Problem with Genesis, 32X and Sega CD controls on fusion emulator

thomas81

Some of you guys probably know about the fusion emulator, which is a emulator for every Sega system preceding the Sega Saturn. Anyway, I am having problems with the Genesis controls. I define the 3 button or 6 button controller, but when i try to load the game it thinks i am already pressing buttons without me touching anything (it starts juttering the start button on and off for example) I know that neither my keyboard is broken nor my joypad is broken because I have tried both the Master system roms through fusion which work perfectly and i have tried disconnecting my joypad but the problem is still persisting. I also know the roms themselves are not at fault because I have tried several genesis and 32x games yet the juttering pause and start button presses persist. Does this issue sound familiar to anyone that has used the Fusion emulator? If so what is the solution?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
This is actually a very common problem. It depends on the joystick you are using. Sometimes it detect button and sometimes analogs sticks. If you can not find a way to settle the random pressing you must do it manually. Looks at the ini under the

;---------------------------------
; General Settings
;---------------------------------

for example

Player1Buttons=34,35,32,33,1,2,0,9,48,49,10,8,8,9,10,11

each number is a button, I'm pretty sure these are in order as asked on the emulator but not 100% on that.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
it's a guessing game but I will tell you the bigger numbers are analogs. For example the first 4 of my above example are stick moments. then you see it goes to HID numbers (1,2,0,9,) button 1 2 0 and 9 on the joystick. If the emulator lets you press any buttons it will help find out what buttons are what numbers. If you can not get the emulator to do anything because it just reads one button, then you have to figure this out one button at a time. If you have more then one joystick and its the same kind, you can copy the number to another player.

thomas81

it's a guessing game but I will tell you the bigger numbers are analogs. For example the first 4 of my above example are stick moments. then you see it goes to HID numbers (1,2,0,9,) button 1 2 0 and 9 on the joystick. If the emulator lets you press any buttons it will help find out what buttons are what numbers. If you can not get the emulator to do anything because it just reads one button, then you have to figure this out one button at a time. If you have more then one joystick and its the same kind, you can copy the number to another player.

The difficulty is that when I load a Genesis or 32X game, the juttering start button starts off the bat, whether or not there is a controller attached to the computer.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Ok then the problem is so obvious it will make you laugh. Go back to the config menu, you will see the ge/32/cd config is one top and the MS/GG is on bottom. Now you still didnt answer my question.

"So you can config the controller ok before you load a game? "
- so maybe you have two problems? You must configure both of them. If you can not get the buttons to map right you need to do what I suggested above.

thomas81

Ok then the problem is so obvious it will make you laugh. Go back to the config menu, you will see the ge/32/cd config is one top and the MS/GG is on bottom. Now you still didnt answer my question.

"So you can config the controller ok before you load a game? "
- so maybe you have two problems? You must configure both of them. If you can not get the buttons to map right you need to do what I suggested above.

I am aware that the GE/32X/CD and MS/GG are on the config screen. I tried defining these at the same time, but the problem with the genesis games is still persisting. It allows me to define the controllers, but for some reason it is only working without any fault for MS/GG.

It is less than obvious to me how i am supposed to apply your above solution, since for one thing the start button function is pressing, regardless of whether or not i have actual controller attached.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
the start button function is pressing, regardless of whether or not i have actual controller attached.
during mapping or in game?
for some reason it is only working without any fault for MS/GG.
still sounds like the mapping failed.

Start by posting your "General Settings" ini code in here and ill have a look.

Last edited:

thomas81

during mapping or in game?
In game. The problems only manifest whenever a Genesis, 32X and I presume, Sega CD rom is in operation (i don't know because I haven't successfully been able to load a sega cd rom yet).

Again, the control pad with Master System and Game Gear works fine.
Start by posting your "General Settings" ini code in here and ill have a look.
Rather than cut n pasting the entre ini code onto a board, here is a link to the file itself.

https://www.mediafire.com/?iaoplcxu6s9lsmr

thomas81

From the ini it looks like the controller for player one is not the same type of controller for player to, this is not an issue, please just confirm.

For some weird reason, everytime i tried to edit the .ini file it went back to its default form.

I gave up with Fusion in the end and started using Gens plus. While it may not be the most highly rated sega multi platform emulator, I can at least get the Genesis and 32X controls to work. The only problem that i'm having is with the Sega CD, in that its not allowing me to set the CD drive to my virtual drive. If you have any idea how to correct that I'd be grateful.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
huh, a cd rom is an iso, of course it does not "have" one? What is the file type of one of your cd rom games.

consider:
Most all sega cd roms are iso/mp3 types.
they may be rar'd, zipped, or compressed by some other type and in that case you must first extract them.
they may be in bin format and that is not good but I think some how playable.

Last edited: