Having problems with ePSXe ISO disc change?

Amyurabis

I thought I would put this here for people who desperately need help with an ISO that’s giving them trouble when it asks to change disks. The ISO will freeze after you tell ePSXe to change to the next ISO; forever leaving you hanging half-way through the plotline of your game.

~You needn’t worry if it is a game with a save option right before the disc change like FFVII, just exit ePSXe and start your game with the next ISO.~

But what about those that don’t have the luxury of a save? This is what I set out to find!

I ran into various complex methods of extracting ISOs, combing ISOs, making new CUEs to include both ISOs, and other tedious sounding methods. To be honest, I am no programmer and it would take me forever to figure out how to do any of this. So instead of picking up a programming book, I sought a simpler solution. I think I found one:

1. Obtain a program capable of burning Playstation formatted CDs (I recommend Alcohol 120 trial or full version; if you can’t obtain Alcohol 120, seek out another program that can accomplish this).

2. Use your respective program to burn your ISO image onto a CD using a cue or any other component compatible with your program; like an img file (for Alcohol: click “Image Burning Wizard”, navigate to your ISO, and open its cue or img, etc).

:excl:Make sure you specifically format your CD for Playstation use! Please look up instructions on your program of choice to find out how it is done (for Alcohol it is within the drop-down window on the bottom-left of the burn options window)

3. If your ISO already has a usable cue or img file, skip to step 4. Some ISOs have no cue or img file compatible with a burn program; often times they will just have a “BIN” or “binary” file. To solve this problem, you must create a cue file for your ISO using notepad. Once in notepad, simply type this to make a cue:

FILE "(YourISOName).BIN" BINARY
TRACK 1 MODE2/2352
INDEX 1 00:00:00

Then save it as “(YourISOName).cue” and put it in the same folder as your ISO.

4. Burn a copy of ALL of the CDs involved in your ISO. If it has more than 2 discs, then the other discs will help in future disc changes.

5. Start ePSXe using the 1st CD (or whatever disc you're on) of the game (not the ISO). When it asks to change discs, tell ePSXe to switch discs CD then simply open your computer disc drive and insert the second disc (if this gives you trouble, try inserting the disc when it tells you then order ePSXe to switch discs).

Wait for a bit… it works!

CDs tend to run slower than their ISO counterparts, so save as soon as you can then change back to using ISO!

In some cases (my “Lunar Silver Star Story Complete” was one of them); your ISO will mysteriously freeze after a lot of gaming with no explanation. I found (after looking the game up on a FAQ-Walkthrough site) that it was time for a disc change and that it wasn’t asking me to change discs. Like above, it had no save right before the change.

In this case, I guessed at where the disc change would be after a particular scene. It took a few tries, but I finally got past the wretched switch point.

I hope this will help those of you who want to continue your games without having to waste precious time splicing, dicing, or having the embarrassment of telling your collage programming teacher you took the course to fix your game!

Have fun! Happy gaming!

Last edited:

ReeceMix

I found this thread because I was having problems swapping the ISO for Abes Exodus with epsxe. After reading this i realised it can be solved much easier.
Mount the Images with Daemon tools (3.47 is best as it mounts NRGs(Nero) newer versions dont) Run the Game as a CD-Rom epsxe treats it as a physical disc so when it comes to swapping the discs you just press ESC , unmount disc1 and mount disc2 with daemon tools, then click change disc & choose CD-ROM , it reads the image from the same virtual drive and presto-chango.

Glad it works as I havent used a real Cd-Rom in years lol, still I guess epsxe could use a bug fix for the ISO swap option

Last edited:

Amyurabis

This sounds like it would be much easier to work with and would save me alot of discs!

However, I downloaded Daemon Tools (the version you specified), but I do not know how to use it. I tried to open it, but it didn't respond. Am I using it correctly? How do you "mount" a disc or iso with this program?

Amyurabis

Okay I found out how to mount an image onto Daemon (by right clicking on the lightning bolt on the start bar; Virtual CD/DVD-ROM, Device 0: [LETTER] No Media, Mount Image) and my number of devices are set to 1, but when I tell ePSXe to run CD it just has a blank screen.

How do I make it run the mounted CD?

retroguiden

Man of Many Talents
You have to configure your Cdrom-plugin.

Config-->Cdrom-->Configure

Then choose the letter corresponding to your emulated drive.

Amyurabis

Thanks a lot retroguiden, it worked^^! I tested out changing discs by un-mounting the first disc, mounting the second disc, and then telling ePSXe to switch discs and it works well!

My original method of burning discs just to switch discs is now obsolete! I am happy that this solution presented itself!

Thank you all^^!

retroguiden

Man of Many Talents
Thanks a lot retroguiden, it worked^^! I tested out changing discs by un-mounting the first disc, mounting the second disc, and then telling ePSXe to switch discs and it works well!

My original method of burning discs just to switch discs is now obsolete! I am happy that this solution presented itself!

Thank you all^^!

Good to hear. And if you liked my advice you could add to my reputation ;)

retroguiden

Man of Many Talents
woah i never ever heard somebody say something like that:eek:why beg? -its not ment to be offending, but what is the profit of reputation thingy's?-

Why not? I want to see how it looks when reputation rises. And besides, judging from his answer I've earned it...

Amyurabis

You know, I did say "Thank you all!"...

I felt kind of foolish asking this to be a "sticky" by myself so I was happy when THANAMELESS thought so too!

As for ReeceMix and retroguiden they help me come up with a better solution.

I hate to sound like generic happy-go-lucky, but I really was thanking everyone:).

retroguiden

Man of Many Talents
You know, I did say "Thank you all!"...

I felt kind of foolish asking this to be a "sticky" by myself so I was happy when THANAMELESS thought so too!

As for ReeceMix and retroguiden they help me come up with a better solution.

I hate to sound like generic happy-go-lucky, but I really was thanking everyone:).

So everyone get's an add to their reputation? :D

d0z0

omg someone please help me, not only have i installed daemons tool, it tells me that it is "unable to mount image. unable to access sub-channel file" :(:(:( the file is a .ccd

somebody help! :bow: