Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should you update the graphics Adapter on a 4 year old computer??

Talking Should you update the graphics Adapter on a 4 year old computer??

Hiya people, I've been a member for a while but I haven't posted for AGES, I doubt you'll remember when I first showed up going on about graphics Cards & Stuff...! :$ Anyway, I haven't really had time to decide and actually buy one STILL, I just can't decide and another that's holding me back is the above question. I've read in places that it's not advisable to upgrade graphics adapters etc on computers that are about 3+ years old. My computer is about 4 years old and I haven't upgraded it at all since I got it, the computers been used alot since we've purchased it.

I would like to upgrade because it will fulfill my gaming experiences alot, in terms of emulating games and when it comes to playing more demanding PC games with more RAM requirements etc.

Here are my basic computer Specs:

Windows XP {Home}

Graphics Adapter: Onboard S3 Pro Savage DDR

CPU: Intel Celeron/Pentium 4 (2.0 GHz)

If you need more info tell me. :x
    Last edited by Crazy!; April 15th, 2007 at 20:36.
    CrAzY!

Default Re: Should you update the graphics Adapter on a 4 year old computer??

as long as you get a card that your motherboard supports, youll be fine.
    also make sure you have enough ram to support the card as well

Talking Re: Should you update the graphics Adapter on a 4 year old computer??

Oh but how on earth would I find out if my motherboard supports it, and about RAM, I thought the graphics card came with built in memory (RAM) to enhance graphics. So MY system has to have enough RAM as it stands now, how would I find that out?? **Thick...doooing!*

Thanks!

Edit: My mother Board name is Epox EP-P4MKI-S

Motherboard chipset: VIA VT8751A Apollo P4M266A

Memory Slots {RAM} - DRAM Slot #1 256 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)

I got this info from EVERSEST Pro, I think it's all right.
    Last edited by Crazy!; April 15th, 2007 at 22:34.
    CrAzY!

By the look of your integrated graphics, your motherboard is a Biostar. All you need to know if your motherboard has an AGP port. It doesn't matter if your AGP port is 4X or 8X, either way you can still plug any 8X video card into a 4X slot with the difference that its bandwidth will be reduced to 4X, but I don't think the difference is noticeable. I'm pretty sure your AGP port runs at 4X, because you said it's 4 years old.

In other words, you can plug any AGP card in your 4 years old computer, from the oldie Radeon 7000 to the almighty Radeon X1950 (ATI Cards). Also, nVidia will release an AGP version of its famous DirectX 10 card GeForce 8800.

Talking Re: Should you update the graphics Adapter on a 4 year old computer??

Thanks! You're a wicked help! I feel at ease now! Simple.

I think I'll get the Sapphire RADEON 9600XT. It's very affordable and seems to be a very good card!
    Last edited by Crazy!; April 15th, 2007 at 22:58.
    CrAzY!

ya i guess i should of been a bit more clear about what i meant by motherboard supporting the card.

as for ram all video cards have a minimum that they will work with, just like any other hardware.
    and it looks like the card you chose requires 128mb of ram. honestly id upgrade the ram to at least 512mb.

your system is already running at 50% the addition of that video card will only cause it to have display problems (it happened to me with my radeon 9800 pro)

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho_Symantic View Post
    as for ram all video cards have a minimum that they will work with, just like any other hardware.
    and it looks like the card you chose requires 128mb of ram. honestly id upgrade the ram to at least 512mb.
    That's not true, unless it has the TurboCache technology developed by nVidia to boost a 256 MB card to 512 MB, which requires at least 1 GB of system RAM. But that's not the case. Every video card have their own RAM, for example, my old Radeon 9200 being 128 MB of video RAM requires at least 64 MB of system RAM.

Anyway, it's always a good idea to read the system requirements of the video card before buying one. Make sure it meets the following characteristics:

• Video RAM should be at least 128 MB.
    • Buy either ATI (Radeon) or nVidia (GeForce) chipsets since they're the most dominant in market. It doesn't matter if the card has been manufactured by Sapphire, MSI or whatever, just make sure they're powered by one of those two chipsets.
    • Buy what you need. Don't waste money in a high-end video card if you're not gonna use it after all, but don't buy a low-end either, since you won't get an acceptable performance in modern games.

Quote Originally Posted by Butters View Post
    That's not true, unless it has the TurboCache technology developed by nVidia to boost a 256 MB card to 512 MB, which requires at least 1 GB of system RAM. But that's not the case. Every video card have their own RAM, for example, my old Radeon 9200 being 128 MB of video RAM requires at least 64 MB of system RAM.
    im not sure what your refuting here, can you be a bit more clear

What I mean is that when you have integrated graphics (no video card), RAM is shared and works as video memory. For example, let's say you have 256 MB of RAM installed on your system and you've assigned 32 MB as video memory. With this you'll have 224 MB of system RAM (256 MB of total system RAM - 32 MB of shared RAM = 224 MB of total system RAM).

With video cards that's not the case, since they have their own video memory modules. It doesn't matter if the card has 256 or 512 MB of video memory, you'll have your complete 256 MB of system RAM for other tasks and the video card will operate with its own video memory.

For TurboCache (nVIDIA), read here and for HyperMemory (ATI), read here.
    Last edited by Jale; April 16th, 2007 at 13:12.

Thumbs up Re: Should you update the graphics Adapter on a 4 year old computer??

Hiya, I'm finding this stuff complicated to be honest, I'm understanding butters! i think. I've looked on my Everest software and it says that my System Memory is 224MB and that my Display Adapter Memory is 32MB. So I'm guessing that means the onboards graphics is using 32MB of the original system memory to run, because the original total memory is 256MB.

So when I get a card I have to make sure that it will work in a computer with an original system memory of 256MB {For my computer, that is!?, is that right??}

Because as Butters! said the card comes with it's own memory so if I get a card with 256MB of memory does that mean that my total computer memory will be 512MB (256 x 2)? And I'm right in saying that my onboard graphics is using 32MB of the original system memory to run not memory of it's own? I'm getting it all, I think, I'm not getting whether I have to make sure my system has 128MB, 256MB etc of memory beforehand or not.

...???

EDIT: Look at these cards for example which card would be best to buy do yah think!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SAPPHIRE-ATI-R...QQcmdZViewItem - SAPPHIRE ATI Radeon 9250 256MB AGP 8x

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sapphire-RADEO...QQcmdZViewItem - Sapphire RADEON 9600XT (256 MB) AGP

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Asus-6600-TD-2...QQcmdZViewItem - Asus 6600 TD 256MB AGP 8x nVidia GeForce
    If there's a slightly more advanced card which is affordable, tell us!
    Last edited by Crazy!; April 16th, 2007 at 16:18.
    CrAzY!

Thread Information