The ultimate controller box has begun AKA Bliss-Box

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Hey Zach, I have a similar request from Underground Gamer. As I told him, I'd be happy to donate a model to you for an article in your e-magazine. The article would only help me ;) I may have a prototype very soon.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Smaller LOL. The current size of this is 4 inches wide, 4 inches tall and 7 inches deep. Any smaller then that and you can fit all of the connectors in it.

current progress

bb-beta1.jpg

Last edited:

special t

Hello ulaoulao, I was wondering if your email is working, I have emailed you a couple of times at your yahoo account however it keeps comming back to me as undeliverable?

I was wondering if I could buy one of your products?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Hello ulaoulao, I was wondering if your email is working, I have emailed you a couple of times at your yahoo account however it keeps comming back to me as undeliverable?

I was wondering if I could buy one of your products?

Wow never heard that before, where did you get the email, from here or at my site? If you are Thomas, I just received an email to day. If not try again, or PM me here.

BTW: I added a link on my page instead of the no copyable text ;)

going to post a bit of an update here for anyone that is actually try to follow this project.

I moved to the atmega168 chip. This allows twice the flash size. I ran out of room on the at about 10 devices. So I should get about 30 on the atmega168. As most of the core code is done ;) I think 30 controller types will suffice.. I'm still working out the usb timing as its not play right with the mega 168 yet. Hope to have the new chip ready soon. The good news is no hardware changes are need. So people like Genome will not need to replace the board if they upgrade. Where ever that guy is??

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Ok not sure anyone would need this but jaguar it now officially supported! That means I can adapt your jaq to a PC via usb ;)

I know its not the most ergonomic controller out there but my plan is do do them all ;)

Also the new atmega chip is still putting up a fight. I do know its going to work ( as others have used this on other usb projects ) but have not resolved all of the bugs ( specific to this project ) yet.

Hopes are high!!

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
The original atari and all db9 Atari clones have been tested and work.

Conn_dsub9m.gif

includes :
colecovision
sega 2 3 and 6 button
atari all that I have came across.
including ( Commodore, Gemini, Odyssey, and most anything from that era )
intellivision ( theory only, but should work, waiting a a controller to test with )

and I'm sure more that I can't think of yet.

The db9 Atari controller was sort of a mark in first and second gen consoles. These controllers were very simple. Each button and direction had its own line to comm with.
1 - UP
2 - DOWN
3 - LEFT
4 - RIGHT
5 ( sometimes button B )
6 BUTTON A
7 +5V
8 GND
9 extra
So there was not much reason for game manufactures to change the paradigm. By in large if you have a controller like this thats has 1 or 2 maybe 3 buttons it will work. Anything more has trickier circuit logic ( i.e sega 6 button ).

Thx for the shout out!! IF you think of any in particular let me know, I plan to test everything i can.

Last edited:

Zach

Chances are C64 joysticks will work on the genesis port (I'm guessing it has a genesis port already) as when I was a kid I remember jacking my Genesis controller into my C64's joystick port to play Archon, and it worked flawlessly.

I never did test a 6-button Sega controller, but the standard 3 button definitely worked.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Chances are C64 joysticks will work on the genesis port (I'm guessing it has a genesis port already) as when I was a kid I remember jacking my Genesis controller into my C64's joystick port to play Archon, and it worked flawlessly.

I never did test a 6-button Sega controller, but the standard 3 button definitely worked.
Your right Zack, that is the case. the 6 button would not work as its a bit of a different beast.

UPDATE!! I have made the avenue pad 6 work!!! All 6 buttons select run directional and turbo are working..

I also attempted the pc-fx but its a bit different. There is no info on that net that is helpful. If anyone has electronic skills and this system and would not mind assisting let me know!

Status

n64 - WORKING
nes - WORKING
snes- WORKING
gc - WORKING

psx - not implemented yet

sega ms - WORKING
sega gen - WORKING
sega saturn- WIP

atari - WORKING ( most any 9 pin controllers from this time work )
atari 5600 - WIP
atari paddle - WIP
jaguar - WORKING

colico - un tested
intellivision - WORKING

tg16 / dou - WORKING
pc-fx - WIP

dream cast - not implemented yet

3d0 - not implemented yet

neo geo - WORKING

Last edited:

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
One question about the N64 Adapter, what input plugin would I need to use? This project is beginning to interest me.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
One question about the N64 Adapter, what input plugin would I need to use? This project is beginning to interest me.
Well short answer is any.

long answer is that it uses directX ( HID ) So any DX based plugin will work, and has. I use my adapter with just about all of them I come across. With xpadder you can fill in the gaps where the pluggins give you trouble. Also this is part of beta'ing it. I want to know what does not work as I personally feel it will work with everything. I choose not to use a driver thus using HID and HID is a generic driver windows understands. So its trouble free. Works great with the dolphin plugins btw ;)

NOTE: keep in mind this adapter is made for the person that wants many adapters in one. If you want a single version I make those, so contact me. I plan to re-create that adaptiod but dont have time just yet.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Ok So here it is, the goal is reached and only a few bugs exist.

Whats new:

I was able to write a full auto detection system. No need for that clunky switch... You plug in the adapter and then plug it in to the computer and it will find what is attached. No alteration to the controller is needed.

There is only one switch left and that is to switch from normal ( sega ) to collico/inteli. Since collico and inteli wanted to change the power pins around I had to switch them on the db9 jack its self. Fortunately most people will never use these cumbersome controllers, but the support is there if desired.

Here is a list of what works with the adapter so far. and my notes for bugs. in works means possible just have not fully completed it.

n64 ( some computers make buttons jump for a split second here and there )
nes( vboy in works )
snes
gc
( some computers make buttons jump for a split second here and there )
psx 1,2,dual shock( pressure buttons are in the works )
sega ms/gen/saturn
C64 (working as a sega 6 button , see note below )
attari
jaguar
collico
intellivision
tg16 / dou / fx-pad

dream cast(has jumpy issues here and there, wont work on 3rd party yet)
3do
neo geo

No support for atari 5600 yet, not sure how to get it working on the db15 as neo geo uses this one. Another switch maybe? Why do they changes power pins ARRR

atari paddle are in works. They just move the mouse when moved, leave it be when not. The mouse moves from up/left to bottom/right to allow vertical and horizontal games.

The jumpy issues for the nintendo's seem to be usb driver/port dependent. I may need to gather info from beta users to get down to the problem. The DC jumping is a timing issue and I think fixable. Both are playable as they dont happen that often.

c64 has 4 buttons sega 6, I just dont know what happens to the other button states. they may always pressed ( hoping not )

My adapter is tested to work with many 3rd party controllers. All but DreamCast anyways. DC seems not to work with 3rd party, as the protocol is so complex. I think I may manage once I get my Logic Analyzer in.

Here are some example layouts, please vote for one!!

These are listed form most like to least

post-12-1248268184_thumb.jpg

BBB.JPG

post-12-1247745606.jpg

BBB2.JPG

want to help: I'm always happy to receive help. Donating controllers, posting, and I'm in need of a new web site.

Beta testers: This adapter takes a long time to make and I dont have time to make them for anyone that wants to test them for me. I need to do this before mass production as you can imagine. I will list all beta testers on here and I'm not sure how many yet, but dont think I will go very high.

Beta testing will start this year and soon , I hope. So if you want to beta test it get to me asap. Since I cant edit my post after x amount of days I will just re post the list as it grows. The list so far..

Zack ( I think his need is more so for a review )
me ( duhh)

If your name is above and you dont want to beta it just let me know and I will remove it.

