Some help with Disk Defragmentation? (May need Tekky knowledge)

ouch123

That Guy Nobody Knows...
Okay, first, this may be a n00bish question.

Alright.

Now then, I've been trying to run the default Disk Defragmentation tool for my OS (windows XP), I have 15~16% free space, and I've run out of ideas. The problem is that it will get to anywhwere between 3% to 10% complete, then suddenly finishes (without doing anything else.) No idea why. Now, note this: I have ran EnditAll2 prior to disk defragmentation, that failed. I proceeded to run the Disk Defragmentation tool in Safe Mode. Nothing. I simply don't know what to do. I'm about to attempt using "chkdsk C:/f", so maybe that will solve my problem. Dunno. Any input is appreciated. :happy:
(Note: I used "fsutil dirty query C:" and it stated the drive wasn't dirty either.)

:EDIT:
The disk (C) is type NTFS.

:UPDATE:
The Disk Check didn't really help unfortunately. Tried it again normal, then again in safe mode. Same old same old. Also, I have tried one other Disk Defragmenter, ScanDefrag 5.5, but it also didn't work. Same problem, "finishing" after doing next to nothing. Well, anyway, just updating here, I wasn't really expecting either of those to work, just giving more info to anyone willing to help me out. :)

Last edited:

MCP

Banned
Hi, try Diskeeper 2007, remember The Disk Defragmenter requires a minimum of 15% free space on a partition (XP)...:happy:

ouch123

That Guy Nobody Knows...
Hmm, well, as I posted, I have 15~16% free space (but in Safe Mode I had 18%...huh :confused:) Still, Diskeeper isn't freeware, so even if I did use it now, eventually I wouldn't be able to.:( Is there any way for me to just make XP's work again?

ouch123

That Guy Nobody Knows...
Sorry! Can't edit the first post now so I think I will have to double-post...:(

I let the Page File usage to be system managed, which unfortunately, still did not work. I've tried some random things as well (re-installing the defragmenter by going into system32, re-registering a few DLLs (dfrgsnap.dll and dfrgui.dll) and whatnot.) Even brought up my Hard Drive space to 20% free. Also, since it may have an effect, note that the Hard Drive is partitioned into 3 parts. The first of them is the one I'm having problems with. The other two are fine (full defrag). Oh, and the defrag now reaches 12%, then goes to "Finished". Bah...:mad:

Zach

I think you are operating under the misconception that defragging is going to give you a ton of free space.. It isn't - that's not what defragmenting is about on the large scale.

It is about arranging commonly accessed data in order, on the outer edges of the disk platter, so they can be accessed faster. Some of the terminology involved can be a bit misleading.

The reason it is finishing so soon is because you have no fragmented files.
In any case, I use Perfect Disk

Last edited:

ouch123

That Guy Nobody Knows...
I think you are operating under the misconception that defragging is going to give you a ton of free space.. It isn't - that's not what defragmenting is about on the large scale.

It is about arranging commonly accessed data in order, on the outer edges of the disk platter, so they can be accessed faster. Some of the terminology involved can be a bit misleading.

The reason it is finishing so soon is because you have no fragmented files.
In any case, I use Perfect Disk

I REALLY must have worded things wrong then. 1) I know what defragging is, as a 100% certainty, and 2) When half to a third of the defrag bar is red, I'm pretty certain I have fragmented files (especially when it says total fragmented files=83, and total excess fragments is 930.) I said this may need tekky knowledge because no one else has posted this problem for as far as I can tell, anywhere on the web, and my own solutions (not really being a n00b to computers myself) have done nothing. All I've been doing with posting my % free space is just informing a change of situation. Don't assume things like that. Anyway...
With a combination of JKDefrag, UltraDefrag, and the internal Windows Defragger, I did make large changes. Comparison:

Currently:
Somewhat optimized computer (non-fragmented files mainly taking up the front of the disk, directories, followed by normal files, followed by random large other files I don't commonly use.), then a random assortment of fragments and free space.
83 fragmented files
930 excess fragments

Before (When I started this thread):
Jumbled up mess of a hard drive resembling a glitchy screen of death.
120 fragmented files
1400 (or so) excess fragments

Now, although effective, running three defraggers together takes a LOT of time, so a solution to my problem is still appreciated. :p

:EDIT:
Oh, and I want to make sure there are no more misunderstandings here.
This is my Drive: (Blue=Unfragmented, Red=Fragmented, Green=Unmovable, White=Free Space.)
fragta9.png

It has been defragmented by JKDefrag 3 times, Ultradefrag four times, and the Windows XP internal defragger over ten times within this past week. I'm pretty sure I have a problem with my defraggers (though admittedly, it is not NEARLY as bad as it was before I stumbled upon JKdefrag, and made this update.)

Last edited:

ubr

NPC GM Pilot
I used O&O defragger. In this program there are some type of defrag.

Stealth - Real time defrag that occur when the cpu doesn't have high work.
Space (default) - defrag that increase space size between file location on HD.
Complete - arrange all file and folder inside HD based on file name from A to Z.

Even when i used complete defragmentation, there are some file that still fragmented, mainly Windows swapfile, system file and i'm suspected some read-only file too.

ouch123

That Guy Nobody Knows...
:(
Well, I'm pretty certain at this point it is not a problem of having or not having a good defragger. My combination of the 3 was working fine, up until now. I managed to get the fragmented files to 62, and now although they can still move the data on my computer to optimize it, they cannot remove the fragments! Compacting data? Fine! Optimization? Fine! Remove fragments? Fine! Wait...what do you mean fine?! You didn't do anything! Stop saying 100% all ready! Ugh...Isn't there somebody who has had the same problem as me out there somewhere? :( It can't just be me, could it?

Thanks for your input though (but I've heard bad things about O&O, and since things usually turn out bad for me, I'll stick with what I've got until a sure-fire fix comes along. :eek:)

Zach

I think you just have unrealistic expectations... Unless those numbers of "fragmented files" you are throwing out are percentages then you have NOTHING to worry about..

You cannot stop fragmentation, from the second data is accessed something becomes fragmented.. It's like washing a car and expecting it to look just as good after you've driven it down the highway.. It will look better than it was, but it is not going to stay pristine.

Considering there are hundreds of thousands of files on computers, and a lot of OS files and program files get accessed every time you used them, I don't see why a few hundred or lower is so bad?

You are not going to see any performance increases from a few little files.. There is nothing wrong with your defragmenter(s) and using multiple ones is not even a good idea since they all have slightly different algorithms and measurements. Your search for perfection is worthless in this case

Last edited:

ouch123

That Guy Nobody Knows...
Then there's still something I don't understand that I want you to confirm for me, and I'm not typing this out of anything other than a need for you to confirm this for me. Is my drive really fine given that ti's condition is this (as examined by the Windows XP defragger)
fragta9.png

(and again, the colors are as follows: Blue=Unfragmented, Red=Fragmented, Green=Unmovable, White=Free Space.)

It really doesn't look right to me, but if you (or for that matter, anyone) is willing to confirm that my drive looking like this is perfectly normal, then I'll deem this as 'solved', I guess. (though, I had not defragged in over a year, and my defragger didn't do anything, which really bothered me, but again, if this is a perfectly normal condition for my drive to be in, then I'll accept it.)

And also, I know it may not have been terribly wise to use other defraggers together (I had considered this myself, when I saw JKdefrag's method was different from the Windows XP one), but understand that I believed that my computer had a problem, and nothing I did seemed to have any effect on it, but these defraggers together were doing what I wanted them to do.

Anyway, just please, I want some people to confirm that the condition my drive is in *is* okay, then I'll just accept it. If anyone frequently defragments their drive, please, include your input, alright? Thanks...

Last edited:

Zach

I'll say it again. You have nothing to worry about.. It's just a graphic in a program at the end of the day.

You're blowing it out of proportion.. Worry less about what it "looks" like, and more about scheduling a defrag session every month or something. As long as you do that, or even if you defrag 5 years from now, it won't matter.

Unless your PC is constantly reading and writing massive amounts of data in fairly sized files, you are not going to see huge performance impacts/improvements.

ouch123

That Guy Nobody Knows...
Alright then, thanks.
Also...sorry about all the trouble, not defragging terribly often, I really don't know what looks right and what looks wrong in terms of fragments. Anyway, thanks guys. :)

Alucard_The_Dex

Angery Mame User
What Zach is saying is prefectly true. I defragmented My Computer yesterday and ended up with 0 fragments afterwards. Now today im fragmented Total fragmented files=73 Total excess fragments=481. The only problem with what zach is saying to my understanding your not defragmenting your computer at all to even say it fragmented again today. Which basically is a problem that you wont be able to fix fragmentation at all even with schedualling.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/Alucardthedex/Frag.jpg

Befor and after.

Should you worry about it? Not really unless your a neatfreak like me (I defragment after heavy file changes and once a month)

Will this be a problem? In the future you can see a slowdown in file accessing.

Different defragmenting programs yes do different things. Many use smartdefrag method which actually Fragments your computer as it defrags it to keep files that fragment on a daily basis fragmented properly and to reduce them to fragment more. But deleting and moving files can also create fragment problems so the more you delete move and add files the more often you should defrag.

SO SINCE you are using multiple defragmentors you are Constantly Refragmenting the same files over and over again. Windows Doesnt use smartdefrag and thus shows these purposley placed fragments as red.

My idea on this problem Find one program Like perfectdisk which isnt free buy it and keep it drop windows fragmentor all together and go by what the shiney new one says. Nothing against freeware defragmenting programs but somtimes in the software world you get what you pay for.