To all other Smash Bros. Fans

Hrothgar

I don't know how many of you are hardcore Super Smash Bros. Fans, but this is to those who are. Although those of us who live in North America will be waiting another month for Super Smash Bros. Brawl to come out, and even longer for Europe, Brawl hit the shelves of Japanese distributors January 31st.

Now I know that you can find out quite a lot from the official site of Brawl, but they haven't quite filled us in on all the details of the game. People have already posted all of the hidden characters and stages. I won't say here in case you want it a surprise, but you can find here

http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Character_List

There are even videos on Youtube showing the new characters. Does anyone have any thoughts about the characters who were included, or not included?

I personally think they made a lot of good decisions on who to include. They shaved off some of the clone characters (Namely Pichu, Dr. Mario), as well as added an interesting new cast. The only character I wish they had kept from Melee is Mewtwo. Not really because he was good or because he was from pokemon, but because he was a unique character. However, I was excited to see who some of the extra characters were.

I sort of had my heart set out for more 3rd party characters. I mean, I didn't expect them to go out of the ballpark and recruit Cloud or anything, but I would've liked anyone from Capcom. Or even some more characters from Metal Gear Solid or Sonic. Nevertheless, I think that the cast is great and I can't wait to sink my teeth into this game when it makes it's way to North America.

Last edited:

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
Ah... out of all of them, the original was just the best. Playing that with a few friends in the summer of 1999 was great. Melee just brought it "real-er" while Brawl is just another attempt, but still losing interest, though would be neat if you could use the "environments" to smash up and throw your opponents into for destructive fun, as of Bowser smashing Mario though a set of pillars or Donkey Kong stomping Wario though a flight of platforms - as an example... Don't get me wrong, but looks like another "hype", though the adding of Bowser, Peach, & Wario was kind of neat, but the hype seems to turn me away as of "Melee", but like all games, it's always interesting to see what could be next, but when you get to find out, we lose interest very quick as the "what if?" is gone from us fantasizing...

EDIT: If you really want my opinion, making Peach, Zelda, Samus, and Link appear as "dumb" blondes, wrecks the characters. The Peach from Mario RPG (SNES) with the flying frying pan was of her character to kick some tail and not just letting Mario get all the action, while Zelda seems to stand there unless your playing the "other" form, which makes her appear useless all together, and Samus just doesn't look like a "Bounty Hunter" as she appears to be a model... This weakens the strength of the women of Nintendo and makes them "idols" instead of "individuals", which seems to "annoy" me. Link? Well, the Twilight version just looks like "girly-man" instead of the "Hero of Time" as he appeared in OoT, though don't get me wrong, the game was great other then that... Then again, maybe I'm just seeing it wrong, but looks to me as if Nintendo seems to be "idolizing" instead of keeping the "originality" that we grew up on and loved...

Last edited:

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
LandmasterFail_cbqii.gif

Last edited:

Hrothgar

Lol, okay you didn't even play melee did you?

though the adding of Bowser, Peach, & Wario

Uh, Peach and bowser were in melee my friend. In fact, they were starting characters, you didn't even have to unlock them. But yes, Wario is new.

Also there was a significant difference between melee and the origional, like the fact that melee is WAY faster. Brawl hasn't change a whole lot gameplay wise except the final smash. What has changed is that there are a lot more additional content, a deeper adventure mode, more characters, and even crazier weapons.

If you really want my opinion, making Peach, Zelda, Samus, and Link appear as "dumb" blondes, wrecks the characters.

Give me one shred of evidence that they act like 'dumb' blondes. It seems to me that inferring that fact that they are blond makes them dumb at all. In fact, Samus has been blonde since we've seen her in Super Metroid, and that was how long ago? Link was even blonder than his twilight version in Ocarina of time. However, being just blonde doesn't make you dumb, and we still have samus in her normal suit as well. Also, Zelda is just as powerful as shiek if you know how to play with her. As for peach, okay she may be kind of a typical blonde but what do you expect for a damsel in distress. But we still do see some strong characteristics in peach as well.

Then again, maybe I'm just seeing it wrong, but looks to me as if Nintendo seems to be "idolizing" instead of keeping the "originality" that we grew up on and loved...

