So today.......

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
So today Steam had The King of Fighters XIII on a 66% discount....... why not get it I said, it IS a good game and I haven't played a fighter in a while.

I downloaded, ran it and remembered 3 things. Why I liked fighter games, why I hate fighter games and why I like Analogue sticks in gamepads.

Fighting games are fun. Fighting games can cause blisters in your left hand thumb (control cross rubbing?). Thank god for the xb360 analogue stick, the blister does not hurt any more :p

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Two comments.

1) PC-FX controller are the only non blister digital pads.
2) NeoGeo has a analog stick that is really digital.

These are two of the best controller you will find. Neo geo is a 4 button so its the the best but make does it play well. The PC-FX was made by a fighter player for sure.

but yeah, I here you!

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Ok next problem. The game is good, no doubt about it, but requires accuracy in executing moves at a higher degree than let's say Street Fighter for example. Still, very fun game considering I haven't played a fighter in a while though I am probably at a disadvantage due to the analogue control.

And no, I will not get an arcade fight stick.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Wait, you mean that the xbox 360 being that its analog is not precises enough? This is played on a computer? You should look in to my advice ;) Neither of them have shoulder buttons though and yeah you need to get the adapter but its soooo worth it. If not I guess its back to blisters for you ;)

images

PC-FX_Controller.jpg

also a lot of people go crazy over the sega Saturn controller when it comes to fighting games, I never really got that?

Last edited:

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
I thought the saturn controller was alright for fighters.

Speaking of Steam Sale, yesterday I bought Metal Slug 3 for 2.75, probably the greatest 2.75 dollars I've ever sent tbh.

Last edited:

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Wait, you mean that the xbox 360 being that its analog is not precises enough?

It is VERY easy to perform instead of ↓ ↘ → something more like ↙ ↓ ↘ → using the analogue thumb stick, with ALOT of practice i guess I can avoid the problem. This is mostly a problem with the user, not the pad :D Also, KOF games have always had higher precision requirements (from the user, not the hardware itself!) to combine moves.

Let us use the following picture as a demo taken from a manual. The regular pad is ok to perform such things (and cause blisters based on friction) while the analogue may not be that accurate. That is a personal view though.

23r09k8.png

Yes, that one is from SSF4: Arcade Edition. Yes it has 8 inputs, 3 punches/kicks that also determine the power of the ability and the extra one that combines all punches/kicks.

Edit: Plenty of practice later on KOF, the situation improved......... 29C (84 F, right?) INDOORS at 23:20 at night does not help....................