What's the FPS of systems?

ouch123

That Guy Nobody Knows...
What are the average FPS of systems? I only know 2.:(
Ps1-59.9
SNES-18 (I think)

Jale

The ones you just gave are wrong. FPS are different in America and Europe, which we know as NTSC and PAL systems. These systems also affects screen resolution in case of PS1 games. As far as I know these are the FPS for most games:

NES: 60 FPS (very few games run at 30 FPS).

SNES: Same as above.

N64: Many... 15-24 FPS for graphically heavy games (The Legend of Zelda), 30 FPS for some games (Banjo-Kazooie) and 60 FPS (F-Zero X, Super Smash Bros, etc).

GameCube: 30 FPS (60 FPS for some games like Mario Party).

PS1: Few games run at 60 FPS and are used mainly on 2D games (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night). Usually, 15-24 FPS are used.

PS2: 30-60 FPS.

PS3: 120 FPS (taking advantage of the LCD refresh rate, but I'm not quite sure about it).

I'm not sure about Xbox 360 and Wii, but all I can say is that a normal TV has a refresh rate of 60 Hz which counts as a very situable rate for 60 FPS. In average, the consoles run games at 30 FPS and 60 FPS.

Notice that all these values are for NTSC systems only. For PAL systems, take off 10 FPS. For example: For 60 FPS games in NTSC, for PAL games it's 50 FPS, and so on. Of course that this rule has no effect all the time.

Last edited:

ouch123

That Guy Nobody Knows...
Hmm...I see, thank you.:)
Still, I was talking about the FPS rate that the system was meant to run on (not what it typically does, sorry about my wording.)
Oh, and although I had no idea what SNES' FPS rate is, I do happen to know for NTSC PSX games it is meant to be 59.9 FPS.
Also, for the systems/games that use lower FPS rates, how does that work exactly? I'm no expert at emulation (whenever there are updates of emulators, I can only understand about a half or a third of what's being said) so does it just make the animations a bit more choppy? I was curious about this because somewhere I read that the FPS of Resident Evil 2 fmvs(I think they're called) run at 15 FPS, but on the gamecube port they ran at 60 or something.
I'm probably getting pretty annoying by the time you're reading this sentence, so sorry about that. :(

Jale

I was curious about this because somewhere I read that the FPS of Resident Evil 2 fmvs(I think they're called) run at 15 FPS, but on the gamecube port they ran at 60 or something.
Don't confuse in-game (GameCube rendered graphics) FPS with FMV FPS. FMV run at 15 FPS because if it were at 60 FPS it would take more space on the GameCube disc (and it has only 1.5 GB of capacity :msn_confu).