiar problem to yours but no answer. The spiral seems to just keep going down. <_<

onewecallgod

yeah GG, i googled it too and that guy had a completly different system.... couldnt find any similarities....

i'll take a stab in the dark here: have you tried updating the bios?

Sebastian

Bios is from MSI too and MSI has a program, that checks and update all drivers, bios and so on automatically. I use it. This way I always have the newest drivers and bios.

Greetings,
Sebastian

Sebastian

It seems so. I found some people in net having the same question but nowhere a answer till now.

So, if me and my brother(completely different systems) have the same problems its hard to believe the coder of for example epsxe didnt get told it.

I dont know...

Greetings,
Sebastian

onewecallgod

wait a minute.... it cant be possible that your MSI program automatically flashes a new updated bios. if it were true, MSI is really, really dumb. flashing a bios and risky and normally voids the motherboard's warrenty for bad flashes. you can do it in windows either, must boot a disk (abit's flashmenu is the only one i know of that flashes in windows)

M.H.A.Q.S.

I don't know if this solves your problem Sebastian but try this:

Go to Pete's plugin configuration or any plugin that you are using for any emulator and try a different texture quality. Like change it from "R8 G8 B8 A8" to something else and then try again. It may be your graphic card's and monitor profiles messing up.

I came up with this idea because i solved this problem once. A friend of mine was having the same problem and I tried messing up with graphic properties, color profiles and some GPU settings. Along with ePSXe, I got other emus working correctly too.

I don't know but I hope this helps you out.

J

Jet Set Willy

MIPS does mean million instructions per second, but not in this case. The processor inside the Playstation is a RISC "MIPS" processor - MIPS are also known as SGI. The emulator is saying that you're running code on the emulated machine which doesn't make any sense to the simulated processor. I imagine that if this happens on startup, it's an indication that you're running a dodgy BIOS.

It isn't an issue with your own processor. If that were to encounter an instruction it didn't like, it would probably just crash.

Find a legitimate BIOS file.

As for the black screen - use a different graphics plugin. Definitely try Pete's software plugin, or the OpenGL one if you're using DirectX. I expect you've just set some odd options in your plugin - might even work if you set things to default (Fast/Nice).

Sebastian

MSI has a program called MSI Live Monitor. It checks automatically if the version of bios or version of drivers, software and so on at system is older than in net. I have flushed a newer bios 2 times till now in windows mode and it all worked fine. With a disk they say its possible to reget the older bios but it worked till now. The bios is updated in windows without problems. Before User has to close some programs and then automatically it is flushed. After it I had to remade some changes in bios but all other things ok.

I tried to change the texture quality but it didnt change. I tested all 4Values with epsxe. But it remains black screen. I tested to run it with absolut minimum settings, but only black.

The Bios Im using is the newest. With an older bios the problem was still there. So the bios should be ok. I tried settings nice and fast and I tested directx and opengl from pete but it remains black.

Greetings,
Sebastian

Status
Not open for further replies.