Router Firmware

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
I have been having problems with the default firmware on my Linksys router, mainly problems with Port Forwarding.
Can anyone recommended a good Alternate Firmware?
I heard of DDWRT, ,but I cant find it for my router.

I have a WRT54GS v7.2

It just seems like my router and Utorrent just dont like each other. No matter what I do Utorrent always says my ports are blocked. I dont have a firewall and my ports are forwarded.

Last edited:

Zach

You set it up in the port forward section and NOt port triggering, right ?

Also.. You usually need a static IP for port forwarding to work properly..

We shelled out some cash for a WRT150N and flashed it w/DDWRT from the start, so far its working great and only rarely needs to be reset.

I'm pretty sure you should be able to find out what version you need for your router, and I swear I saw V7 supported, but it may be something gay like the mini-install if your router is crippled and doesn't have a lot of RAM/ROM

Last edited:

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
Ive looked and it seems that I have to do a bunch of extra shit to upgrade my firmware with DDWRT. Im gonna post some screens so maybe you could see if I did anything wrong.

Spoiler »
Forward1.jpg

Forward2.jpg

forward6.jpg

forward3.jpg

forward4.jpg

forward5.jpg

And yes those are ALL the slots I get to port forward. 10 slots

Last edited:

Zach

Seeing as your DHCP server starts at .2 try changing your IP address on your network adapter.. For the sake of example most people start at 192.168.1.101

So change your network adaptor to .101, adjust the port forward and utorrent to .101 also and then see what happens..

The bigger question is, do those forwards work for everything else that uses them? It could be a weird bug that utorrent just doesn't like your IP address

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
Is this what you mean?
Adapt101.jpg

cause it is still blocked and I changed the IP on my port forward page too.

How do I set up Utorrent for the new IP?

Last edited:

Zach

Shouldn't have to worry about Utorrent, as long as the port is the same as what is set in your router..

I don't know why you're having problems though.. Is your windows firewall turned on?

That is the only other thing I can think of.. my settings are practically the same as yours, aside from the various IP addresses and whatnot unique to our situations.

If it's not windows firewall being turned on, I really don't know what the hell is going on, sorry if I can't help more. Make sure any programs like NOD32, ZoneAlarm, etc are set to allow utorrent to connect properly

You could also try visiting the Guides section at www.portforward.com

Last edited:

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
I dont have a firewall right now. Now when I have Utorrent running my Xboxlive fucks up. maybe its just my router. I need to upgrade to a custom firmware, but for my version it looks too complicated.

Last edited:

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
When I do cmd>ipconfig/all

It says DHCP Disabled. Is that normal

Ohh and yes the other stuff I forward works fine
Do I really need a firewall on my router? Wouldn't a software firewall work?

BTW: this didnt star until I formatted my HDD and reinstalled XP

Last edited:

Zach

dhcp disabled on your network adapter just means that you have inputted a static IP, etc I believe.. unless you actually disabled your DHCP service, then that would explain it too.. Its nothing to worry about, its disabled on mine too..

Also, I am not talking about a firewall on your router.. You don't put firewalls on routers, the routers themselves function as firewalls (this is why you have to open and forward ports, etc to get things to work)..

I am talking about WINDOWS firewall.. If your other stuff works fine, and this started after you reinstalled Windows, then like I said you need to make sure your Windows Firewall isn't blocking your ports.. I always turn that POS off because its too much of a hassle and it does the same job as my router anyway..

Go to Control Panel, click on Security Center (down at the bottom probably) and see if it says Windows Firewall is turned on (it will say OFF or ON).

If it is ON, then scroll to the bottom of that window, and click "Windows Firewall" under the "Manage Security Settings For" section. A new window will pop up with the option to turn it off - select it, and that SHOULD take care of the problem.

An even quicker way to get to it, is to go to your network connections, right click and open the Properties for your connection, and switch to the Advanced Tab. It has another button that will take you right to Windows Firewall

If you've already done all this, then I don't know what to say.

Last edited:

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
Yep..... I have it off. I guess Utorrent just doesnt like me

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
I switched to BitComet seems to be working fine......for now

Thank you for the help

UPDATE: Now BitComet is saying Blocked WTF. I forwarded it too

Last edited:

Zach

There has GOT to be some software on your system doing this.. Because your other forwards work...

Are you running ANY kind of security / spyware / anti-virus software ?

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
Im using TrendMicro Basic. I have tried with it off, doesnt work.

When ever I change the port on my router and in BitComet it will say "forwarded" for about 10minutes then it will change to "Blocked"

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
I think its my ISP is blocking, I tried being connected directly to my modem and got the same results

Zach

Well, yeah then it is either your ISP, or something on your computer.

You're abolutely sure windows firewall is OFF, not applied to your connection (its in properties somewhere) etc? Is the service disabled?

I mean sure it COULD be a recent change your ISP decided to make, but it seems more likely that since the problem showed up when you reinstalled windows, it has something to do with a setting somewhere. Only they can help you troubleshoot..

All I can say is try using a different port also. And force the highlest level encryption utorrent (or whatever) can use.. deny unencrypted incoming and outgoing connections, etc.. You may not be able to connect to as many people, but you might stand a chance of defeating any traffic shaping going on with your ISP.

http://www.gnutellaforums.com/conne...n-block-filter-p2p-specifically-limewire.html

Hopefully your ISP isn't listed in that thread.

Also.. You could try letting uTorrent randomize the port each time it opens (and still force encryption to try and help). You have to also enable UPnP, make sure UPnP is not disabled in your services, and also your router -should- have an option to turn on to support UPnP. That should let utorrent open and close ports by itself, giving you a random port each time it starts.

And for the hell of it, make sure the option to add utorrent to windows firewall exceptions (SP2 or later) is checked.. speaking of which, you do have windows patched up to at least SP2 and all the other patches, right?

Last edited:

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
14. Charter appears to be severely shaping certain users who probably fail in their fair use policy of bandwidth use. No official report except many reports on this forum of same problems; Problems uploading & downlding & this one Slow speeds & especially point 13 of their user policy.

From Charter's policy
http://www.charter.com/Visitors/Policies.aspx?Policy=6

13. NO EXCESSIVE USE OF BANDWIDTH
If Charter determines, in Charter’s sole discretion, that Customer is using an excessive amount of bandwidth over the Charter network infrastructure for Internet access or other functions using public network resources, during any period of time, Charter may: (a) adjust, suspend or terminate Customer’s account or Service at any time and without notice; or (b) require Customer to upgrade Customer’s service level and pay additional fees in accordance with Charter’s then-current, applicable rates for such Service; or (c) use any technology to be chosen by Charter at its sole discretion including, but not limited to, packet-reset and/or other packet management technology, to slow Service to Customer for purposes of conserving bandwidth.

Last edited:

Zach

Well I'm on Charter and don't have any problems at all with ports suddenly being blocked, etc.. Sometimes we can push many gigabytes a week but never had any problems

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
And for the hell of it, make sure the option to add utorrent to windows firewall exceptions (SP2 or later) is checked.. speaking of which, you do have windows patched up to at least SP2 and all the other patches, right?
Yes it is service pack two.

If I enable "chose random port" the ports will be blocked by my router right?
Is there a way I can disable the firewall on my router and use like Zone alarm or something like that?

Also it turns out I do not have UPNP on my computer

Last edited: