Question?

d86

Hi i have joined this particular forum to find out more, and to create a game that is beyond anything that is already created throughout the gaming world. something that is based upon a sports game of some kind. which is my personal goal. anyways! I understand to a certain degree of how and what to use for producing movies. which may or may not help me in this particular area. So here is my question? What is a Rom & a emulator? how does it work and what device does it play in? basically in English please! because all of the questions i have asked! has came up as definitions, like a dictionary with no real understanding on my part!:confused: any help would be greatly appeciated. thanks!

Zach

Don't take offense but I have a feeling you maybe got bored one day and this idea got stuck into your head??

You say you want to make a game unlike has ever been seen before. While by itself this is an admirable goal, you seem to have come to the conclusion somewhere that knowing how to make movies is going to help you?

Most people would already call that "lost" I'm afraid.. Making games is NOTHING like making movies.. Sure, you can see in the credits that games has Writers, Directors, Composers for the Soundtrack, animators, etc.. But that is almost entirely where the similarities END..

First off, do you know how to program - at all? It's not like making a web site or something (many posts like this start off with users saying they have "programmed" web sites, which isn't really programming anyway except in the case of scripting languages like JavaScript/VBScipt/PhP etc.. Flash too I guess)

Do you know how to create 2D or 3D graphics using computer software? If you do know how to program, or are in the process of seriously learning/taking a school class then you should know you have to be very proficient in your language of choice (Typically C/C++) to even attempt such a bold project. You need to know the ins and outs of the language and to some extent, the hardware platform you are coding for. You'll need to know how to make textures, sprites, if your game is 3D you'll need to know modeling and meshwork.

If you know all this stuff, or are in the process of a legitimate attempt to learn, and maybe even have some programming buddies on board for your project then I apologize; Your post just doesn't come across as someone who knows what they are getting in to..

Also I am wondering why, in the context of the game you want to program, do you want to know what Emulators & ROMS are - and why would they be relevant to your project? Is your idea to actually make this game for an older console, for people to play on Emulators instead of making a PC Game? That's the only reason I could see what these questions have to do with each other, so again I apologize for sounding rude or snobbish..

Mavtak

Don't take offense but I have a feeling you maybe got bored one day and this idea got stuck into your head??

You say you want to make a game unlike has ever been seen before. While by itself this is an admirable goal, you seem to have come to the conclusion somewhere that knowing how to make movies is going to help you?

Most people would already call that "lost" I'm afraid.. Making games is NOTHING like making movies.. Sure, you can see in the credits that games has Writers, Directors, Composers for the Soundtrack, animators, etc.. But that is almost entirely where the similarities END..

First off, do you know how to program - at all? It's not like making a web site or something (many posts like this start off with users saying they have "programmed" web sites, which isn't really programming anyway except in the case of scripting languages like JavaScript/VBScipt/PhP etc.. Flash too I guess)

Do you know how to create 2D or 3D graphics using computer software? If you do know how to program, or are in the process of seriously learning/taking a school class then you should know you have to be very proficient in your language of choice (Typically C/C++) to even attempt such a bold project. You need to know the ins and outs of the language and to some extent, the hardware platform you are coding for. You'll need to know how to make textures, sprites, if your game is 3D you'll need to know modeling and meshwork.

If you know all this stuff, or are in the process of a legitimate attempt to learn, and maybe even have some programming buddies on board for your project then I apologize; Your post just doesn't come across as someone who knows what they are getting in to..

Also I am wondering why, in the context of the game you want to program, do you want to know what Emulators & ROMS are - and why would they be relevant to your project? Is your idea to actually make this game for an older console, for people to play on Emulators instead of making a PC Game? That's the only reason I could see what these questions have to do with each other, so again I apologize for sounding rude or snobbish..

Ouch! Reality is a b!tch.

But seriously, d86, if you started now, and learn by yourself, then maybe you would be able to create a decent 2-D game in five years.