__ v2.0 notes.

I have made some plans to go back the other way, controller to->usb then back to controller. The idea here is you get any adapter on any console. (i.e snes->upb->jaguar ) Obviously there will be some button mapping troubles and in some cases not enough buttons. Not sure how to handle this yet, but have some ideas.This concept will be in v 2.0

Rumble, in works for version 2.0. Still working on the HID side of it..

Mem card reading for n64 and DC is possible, so that in the works.

Other devices, I plan to support a few others, for example I have made the Guitar Hero work and may be in version 1.0. I plan on doing things like guns and what not for v 2.0

Want to see something? now is the time to let me know.

___ Not to be supported.

Mice/keyboard, multi taps, wireless. These are stupid .. ( multi taps)If you want more then one buy another. The amount of time and size of the chip to support all of these would double the price. Not to mention kill the auto detection. (wireless) this is a corded adapter. If you want wireless get a wireless usb, same thing.. (Mice) whats wrong with a pc mouse? Mice are so standard anyways. Same with keyboards. DC-keyboard is just silly to add in the code and a big waste.

I removed the dance pad also, not sure I will exclude it but for now its not in 1.0 to save room.

Last edited:

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Well short answer is any.

long answer is that it uses directX ( HID ) So any DX based plugin will work, and has. I use my adapter with just about all of them I come across. With xpadder you can fill in the gaps where the pluggins give you trouble. Also this is part of beta'ing it. I want to know what does not work as I personal feel it will work with everything. I choose not to use a driver thus using HID and HID is a generic driver windows understands. So its trouble free. Works great with the dolphin plugins btw ;)

NOTE: keep in mind this adapter is made for the person that wants many adapters in one. If you want a single version I make those, so contact me. I plan to re-create that adaptiod but dont have time just yet.
Oh, very clever! I would never have thought to use the default driver, usually things like that apply a driver when it's plugged in. Yeah, I have many different types of controllers, so the regular bliss box will be fine. Good luck man!

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Eureka! I just finished PSX and with pressure!

No being I only have two extra analogs on my HID I got to thinking.
hid.JPG

Only two buttons can be pressure active at once. the default is [] and X, if you want to change the button do this...

Press start hold it down ( this should pause the game ), then press select hold it down, and final Analog button Left ( button config 1) or analog button right ( button button config 1). So you will have one of the two.

start+select+analog left
or
start+select+analog right

Now while that combo is press ( almost impossible with one had when holding the controller , being the idea ) press the button you'd like.

If you want L2 to have pressure for the extra HID analog 1 slot You would do:

start+select+analog left+ L2 ( left go an any order )

If you want Up to have pressure for the extra HID analog 2 slot You would do:

start+select+analog right+ up( left go an any order )

I tested this out and it works great for me.. The down fall is you only get two active at once.

Thoughts, anyone??

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
haha, no buddy. I played with a few designs and end up with these.

ANGLE1.JPG

ANGLE2.JPG

BOTTOM.JPG

front.JPG

left.JPG

top.JPG

right.JPG

Going to move the nes( turn to the right 90 deg) down and GC up, though fits better..

Ok I guess its time for an update..
I worked out most of the bugs above. and the cd32 ( c64) is good to go. It was not what most people though..

vn64
nes( vboy in works )
snes
gc ( some computers make buttons jump for a split second here and there )
psx 1,2,dual shock, presure
sega ms/gen/saturn
C64 (cd3)
attari
jaguar
collico
intellivision
tg16 / dou / fx-pad
dream cast(has jumpy issues here and there, wont work on 3rd party)
3do
neo geo

Beta testers: This adapter takes a long time to make and I dont have time to make them for anyone that wants to test them for me. I need to do this before mass production as you can imagine. I will list all beta testers on here and I'm not sure how many yet, but dont think I will go very high.

Zack ( I think his need is more so for a review )
me ( duhh)
TommyS

Last edited:

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
It looks like its coming along nicely! I am teaching my self coding, maybe someday I can help you out. XD I can only do simple games like Pong though. =[

Last edited: