Slight Monitor Problems...

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
Well, usually when I turn on my PC, the monitor LCD light goes from orange to green - popping up the screen, but lately, it takes a good thirty minutes to an hour for it to finally decide to automatically turn on, which making me use the TV screen (the secondary LCD display for emulation purposes) - though very hard on the eyes when it comes to reading text. Anyway... got any solutions on the issue besides me hammering my fist upon it? :p

It's a 17 inch LCD monitor. Had it about for a year and a half, which brings me six months past the warranty... It seems to be a problem with the timer, but when it finally comes on, the display is still great as it was when I bought it, though starts it again after the PC's been shutdown and the monitor cools - which starts up the issue once again...

Would like to save it, so help is appreciated. ;)

Zach

Have you tried actually turning the monitor off and on with the power button?

I almost always turn my monitor off anyway as they still eat electricity in standby.

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
Have you tried actually turning the monitor off and on with the power button?

Yeah, though doesn't make any difference - in other words: no response. The green light on the LED just continues to flash instead of staying solid (with still no come on display). Standby seems like the main problem with the monitor as it's a built in feature when you turn the PC on and off, it's suppose to turn the display off and on, but won't actually turn the monitor on lately, though if somehow I could disable that from inside of the monitor itself, it would probably work normal - just have to hit the power button to get it on with the PC, which would be no problem. Seems like some glitch within the controller as when the monitor finally decides to come on (we're talking a good two to four hours now), there's no problem with the display nor colors. Maybe some inside surgery yea can suggest? Come on Zack, I know you rip crap apart for fun. ;)

Ana

I know nothing about this but maybe you need to reset it. Try to unplug it from the computer and wall see if that helps.

Zach

I've never taken apart an LCD because frankly, I know nothing about them..

Sadly I can say I've taken apart CRT's though, that was stupid, but I still made it to my 18th birthday so I guess I fail at suicidal ideas too

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member

Sadly I can say I've taken apart CRT's though, that was stupid, but I still made it to my 18th birthday so I guess I fail at suicidal ideas too
-LOL nice ;) 120 volt are one thing but 10,000 can wake you up damn fast..

LCD's are all for the most part surface electronics. Testing them would be a nightmare. I would have suggested Ana reply. But not just for a few seconds. Leave it off and unplugged over night ( if not done so already ). There is a sensor in there that sends a power good line to the displace when all conditions are met. Obviously in your case its not being met. The sensory is not electronic its firmware so you would not be able to trouble shoot it. Though that does not mean the problem is firmware. Some hardware is failing and taking an abnormally long to to raise line good. Not really sure what could be the problem..

Is the time random. or is it close to clock work.

Does temp change things? Put the system in a cold environment, them warm.

If memory servers my right you not in a high humidity state ;) So nix that

Does tapping it help. No drifter throwing it at a wall does not mean tapping it..

Have you tried it on another computer?

Last edited:

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
Zach said:

You just reminded me of my old 15inch Zenith TV back then, for the thing used to blank out during use, while I found by taking the back off and "nudging" the board on the back of the tube got it to pop back on - though one day "not paying attention" I reached back and touched the wrong thing and boy did I get a charge off of that... This happen a few years later also, this time a HP monitor, hence the display would continuously fold into a line in the middle of the screen, though this time being a "second" around, I wasn't stupid enough touch around in there. ;)

Ulaouloa said:
LOL nice 120 volt are one thing but 10,000 can wake you up damn fast..

LCD's are all for the most part surface electronics. Testing them would be a nightmare. I would have suggested Ana reply. But not just for a few seconds. Leave it off and unplugged over night ( if not done so already ). There is a sensor in there that sends a power good line to the displace when all conditions are met. Obviously in your case its not being met. The sensory is not electronic its firmware so you would not be able to trouble shoot it. Though that does not mean the problem is firmware. Some hardware is failing and taking an abnormally long to to raise line good. Not really sure what could be the problem..

Is the time random. or is it close to clock work.

Does temp change things? Put the system in a cold environment, them warm.

If memory servers my right you not in a high humidity state So nix that

Does tapping it help. No drifter throwing it at a wall does not mean tapping it..

Have you tried it on another computer?

120 volts? Wonder if this is to blame for my sudden ADD and anger issues... :p

Anyway, tried to keep it "power off" most of the day, tapping it, shaking it, pulling on it, and sticking it in the refrige for a minute - nothing. Doing the same. It's getting worse in fact. The last couple of days I have to leave the PC running all day, go to work, come back late in the afternoon while "restarting" the PC to finally get the screen to display. It seems the PC needs to idol for a bit, but tonight I'm getting nothing while using my LCD TV for a secondary, but hard on the eyes as all "e"s and "a"s are "o"s pal..

Don't know what to do, but not considering to "terrorize" this one as I'm previously know to do with machines... ;)

Searched around on the issue "google" but just came up with an interesting article... ( http://steampunkworkshop.com/lcd.shtml )

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
Maybe its the PC ?

Do you have another PC to try the LCD on.

It's not the PC. Have two displays, one a 17inch LCD monitor and the other is a 20inch LCD TV (which is for emulation purposes, not for reading nor for graphic designing due to a fuzzier format...)

Tried the monitor on another PC and still the same result...

