Can I play Sonic CD on Gens?

Missinglink1

I recently rebought Sonic CD because I threw the old one out because it was too scratched to run. However, Sonic CD won't run because my computer outdates the game by too much. Before I gave up hope I saw a thread here about playing Sega CD games on PC using Gens. I have Gens downloaded, but that's about it. Can someone tell me how to play Sonic CD on the Gens?

hagbard

Yes, you can :)

You need to get the SegaCD / MegaCD bioses, and set them in you bios path (Options->Bios -> Sega CD bios paths). Is not allowed to post any links for stuff like thta here, please use Google.

Once you got them, you need to install ASPI if you don't have it.

Now, just set your drive as the one the emu will try to load: Option->Current CD drive

You might try Kega Fusion too, it's my personal fav. Find them all here

Missinglink1

Ok, here's the problem I'm having. It will read the CD, but it won't run the game. It runs some strange SEGA music player. It IS able to play the music from the game, but I can't get it to run the actual game. I've tried it on KEGA as well and it couldn't even find the disc. I MUST play Sonic CD again! I'm running into the traditional dino2d.dll can't be found problem when I run it without the emulator, so I thought that maybe the emulator would help. Is this even possible?

hagbard

You have to place the correct Bios files in their correct path, that is:

Gens
Options -> Bios/misc files -> Configure Sega CD Bios file ->

USA: C:\yourpath\SegaCD BIOS V2.00 (U).bin
Europe: C:\yourpath\MegaCD Model 1 BIOS V1.00 (October 1992) (E) [!].bin
Japan: C:\yourpath\MegaCD Model 1 BIOS V1.00 (December 1991) (J) [!].bin

I renamed it with GoodGen, this is the way to make sure if the bios are correct. If you don't want to do it (Unzip goodgen in your bios folder, then cmd & type "goodgen -ren"), please make sure that of place the bios correctly, if not it won't work. Also ASPI is needed.

Btw, I don't anything about "dino2d.dll"

Last edited:

Missinglink1

Yeah I have all the BIOs in place on Gens, however when the game starts running, it just launches that music player that I mentioned before. I know that the emulator is reading the CD, but it's just launching the wrong part of it.

the_ghost

emu wizard
-Try running it from an ISO
it runs fine on my comp
and also make sure yor using the right bios for your region

Some Screen Shoots
Spoiler »

cdsonicthehedgehog0002zd.png

Spoiler »
cdsonicthehedgehog0011kr.png

So now you know it works
Use ISOproducer to make an ISO (I use alcohol 120%)
but ISOproducer is free

[edit]You can find it >>>HERE<<<

Last edited:

Missinglink1

Yeah!!! I keep getting that first screenshot, but how do you get to the game from there????!?!?!!!

the_ghost

emu wizard
an ISO is an image of a CD that you can store on your Hard drive and use even if you dont an the actual physical disk (meaning that you dont have to pop-in yor cd everytime you want to play it)

Use ISOproducer To make an image of your game
If you make an ISO of your Game then the files name sould look something like
this= SonicCD.ISO (.ISO is the file extension not the actual file name)

After you have done that then select OPEN ROM from the emulators menu and locate the ISO image that you have made and select open

hope that helps

If you need help making an ISO image
send me a PRIVATE MESSAGE
>>>>CLICK HERE<<<<

Last edited:

hagbard

Did you map the Genesis start button? Probably you got, just by the case make sure if it's mapped:

Option -> Misc -> Joypads -> Port 1 : redefine keys

I hope this text from the readme helps you. As a side note, the best explanation often are there:

Code:
Before you can begin playing Sega-CD/Mega-CD games you must configure Gens
ready for CD emulation:

1. Download the Sega-CD/Mega-CD bios
2. Set the location of your bios files through the Directories and Path
   Configuration in the options Menu.
3. Whilst the Directories and path configuration window is still open you
   also need to set the default BRam directory for Sega-CD/Mega-CD save
   games. Click on OK to save your settings.
4. Open the Option menu and click on the Current CD Drive option, this will
   bring up a list of available CD and DVD drives, select one of the drives
   from the list. If no drives are shown then you do not have the ASPI layer
   installed. You will need to download and install the latest ASPI drivers
   before you can play any Sega-CD/Mega-CD games.