Nintendo is VERY authentic, especially in the adventure mode. I mean all you have to do is play it and feel the authenticity of it. Anyways, if brawl just isn't your cup of tea that's fine. We all have different tastes. However, from what you described it sounds like you haven't really played either Brawl or Melee, and are kind of just talking about something you don't know too much about.

Anyways, I thought I'd end by saying what your probably thinking about me right now, "Hard-core nintendo 'know it all' dork.", and I would like to say yeah your right, lol. I just wanted to say that I don't mean to sound like an asshole, and yes I am too obsessed with the game. I don't really care if you have negative comments about the game, I just more accurate negative comments, like maybe "I don't like Brawl as much because the gameplay is slower" or "I think the smash balls are a score evener for n00bs". Stuff like that which has more ground to it.

Yeah I know, I'm reading too far into this.

Last edited:

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
Lol, okay you didn't even play melee did you

Yes - I own it and rather play the original. ;)

Uh, Peach and bowser were in melee my friend. In fact, they were starting characters, you didn't even have to unlock them. But yes, Wario is new.

I know Peach and Bowser is in Melee, just stating it was neat of adding them into the two follow-ups.

Also there was a significant difference between melee and the origional, like the fact that melee is WAY faster. Brawl hasn't change a whole lot gameplay wise except the final smash. What has changed is that there are a lot more additional content, a deeper adventure mode, more characters, and even crazier weapons.

Understandable - just not into it.

Give me one shred of evidence that they act like 'dumb' blondes. It seems to me that inferring that fact that they are blond makes them dumb at all. In fact, Samus has been blonde since we've seen her in Super Metroid, and that was how long ago? Link was even blonder than his twilight version in Ocarina of time. However, being just blonde doesn't make you dumb, and we still have samus in her normal suit as well. Also, Zelda is just as powerful as shiek if you know how to play with her. As for peach, okay she may be kind of a typical blonde but what do you expect for a damsel in distress. But we still do see some strong characteristics in peach as well.

As I said: Nintendo seems to be "idolizing" instead of showing their true charactistics by making them appear "pretty" and just "show".

Nintendo is VERY authentic, especially in the adventure mode. I mean all you have to do is play it and feel the authenticity of it. Anyways, if brawl just isn't your cup of tea that's fine. We all have different tastes. However, from what you described it sounds like you haven't really played either Brawl or Melee, and are kind of just talking about something you don't know too much about.

Haven't played Brawl yet, but Meele didn't seem to impress me, but then again - my opinion. ;)

Anyways, I thought I'd end by saying what your probably thinking about me right now, "Hard-core nintendo 'know it all' dork.", and I would like to say yeah your right, lol. I just wanted to say that I don't mean to sound like an asshole, and yes I am too obsessed with the game. I don't really care if you have negative comments about the game, I just more accurate negative comments, like maybe "I don't like Brawl as much because the gameplay is slower" or "I think the smash balls are a score evener for n00bs". Stuff like that which has more ground to it.

Yeah I know, I'm reading too far into this.

Nah, that's alright, you have a passion for the series and that's fine. No harm done, just an opinion. ;) I'm a old school gamer, so today's stuff just doesn't "attract" me. :p

Last edited:

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
Alright, fair.

I still don't see the dumb blond thing though.

Well, it's because "society" classifies "blondes" as "pretty" and "perfect" though leaving others out. Peach use to be a (red-head), Link (brown), Zelda, well... guess she always was a blonde, though she seemed more "helpful" to Link then to stand there and watch him get the crap beat out of him - cartoon adventures wise, while Samus (had black, though also green hair...), but even she was a blonde in Super Metroid, at least she appeared as a warrior, and not as now - a model in a fantastic 4 blue suit. Even if the women of Nintendo are not so tough compared to "Link" or "Mario", but at least they showed their "capable" of fighting back, though you would expect Samus to be a type to some kick tail, but seem as she's now the type to pose for the next cover of "celebrity edition"....

Don't get me wrong here, I have no problem with blondes, but today's society of "classifying" by looks is ridiculous....

EDIT: Let me clarify why "dumb blonde" - now I don't mean all blondes are dumb, what I mean is: society classifying certain people with "looks" (mostly blondes) as they are "idolized" as they are the first to be "hired" in stores, the first to get "helped", and the first to get the first "dibs", while everyone else gets "ignored". I don't know, maybe it's an Arizona thing...

Last edited:

Hrothgar

Well yeah, link has become blond. Though his hair is starting to slowly become brown again. As far as peach though, remember that the girl in Donkey kong wasn't Peach, and also they might have wanted her to be blond but didn't have a large color scale. Also, Samus in Super Metroid was uber pixelized and you only saw her when she died. I think it kind of makes since that she has a near perfect physique cause you'd need to be really in shape to operate that suit, and slender to fit in it.

I also think Zelda has become a stronger figure with her shiek persona. Personally I always wanted to see a shiek video game chronicling her adventures between the time Link was gone in Ocarina of Time. I think Nintendo is trying to add more depth to our damsels in distress. I mean, we got the game Super Princess Peach.

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
Well yeah, link has become blond. Though his hair is starting to slowly become brown again. As far as peach though, remember that the girl in Donkey kong wasn't Peach, and also they might have wanted her to be blond but didn't have a large color scale. Also, Samus in Super Metroid was uber pixelized and you only saw her when she died. I think it kind of makes since that she has a near perfect physique cause you'd need to be really in shape to operate that suit, and slender to fit in it.

I also think Zelda has become a stronger figure with her shiek persona. Personally I always wanted to see a shiek video game chronicling her adventures between the time Link was gone in Ocarina of Time. I think Nintendo is trying to add more depth to our damsels in distress. I mean, we got the game Super Princess Peach.

Then agan, maybe I'm jumping the gun, but I see your point, Samus needs in perfect "shape" to move that suit, but I'm not saying they should not be attractive, just not as "damsels" waiting for "rescue". Yeah, they improved Zelda in Twilight, but Peach looks like another Barbie. :p Samus... I don't know, maybe it's the blue suit, as it reminds me of "Sue Storm" instead of "Samus"...

Super Princess Peach? Yeah, I was looking at that one, sounds interesting, but seems I forgot about it. ;)

Last edited:

Hrothgar

I think peach works as the damsel in distress archetype. Just as long as they keep Zelda strong so we won't have to girls working the same archetype. Peach is intentionally yes, a sort of typical blond figure but that sort of fits her more.

Samus used to wear clothes under her suit that looked closer to sports wear. I think they changed that in Metroid fusion cause she was going to be walking around without her suit an exceptional amount of time longer. If you get 100% on a lot of her games, I've heard you can see her in more revealing clothing. Nothing ridiculous, just like shorts and a tank top.

I feel that they were very true to the characters we love. My biggest beef with the game is mostly the online play isn't as good as I thought it would be.

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
Yeah, Peach is an example of a "dumb blonde"... :p She pretty much went back into a "damsel" instead of moving forward as the "hot tempered" red-head from the Super Mario Bros. 3 cartoons to the one joining in with the fight in Super Mario RPG. Now it's Barbie using poor Toad as a shield...

Yeah, Samus was in a "Bikini" in Metroid II (Game Boy), but in sports wear in Super Metroid, though Zero Mission... The fantastic 4 suit, as they went back in time to change her blonde.

My beef with the game is only "hype", but didn't play it yet, so maybe I'll check it out someday, as Wario looks interesting to team up against Mario. Nothing like a show down with three brothers and Bowser. BWA HA HA HA HA HA! Eh... maybe I should play it first... Sonic? Hey, lets fry him - he's the outsider here. :p

Last edited:

Hrothgar

Snake is the real outsider, lol. I mean you got Mario the plumber, Samus the intergalactic bounty hunter, Pikachu the electrical mouse, and then you have Snake the Black Ops soldier. Snake also has a very weird move set. I would suggest playing the game. They really just took the game and improved it. It looks prettier, has many more characters, an in depth adventure mode, more balanced characters, and new weapons. It's also a good bit harder than the first two. There's no more very easy mode, and the level nines are actually very smart.

My only complaints for the game are this:
All-star mode = Not very fun
Online play = disappointing, but may get better with time.
All-star mode = Sucks
Boss-battle mode = Die once and game over, STUPID
All-star mode = annoying as piss
All-star mode = :fuckyou:

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
Agreed, Snake is the "outsider" then Sonic would be, hence Sega and SNES war... They should of added "Tomb Raider" while their at it also. ;)

The "adventure" and "all-star" modes sucked even in Melee, though the "vs." mode is probably the best, with friends that is. ;)
I'll play it some day...

