Ubuntu 7.10 released

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I used the new server version for my replaced libranet, and it was cake to set up. Very impressed, i think we may have an option for the near future when vista collapses on its self and puts an end to the Windows paradigm. In a way I'm glad they are doing this application check in application check out crap. IT time we get rid of windows and start witting apps for linux as the norm. Controlled Open source will be the future

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
Well I've installed it and im not impressed.

Installation was easy, but the loading times were alot slower compared to Feisty, XP and dare I say Vista.

Had a problem enabling the restricted drivers for my ATI Xpress 1100 graphics card. When i finally managed to enable it the desktop effects wouldn't turn on because a certain component (Compositing or something like that) wasn't installed.

I know next to nothing about Ubuntu other than its free, so it looks like im gonna be staying with XP for the time being.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I have heard some complain about load times.. In all retrospect it does contribute an attribute when rating an OS but hardly a measure of integrity. I also had some trouble with my video driver, but again for my it was just a server, no need for anything fancy.. I must say its damn rock solid, but most linux build are.

I dont think ubuntu is ready to consume the market. But its getting there... Give it 5 years and by then Microsoft will have programmed them selfs in to a shell they cant get out of. That is if they go forward with their plans. I hope for their sake they think it over, but who knows.