Someone tried to use my account!

hitmonlee

not here!

on another forum :mad:
hitmonlee,

Your account on has been locked because someone has tried to log into the account with the wrong password more than 5
times. You will be able to attempt to log in again in another 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 213.115.111.135

no other users on the forum have ever used that ip.

is there any way to find out what country they are from or what isp they use?

Jale

I have traced the IP and this is what I've got:

TraceRoute to 213.115.111.135 [c-876f73d5.06-36-67626717.cust.bredbandsbolaget.se]

Hop(ms)(ms)(ms)
IP AddressHost name 1000
66.98.244.1gphou-66-98-244-1.ev1.net 2000
66.98.241.4gphou-66-98-241-4.ev1.net 3009
66.98.240.7gphou-66-98-240-7.ev1.net 4191
216.200.251.161t289.ge-5-2-0.mpr1.iah1.us.above.net 5141414
64.125.29.69so-4-0-0.mpr1.atl6.us.above.net 6131413
64.125.27.50so-0-0-0.mpr2.atl6.us.above.net 7252544
64.125.29.42so-2-1-0.cr1.dca2.us.above.net 8979797
64.125.31.185so-6-0-0.cr1.lhr3.uk.above.net 9979796
208.184.231.146so-0-0-0.cr2.lhr3.uk.above.net 10103103103
64.125.29.74pos10-0.cr2.ams2.nl.above.net 11103102103
208.184.231.253pos1-0.mpr2.ams1.nl.above.net 12137128128
213.115.111.135c-876f73d5.06-36-67626717.cust.bredbandsbolaget.se Trace complete

Zach

role: Bredbandsbolaget Routing Registry
address: Box 47645
address: 117 94 Stockholm
address: Sweden
e-mail: noc@bredband.com
trouble: *********************************
trouble: Abuse related issues is reported
trouble: to abuse@bredband.com
trouble: phone +46 586 65485
trouble: Abuse issues sent to other e-mail
trouble: adresses will be discarded

Have fun with that.

hitmonlee

yeah so far today i've had people from sweden, scandinavia and brazil try and hack into my account.

grrr.

just me not the other moderators.

stupid losers need to get a life.

thanks guys :)

edit: lefteris, i change my password all the time and use numbers/letters, we get targetted a lot for some reason. usually arabs.

Last edited:

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
onewecallgod said:
maybe a screenname change?
That wont help much when you deal with trolls.

hitmonlee said:
yeah so far today i've had people from sweden, scandinavia and brazil try and hack into my account.

grrr.

just me not the other moderators.

stupid losers need to get a life.

thanks guys :)
That was the question I was going to ask. Since you are a moderator there it could be a user you banned or moderated using a proxy or somebody that does not like you trying to make you look bad by using your account.

hitmonlee

onewecallgod said:
maybe a screenname change?

i'm a mod/admin, if i change my name they'll use my new name or switch to targetting another admin.

lefteris: yeah it might be, but not really any way to tell who.

as long as they can't get in its all good.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
This is what I suggest:
  • Keep the webmaster informed about security updates(forum software) if he cannot do that on his own.
  • Change your password often and if possible force the other moderators to do that as well.
  • Make an addition to the rules if you don't have one that breaking into a user account of an admin or moderator will lead to a permanent ban. Though this is not nessesary it should be good for those idiots to know what they have to look forward to.
  • Keep a log of the people you or the other mods ban and the reason. I require from all moderators to post at a specific thread who they banned, why and for how long. It also helps when a moderator is asked about a ban he did not place himself.

I'll send you the bill for this lesson later ;)

hitmonlee

Lefteris_D said:
This is what I suggest:
  • Keep a log of the people you or the other mods ban and the reason. I require from all moderators to post at a specific thread who they banned, why and for how long. It also helps when a moderator is asked about a ban he did not place himself.

I'll send you the bill for this lesson later ;)

mmm that's a good idea
although we rarely if ever ban users.
in fact all the users we have banned can be put down to 3 crazy people.

speaking of which one of them hasn't been around in a while hmmm

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Just make a sticky thread in the moderator forum(you do have one, right?) and require all the moderators to post a reply each time somebody is banned.

The reply should include a link to the user profile, a link to the thread(if there was one) that the problem occured, the reason for the ban and the duration.

Right now if you ask any moderator here about a ban he will just have a look in that thread and let you know about it.

speaking of which one of them hasn't been around in a while hmmm
You might want to keep that in mind just in case.

Care to post a link to the forum?

Last edited:

montpics

Pretty much annoyed for those who tried to do that. Good suggestions from Lefteris_D. ;)

F

froster1990

Well, It doesn't seem like they will have any chance of getting in, because they aren't even using a bot yet which means they're amateurs.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
This is nice:
http://www.teknoscape.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=17795
http://www.teknoscape.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=17734
I bet it was one of those accounts?

We had such problems with some trolls here but after I banned a few IP ranges it all stopped. That was a few months ago.

You might want to remove or at least store those threads at another less visible location. By having them there you are just feeding the trolls...

Send me a PM that has your MSN. I have some files you may want to have along with a few more private tips.

hitmonlee

robbbert said:
Both of those threads are over 2 years old. Probably should get deleted.

both those threads were made in the last week, are you on drugs child?

also, don't tell me what should and shouldn't be deleted. i don't see why a 2 year old thread should be deleted?

its a very relaxed forum. we almost never close or delete threads. this is the way we like it, we don't like to overmoderate.

no offence to lefty, but if we ran that forum the way lefty runs this one, we'd all be bashed up. we all know each other irl...

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
hitmonlee said:
its a very relaxed forum. we almost never close or delete threads. this is the way we like it, we don't like to overmoderate.

no offence to lefty, but if we ran that forum the way lefty runs this one, we'd all be bashed up. we all know each other irl...

I never said anything about censoring your users or overmoderating but if you really think that's a bad idea then don't do it. It was a simple suggestion. However, keep in mind that feeding the trolls is by far one of the worst things somebody can do.

If you can't do that you can at least tell your users that have Firefox to use this extension.

Edit: Also visit the links I PM'd you.

Last edited:

hitmonlee

Lefteris_D said:
I never said anything about censoring your users or overmoderating but if you really think that's a bad idea then don't do it. It was a simple suggestion.
nah i know you didn't, my reply was directed at robbert :)

However, keep in mind that feeding the trolls is by far one of the worst things somebody can do.

yep, good point, and you're right.

If you can't do that you can at least tell your users that have Firefox to use this extension.

Edit: Also visit the links I PM'd you.

i'll have a look at the links tomorrow.