Hrothgar

Yeah, the vs. is as good as ever. Though I want to say that Adventure is a LOT better. It isn't just a longer classic mode with a few extra half-assed walk around levels. It actually takes about 8 hours to finish, and it has cutscenes and even plot. Not to mention, it's the best way to unlock all 35 characters.

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
Interesting... but curious... can you still unlock the characters by after playing so many vs. matches as in Melee? I hate the adventure mode and target modes, but at least we can play the hell out of the vs. mode and get something for it. ;) Also, how's Wario? Any interesting or more annoying?

Not sure if Jiggypuff nor Falcon made it into the list, but Jiggypuff is fun to "win" with and gloat. Nothing like quoting "Yea got beat by a pathetic cutesy poof ball." :p Yeah - I'm a hell devil when it comes to these things... Nothing like a challenge... ;)

Last edited:

Hrothgar

Yeah, Jigglypuff and Captain Falcon are still in the game. In fact, the only characters that were removed from Melee are Pichu, Young Link, Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, and Roy. Roy and Young Link have been replaced by Ike and Toon Link. Mewtwo has kinda been replaced by Lucario, and Pichu and Dr. Mario were just clones anyways. All together there are 35 characters. Melee had 26 so keeping in mind the characters that didn't return, there are 14 new characters.

Wario is pretty fun. I was very glad to find out he wasn't another Mario/Luigi clone. Also Mario and Luigi are even more different this time. But, back to Wario, his plain b move is annoying cause he'll bite you and keep chomping (Which I use a lot whenever I play as him, lol). He's a pretty good jumper and has some good impact hits. His down B makes him fart, but if you wait longer without using it, it'll get stronger and you can get a good kill with it. Also, if you don't like his Wario Ware Costume, you can switch to his traditional one.

You can still unlock every character through Versus, and also everyone has a third way of unlocking them as well. Though Adventure mode is a lot quicker. I would still recommend playing adventure mode because it's a lot more fun than before. Target Test is about the same as it was before as far as it's fun factor. The only difference is there's 5 levels of them, ranging from easy to intense, and their all the same for every character. Also, you can play two player on them this time.

Finally, I have some good news for Vs. There are 44 stages. There are a lot of new ones, but still a lot of the favorites from Melee (Like Corneria and Hyrule Castle). Also you can play on your own custom levels. There are a lot more items and of course the Smash Balls.

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
Here's a character list to see ( http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/supersmashbros/view_image.html?id=atcK5U8i7hKd4R8&msg_sort=1 ) ;)

Well, never liked Dr. Mario, Young Link, Pichu, nor Mewtwo anyway, so no loss for me, though disappointed of Fox and Falco, beside Samus and Peach, hoping they be based from Star Fox Assault, as removing the corny "head-gear" and make them more "human" like. ;) Star Wolf would of also been neat, but to think of it, not much difference then of Fox, other then two feet taller and gray... Like a hint AnAutisticDog has posted. ;) Heh, would be neat if yea could drop a tank from out of the sky on someone... :p

Well, sounds like fun but a problem - don't have a Wii, so means I'm screwed... I heard of SSB-Melee in 2001, but never played it till 2007 when I finally got a "toaster"... *AHEM* I mean... "Game" Cube due to Twilight Princess... ;)

Last edited:

Hrothgar

Yeah, it was slightly disappointing that wolf was another clone. He did show some different characteristics like being slower but more powerful, but basically if you know how to play as Falco or Fox, then you know how to play as him. I wish they were more like Mario, Luigi, and Wario who are very different, especially Wario who doesn't even have a hint of being a clone. Mario and Luigi started off as being clones, but they only have one similar move now, there Up B, and their still not that much alike.

Basically Brawl is taking what they did right in melee, keeping it, and improving other things that weren't so good like adventure mode. They took out the glitches like wavedashing, made it a little prettier, and made the moves feel slightly richer. I got the Wii mostly for this game, as well as Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
I sold SSBB cause Melee is better