Prices Drop for Internal Hard Drives

JoshM22

Just looked at an ad for Fry's and Electronics and saw a good deal on some internal and external HDD's.All i have had is Maxtor hard drives and they proven to be very reliable. I have had mine for 5 years now, but will be getting a back up drive so this old one can breathe. Anyways at Fry's they have Maxtor Serial ATA/300 Internal Drive 500 GIG for only $80.00. The externals by the same brand go for ten dollars more and have the same amount of space. Looks like a really good deal. I also saw some Seagates too but those went for more.

Zach

$80 isn't much of a price drop, as 500GB drives can be had for around $100 anyway last I did any looking.. (there's always a sale on the new, and Newegg is the best place to routinely check)..

Anyway... what is your question exactly? Which drive to get? Internal or External? That depends on your preferences and what you want to use it for, and if you even have SATA ports on your PC.. If you don't have SATA you could probably find an PATA (IDE) drive for around the same price, or you could go with the external.

Also if this is a backup drive then you could go with external so when it is not in use, you can keep it stored somewhere safe, or use it to transfer large files, or large amounts of files from one PC to another.

In the end it comes down to your preference. USB will likely be a bit slower than an Internal, but thats about the only downside

JoshM22

Not really a question. I just thought i would put that up there. I know which HDD to get. I am gonna get the Internal one i metioned in the post above. I have enough room in my shell for probably 2 more of those 500 GIG HDD's.

JoshM22

$80 isn't much of a price drop, as 500GB drives can be had for around $100 anyway last I did any looking.. (there's always a sale on the new, and Newegg is the best place to routinely check)..

Anyway... what is your question exactly? Which drive to get? Internal or External? That depends on your preferences and what you want to use it for, and if you even have SATA ports on your PC.. If you don't have SATA you could probably find an PATA (IDE) drive for around the same price, or you could go with the external.

Also if this is a backup drive then you could go with external so when it is not in use, you can keep it stored somewhere safe, or use it to transfer large files, or large amounts of files from one PC to another.

In the end it comes down to your preference. USB will likely be a bit slower than an Internal, but thats about the only downside

I will be getting the 500 gig Internal. I didn't know that external was slower really. A USB 500 external will be bought later to double back up everything and have even more space for movies,games and big music files. Thanks for the info

Zach

When you do buy the external, try to remember to look for eSATA (external serial ATA) if your PC has eSATA ports. (my mobo came with a header & cables that supplies data and you can plug power into).

Or if your system has a firewire port, you can even try to find a drive that connects through that, although it may be a little hard.. FW used to be all the rage but for some reason it has slowly been dying out, in part thanks to Apple. Some speculate they had to dump it to secure their deal with Intel..

FW and eSATA are still a lot faster than USB though. So if you can support either connection look for that when you buy a drive.