backing up and emulating

Ryanfaescotland

Yeah mate that'd be awesome not sure how good the pics are going to be though there looking pretty blurry so far. I'll post one up later if you want to see an example.

Zach

I use a tripod for my pics.. Or when I can't I find some other way to set it ontop of something and set the timer.

Also make sure you are taking your picture with sufficient lighting and with the flash on. On my camera turning the flash off totally kills the focus for some reason (cheap POS), and having extra lighting also helps keep it clear.

Ryanfaescotland

Problem is I'm working on the floor and taking photo's from above so can't really rest the camera on anything. I'll try propping things up and sitting the cam on the floor instead or if that fails I can always try using the video camera and grabbing stills from that although it's quite a hassle and I'd rather avoid that.

Anyways here's a couple of pics.

This is a pretty good one (so imagin what the bad ones are like)
FZ49D1.jpg

Here is a bad one

KQ70M1.jpg

Here's the worst one!

QL73Q.jpg

Zach

You DEFINITELY need more lighting in those pictures regardless of the blurring. The pics are gonna "make" the Article - unless you are proficient enough to actually draw technical diagrams, in which case that would be OK.

Last edited:

Ryanfaescotland

I can draw a basic circut as in a power source, a resistor and a bulb but I doubt I can draw it properly and I really doubt I could draw this circut. Anyways I'd rather avoid that since this guide is meant to be as simple as possible.

Here are the new pics taken using my camcorder instead and with the items put on a white piece of paper. I also changed my bulb from an energy effiecint one to a 100W one so if the world bursts into flames blame Zach.

Newpic1.jpg

Newpic2.jpg

They are alot better IMHO but could probably be lighter still I'll prob try using a table light next to where I'm filming see what difference that makes.

EDIT - I've tested it and the bulb next to it makes no difference so that's as light as it gets least without photoshop which I don't have.

Last edited:

Zach

When photographing things in a room you usually want back-lighting or foreground lighting. a light source from behind the camera may work better to your advantage. Or behind the object you are filming.

Putting it next to it won't do much as the light source is hitting it from the side and not hitting the proper area to illuminate the whole object...

Hell you could always go down to a local druggers and get a disposable Kodak with flash or something cheap like that, and have it developed digitally onto a CD or something... (disks are evil - horrible compressed images)

All that aside, whatever the case I will probably clean the pictures up when you send them to me anyhow.

Last edited:

Ryanfaescotland

Yeah that's from the camcorder. I'll keep a copy of the unedited ones from now on for you but it's not a digital camcorder so it's quite a scutter hence I can't be assed going back and redoing all the ones I've already done!

Making a start on the construction now and already I've found I'm not listening to my own advice of 'read the instructions right through before begining" since it says to by a 62-pin connector then tells you later on if you've bought a 64-pin you can skip this step.... so my instructions are for the 62-pin extra step way but I'll probably mention it.

Ryanfaescotland

It's finished!!

Got a problem though. I've set up an old computer to test it on since my laptop doesn't have a parallel port but inorder to get it to work I need the software needed onto the old computer. Laptop doesn't have floppy discs.

Only way I can see is burning it to CD-R which should work since the old comp has a CD-Rewritter so should be able to read the CD's burnt from the laptop. Apparently not.

I burn the software on the laptop but when I open the CD in the old computer nothing appears. I am using CD-R's and not DVDs. Anyone know where I'm going wrong or what I need to do??

Old Computer - Windows 98, CD-ReWritter
Laptop - Windows Vista, DVD-ReWritter

Zach

VIsta may be writing it in a file format older versions of windows don't recognize.

Why don't you just email the files to yourself ?

Ryanfaescotland

The older computer doesn't have an internet connection.

insanemaniak

This User Is Insane
You got an mp3 player? Or a portable storage device?

You put the files onto it and then put it on the other comp?

Ryanfaescotland

No can do as the laptop only has USB connectors and the old pc doesn't have any......hmmm it does have a USB mouse with an adaptor to plug it into it's PS/2 port wonder if I could do something with that....

Ryanfaescotland

Ok you useless lot here is the answer :p http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/2af64e60-60aa-4d79-ab6c-3a5db5806cbe1033.mspx and that's it going now!!!

I'll know in about 5 min if it works or no unless I faint from excitment!!

EDIT 1 - ok attempt 2!! come on it'll work !!

EDIT 2 - ok had a couple of stabs at reading roms ( 8 I think ) 2 attempts at Fifa 95 and 6 at Super Hang On (SHO). 2 Fifa's were done in windows and I have a fifa.bin which is 4meg in size. The SHO were done in windows 2 at full speed, 1 at medium, 2 in dos at full, 1 at medium and all have came out 4 meg in size. Comparing the files as suggested in the trouble shooting shows no differences between any of them, even between the fifa.bin and the sho.bin so something must be wrong. Sadly even if the device isn't plugged in if the software is run it creates a .bin file with size 4 meg which makes me think all the files created are the same junk.

I'm in the middle of installing a hex editor on the old comp to compare files and thankfully I have some roms on there so I can compare it against them.

My only thought on it's reason for not working is that I had to substitute 2 of the chips for what I believed to be the same thing under different codes and maybe I got it wrong. All my soldering looks fine and I checked constantly that everything was in the right place.

Well it's taking ages to open the hex editors maybe cause the CD im using is 1000years old so that might not happen. I might try another cd to transfer the editors....

Any thoughts anyone??

EDIT 3 - Got the Hex Editor working and as I thought the files are just full of 00's

Last edited:

Zach

I have one... Get a fucking LAN card... You rold PC has what... ISA slots ?? I think they're $5, LOL... ISA :biglaugh:

Ryanfaescotland

I've got the hex editor going now think it was just a bad CD or something and it shows that my rom dumps are empty which means the dumper isn't working :(

Can't think what it is I've looked over the board and all solders look good with no short circuts so the only thing I can think is problems with the chips which I can't check without replacing and that means more online shopping which I ain't going to do.

I'm afriad that means game over for now I might revist the project at a later date but no breath holding...

Ryanfaescotland

That won't dry my tears though....

Just kidding would have been cool if it worked but ultimatly it would have been pointless since they can easily be obtained through other, faster means.

Still yeah I learnt some useful things.

Sorry by the way for not being able to complete the guide for your article Zach.

Last edited:

viperassasin

i have the playstation emulator on my PC but i cannot get it to work even using the cd. When go to start the mission I get stuck in my items shed. It works fine in my playstation but will not work on my PC help.