Re-Install XP

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
I have been wanting to try out TinyXp for a while [I don't Know why], and I was needing to know if there is a way for me to install it but keep all my files and setting intact. I know I can dual boot it, but I dont really have the Harddrive space for that. It does not have the XP upgrade feature so I have to a fresh install, but I just dont want to re-install all my programs. Is there any way to do this?
BTW: I have an external Harddrive, if I can use that

Last edited:

Zach

Not really, no.

If you have the patients to hunt down individual folders to backup of settings, etc so you don't lose that kind of data you can do that, but you'd still have to reinstall the programs and then manually copy that data back over. If you tried to backup the entire program folders some programs might still work, but there are still drivers or other files you don't know about that may be sitting in the windows/system folders, plus registry keys.. If you tried to restore your registry into a fresh install you'd have a boatload of bloated entries and may even cause weird bugs to appear unless you do it with a fine tooth comb and only backup certain keys and stick them into a new registry key file you can click on to install.. But again, labor intensive.

It doesn't take much work for me to do it, but I've been doing it for years and used to format every other month.. But if you've never done it the first couple of times can be a long process especially if you don't do it that often, as you won't learn as fast.

The only way to reinstall and keep all your shit is to make a Ghost Image, but then it would overwrite all your old stuff back onto the drive and you'd be back where you started.

Last edited:

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
Thanks for info, but it seems like too much work.lol I wish my laptop could boot of my USB Harddrive then I would install it on there.

Last edited:

Corey4666

"TinyXP"?? Are you talking about that stripped copy of Windows XP on torrent sites? I have tried that like 2 years ago, just to warn you so much stuff is stripped out. The keyboard layout is also messed up a bit. I kept getting blue screen errors when using it as well. :dry: