beyond today...

zeldafreak1223

Some Computer Punk
ive been thinking about stuff like this for awhile now. what is going to happen once we reach the point of video games perfectly emulating the real world (in terms of graphics)? will games stop being produced? or will we move into the realm of virtual reality? or will we all have to wear glasses to enable us to see the better than reality graphics of tomorrow? and even more of a question, how will emulation keep up? i mean, we're already in the seventh generation of gamin (wikipedia it if you dont know what that means) and we still dont have good working emus for the sixth generation. i certianly dont see the emu scene just dying, but it could take years to catch up. just a thought for today...

Ryanfaescotland

Well if you think about how emulation works today it's all about getting software for one system to work on another. So in order for emulation to be possible in your future world there would have to be at least 2 systems and they would have to be of similar spec to emulate each other or if one was superior to the other the emulation could only be one way. So since there are at least 2 systems in the future they are probably going to be similar spec because of competitiveness so Virtual Reality will be avalible on all systems that stay competitive. So then it's just a question of making one systems VR work on the others'. So yeah emulation will still be around unless 1 company destroys the rest which I doubt will happen unless there is a social revolution.

And emulation will never catch up with the current generation because of the way the product life cycle works in bussiness. The PS4 or whatever Sony is taking out next will already be in developement and will be for multiple years. Emulation of that system can only start when it is released to the public so emulation is always going years behind.

But it's my thinking that in the future everything will be linked by electronic networks and there will only be one system, some form of pc, that controls everything - your home, currency, cars - and developers will develope for that rather than their own system.

zeldafreak1223

Some Computer Punk
But it's my thinking that in the future everything will be linked by electronic networks and there will only be one system, some form of pc, that controls everything - your home, currency, cars - and developers will develope for that rather than their own system.
A Virtually Run Society eh? Well, that would be interesting. But With so much dependence on technology, one crash of a system, or one hack aattck and the entire world is in jeopardy. Sounds like fun!:happy:

Ryanfaescotland

And is it not that way now?

EDIT - just noticed my title lol Senior Newbie, I'm from Scotland not Mexico :D

Last edited:

Zach

I wish a future of cyberization like Ghost in The Shell would be realized long before my lifetime is over.. I'd be the first one to sign on the dotted line.

As far as gaming goes. We already have glasses/goggles for VR, so I can see those being improved graphics wise. But something along the lines of Star Trek's Holodeck is ultimately the desired platform we should be evolving towards. Imagine playing Counter-Strike and actually being IN the game, etc.. You just can't replicate something like that in a pair of goggles or via a screen, even if it does evoke emotional responses.

In a world where people are cyberized however, gaming will take place inside the mind, much like an MMORPG type structure. People connect to some kind of central hub that handles generating the reality in images our mind can process and we play games that way. Kind of like the Holodeck scenario without having to create the Holodeck.

Last edited:

Spellsong

Gray Mage
ive been thinking about stuff like this for awhile now. what is going to happen once we reach the point of video games perfectly emulating the real world (in terms of graphics)? will games stop being produced? or will we move into the realm of virtual reality? or will we all have to wear glasses to enable us to see the better than reality graphics of tomorrow? and even more of a question, how will emulation keep up? i mean, we're already in the seventh generation of gamin (wikipedia it if you dont know what that means) and we still dont have good working emus for the sixth generation. i certianly dont see the emu scene just dying, but it could take years to catch up. just a thought for today...

I have a feeling that will most likely never happen. I have this gut feeling that there is a limit.

Last edited:

Zach

What are you referring to ? A limit to emulation or a limit to what we can achieve with technology ?

There is no way technology is going to stop progressing, and to a lesser extent that includes emulation. It may slow down but it will always make at least some progress.

cooly99

Banned
we are getting ther it finally wii hey zach stop deleting my post or i will tell the administrator

Spellsong

Gray Mage
What are you referring to ? A limit to emulation or a limit to what we can achieve with technology ?

There is no way technology is going to stop progressing, and to a lesser extent that includes emulation. It may slow down but it will always make at least some progress.

I was talking about video games. I don't expect to be right. Its just a guess.