Gens is now ready for Sega-CD/Mega-CD emulation.

* Running a Sega-CD/Mega-CD Game from a CD:
-------------------------------------------

Place your Sega-CD/Mega-CD game in the CD drive you selected above and click
on Boot CD in the File menu, or press Ctrl + B. Gens will now initialize
Sega-CD/Mega-CD emulation and begin reading the CD, after a few seconds the
Sega-CD/Mega-CD bios screen should appear. If the bios screen fails to
appear read the FAQ section for more help.
Note that it's normal your CD tray is locked right after you clicked on
Boot CD, this is to permit the CD swap stuff (read the Multi CD game for more
infos) to work correctly.

Edit: Use that Bios:

us_scd1_9210.bin (American)
eu_mcd1_9210.bin (European)
jp_mcd1_9112.bin (Japanese)

Last edited:

Missinglink1

Well with the new BIOs it just takes me to a different sound text screen. When I first see the BIOs screen it says SEGA and says press start. I press start and it takes me to a sound test screen again, but the layout of it is different this time. Perhaps I'm not doing the right thing in the BIOs logo, or maybe my CD is messed up...

hagbard

Maybe your CD rom drive it's not supported, or ASPI its' not correctly installed.
I'd try to make an ISO as the_g_ghost said, but with CdrWin, CloneCD, Nero, etc. Those are shareware and great programs. Please use google for get them. Use the image creation option from these apps.

the_ghost

emu wizard
i cant play cds on Gens either
i had to make an ISO to play sega cd games

and CDRwin comes with its own Aspi drivers
weather or not these are the right ones i cant tell

Last edited:

Missinglink1

Horay! I finally got the game running! But there's no music and minimal sound effects. Could someone please tell me how to fix it?

the_ghost

emu wizard
JUST PLAY WITH THE SOUND SETTINGS
THE SOUND WORKS FINE ON MY COMPUTER

THE SETTINGS SHOULD LOOK LIKE THIS

Spoiler »
untitled3zd.png

IF THEY ARE ALREADY SET LIKE THAT THEN TRY DIFFERENT SETTINGS REMEMBER
OUR COMPUTERS ARE NOT THE SAME DIFFERENT SETTINGS APPLY TO DIFFERENT COMPUTERS
hagbard said:
I'd try to make an ISO as the_g_ghost said, but with CdrWin, CloneCD, Nero, etc.
you can just call me ghost for short (the_g_host=the ghost)

Last edited:

hagbard

How did you make it work? From ISO or CD?

Afaik you previously can listen the music but not play the game, now you can play game but not listen to the music... :wacko:

Last edited:

hagbard

Yup, but ever it's better a the real CD or a cue-bin, because of imprecission of mp3 format.

the_ghost

emu wizard
Horray

Ive figured it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i did some research and found out that the version of soniccd that i have is the BETA510 (very rare) the first sonic cd version(i think).
forget using the CD, you have to use the ISO format.

You have to find the soundtrack mp3 files on the internet(make sure that they are for version of the game.if you have the beta, then you need the beta mp3 files)and rename them accordingly.

If your Iso image is named soniccdb.iso then rename the mp3 files soniccdbxx.mp3(xx=track number) (example take track 2 and rename it SONICCDB02.MP3(IF IT IS A SINGLE DIGIT TRACK THEN MAKE SURE TO PLACE THE "0" INFRONT OF THAT NUMBER)

Once you have renamed them correctly create a folder and name whatever you want to name it and place sonicCDb.iso into that folder place then place all of the renamed MP3 file inside that folder also (the beta version has 32 tracks)

now run Gens and select OPEN ROM and find the directory with the ISO and MP3 files inside them select sonicCDb.iso and click on open
(remember the mp3 files have to be in that folder also for the music to play)

I know this works because i tested it myself with both the beta and the US final versions

if you have questions about this method than PM me
>>>>>CLICK HERE TO PM THE_G_HOST<<<<<

Last edited:

the_ghost

emu wizard
[sorry for the double post]
hagbard said:
How did you make it work? From ISO or CD?

Afaik you previously can listen the music but not play the game, now you can play game but not listen to the music... :wacko:

misinglink1 sent me a pm saying that he finaly got it working using the method that i suggested

i wonder why he didnt post his feedback

oh well

glad i was able to help