Sweet

Zach

My bro just upgraded our cable to 10 Megabit service.. 1 megabyte/sec downloads and 100k/sec uploads FTW !

Zach

I don't recall.. but our download would peak at around 600Kb or so.. and upload was technically aroudn 50/60k but would always crap out around 45 - 50k..

Still have problems with torrents bringing down the whole network even when uploading at 17k.. not sure what the deal is, Utorrent / Vuze swear its not their applications' faults, but I am using a Utorrent 1.9 Alpha Build (oddly release in a post titled Beta) that uses their new UTP transfer techonlogy (UDP obviously).

They claim it won't crap out peoples connections like can't browse the web etc, when torrents are running, even if you are auto-speed/going full out on your upload..

So that that seems to be true.. They have an option to force only UDP connections and I also changed my port forwards to UDP only, and right now I am running 3 torrents max upload 35k.. slowly working my way up to see when it will start choking the net again.

I heard charter only gaurantees " 70% of advertised speed" and it wouldn't surprise me that it is a contributing factor to our problems.. We've gone through so much grief.. Multiple Routers, DD-WRT firmware on our newest Linksys WRT150N helped a lot although the QoS and congestion management is still fucked up anyway.. I hope this new Utorrent pays off and the good upload speed holds up so we can use the net normally for a change.

Last edited:

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
Great improvement, Zach :)
For me for about a year it's the other way around. I went from about 8 Mbyte (not Bit!) down/1 Mbyte up (this was just €7,50, student internet for the GF) to GPRS internet at home and 160Kbyte down/50 Kbyte up at work :(
Luckily I just signed the contract for my new job (promotion), so I will be buying a decent house with decent internet soon.

Zach

That sucks for you, hope you get better net..

Did some more testing.. I turned TCP/ DHT network back on and changed the max half-open to 4, but ALSO changed the torrent connect speed rate, an option they DON'T cover in their supposed fixes for speed problems.

Everything is running smooth right now just below 75k/up. If I let it auto throttle the speed I can peak up around 100k/sec and a little over but it starts to affect the ping, still much better than before when the whole connection crapped out.

I've got it set at 90/max right now, pings stay good, although I dunno if its because I'm using a newer version of BT or not but uploads for some torrents and downloads are incredibly slow, irregardless of the slow bt_connect speed setting. Might try going back to 1.8 and changing those settings there, if I can keep TCP will only help with speed obviously, but UDP is not bad either as long as I can't find people who support it.. The setting for UDP only exists in 1.8 stable, also, but am unsure if it will do the same thing there.. I think the most important setting is the connect speed change from 20 to 4.

Zach

Yeah so I went back to 1.8.1 and tested it at even lower settings.. the problem was less intense but clearly still there..

I'm sticking with the 1.9 Beta build 13910 for now

retroguiden

Man of Many Talents
My bro just upgraded our cable to 10 Megabit service.. 1 megabyte/sec downloads and 100k/sec uploads FTW !

Heh, I remember back in the old days when I got 10/10 cable. those were the days. I actually moved to a specific area just to get that internet speed. Then, a couple of years ago they upgraded it to 100/10 so I'm happy alright. :D

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
Great for you Zach. You download with 1024kb/sec? That's amazing.

I am still with my 2Mb connection and the best i get in Linux is almost 400kb while at Windows a max of 256kb although i have a great upload constant speed of 256kb.

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
A bit off-topic, but I will go to the GF's place one more time this friday (going to buy a house with her). I will be there about 8 hours, so plenty of time to plug the laptop in and download the new Laserdisc CHDs for MAME (26Gb) ;)