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
You just reminded me of my old 15inch Zenith TV back then, for the thing used to blank out during use, while I found by taking the back off and "nudging" the board on the back of the tube got it to pop back on - though one day "not paying attention" I reached back and touched the wrong thing and boy did I get a charge off of that... This happen a few years later also, this time a HP monitor, hence the display would continuously fold into a line in the middle of the screen, though this time being a "second" around, I wasn't stupid enough touch around in there.
- Your lucky to be alive..

one thing extra here. Do you turn this monitor off, or does power management turn it off. If PM is what causes this, does the manual way work?

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
ulaoulao said:
- Your lucky to be alive..

Well, compared to most other unfortunate experiences I been through, getting zapped by the TV wasn't so bad...

*Pulls back off running TV*... OOOOH... What's this...? *Zzzzzzz* AAAAAHH! WHOA! Ok, let's see if I can.... *Zzzzzzz* ARRRRRRRRRRR! HUH!?! What was I doing now... Oh yeah.... *Zzzzzzz* OOOOOOOOOOOOOG! :p

Standing near open radiation, I can become a Human glowworm - chicks dig that you know... ;)

ulaoulao said:
one thing extra here. Do you turn this monitor off, or does power management turn it off. If PM is what causes this, does the manual way work?

Besides trying to "laugh" it off, tried that also and no hope. The "automatic" turn on/off feature is the main issue within the monitor, as if I could some how "by-pass" it, would just work on the on/off button... Guess I should open it up and see what yea can do, though other wise would make a great Frisbee...

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Well, compared to most other unfortunate experiences I been through,
getting zapped by the TV wasn't so bad...
- ok, nuff said...

Standing near open radiation, I can become a Human glowworm - chicks dig that you know...
...... ( shakes head ) ... like i said, nuff said..

Anyway... besides trying to "laugh" it off, tried that also and no hope. The "automatic" turn on/off feature is the main issue within the monitor, as if I could some how "by-pass" it, would just work on the on/off button... Guess I should open it up and see what yea can do, though other wise would make a great Frisbee...
- I'm dont follow your humor here? Are you saying there is no way to turn it off via a button, or the off is broken also. The off button and PM should be separate interfaces. That meaning, the only way to turn it off should not be via software..

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
ulaoulao said:
- I'm dont follow your humor

Just poking fun Ulao - that's all, despite the many issues and problems I bear besides a stupid monitor and other incidents I may come across...

(EDIT: Maybe my edit of "above's" helps ya...)

ulaoulao said:
Are you saying there is no way to turn it off via a button, or the off is broken also. The off button and PM should be separate interfaces. That meaning, the only way to turn it off should not be via software..

The on/off button only works with the PC "off", though when the PC is on, the automatic on/off feature within the controller board "inside" pretty much takes over, hence seeming to be a problem of actually turning the display on. If I could actually turn the monitor off and on by via "button panel" and have the automatic feature within "disabled", my problem would be solved here...

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Just poking fun Ulao - that's all, despite the many issues and problems I bear besides a stupid monitor and other incidents I may come across...
- I'm not saying its bad taste I honestly didnt get it. .. got it now though .thought it was in retort.

The on/off button only works with the PC "off", though when the PC is on, the automatic on/off feature within the controller board "inside" pretty much takes over, hence seeming to be a problem of actually turning the display on. If I could actually turn the monitor off and on by via "button panel" and have the automatic feature within "disabled", my problem would be solved here...
Wow , that is lame.... Just out of curiosity does unplugging/replugging force it to come on? Guessing not..

Dude.. Are you sure this is on multiple computers, sounding more and more like software to me.. If not then, stick with a bad component in the lcd. Fixing looking slim.

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
Nah, tried unplugging it from both ends, the monitor and PC (both power source and VGA) and all it does is show "no video" for a few seconds until I plug it back in - then back to black with a continuously blinking green LED light (which should be solid with screen display)... Also tried hooking to another PC - which is doing the exact same. This topic and issue is wearing it self out, unless I can find a way to "override" the built-in auto shut off/on, which in my opinion: I have no control over this damn thing. It's four months past the warranty and they won't do nothing to fix it. They should take their malfunctioning piece of crap back and out of courtesy send me another one. I remember once calling about a malfunctioning coffee pot and with no questions asked, they just sent me another one - now that's a company that's fulfilled to keep their customers happy and satisfied...

Last edited:

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
ever search for a manual switch hack for it?

Not sure what you mean by that, but anyway... looked up a manual on the monitor "online" and found:

"This LCD Monitor complies with the VESA DPMS power management proposal. When the LCD Monitor is in power-saving mode or detects an incorrect timing, the monitor screen will be blank and the power LED indicator starts blinking."

&

"If your PC system functions properly with a CRT monitor but it does not function with the LCD monitor, and the LCD monitor’s power LED is blinking, the output timing of the PC’s VGA card may be out of the LCD’s synchronous range."

Not sure what this garbage means, but sounds similar to my issue, though problem: never changed the "refresh rate" nor "resolution" since I set the thing up, so don't know what was changed, though tried other rates and resolutions and still no difference. So far for the last two days - nothing from the monitor, just a blank display...

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Not sure what this garbage means, but sounds similar to my issue, though problem: never changed the "refresh rate" nor "resolution" since I set the thing up, so don't know what was changed, though tried other rates and resolutions and still no difference. So far for the last two days - nothing from the monitor, just a blank display...
- merely coincidental. That just means your "res" for example out of scope with the lcd..

Not sure what you mean by that
- I would no t be shocked if someone found a way to rig up a on off button.

Zach

I just don't screw with vaccum tube anything.. You can leave those things unplugged forever and still get shocked, too risky.. You were nuts.