No MAME x-arcade control ONLY if loaded from a FRONTEND?

rojoyinc

Okay - whats with this... MAME works fine with my X-Arcade (tank) if I click on it from win7. But when ever I try to run it from any of the frontend (hyperspin, Maximus etc) the keyboard and x-arcade don't work and don't seem to be loading?

any ideas whats up with this. It's really frustrating trying to get a frontend to work.

Here's what I have

hyperspin: (loads plays MAME roms, but no control), will not load any N64 roms. (says error or no files with that extender). (I've tried all sorts of extender options) no go.

maximus: (loads plays MAME roms, but no controller either), Loads plays N64 roms and controller works (x-arcade) that I have configured for using project64) works fine.
(mame also has a config for x-arcade controller).

BOTH emulators work fine from win7. So the above problems are only when launched from inside a frontend.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
use xpadder.

rojoyinc

I hate game pads. Worst invention ever created. The reason for X-acade purchase was to get sticks, buttons, trackbal like the arcade machines have. When I had my atari console. I went to Bally (locally) and purchased, stick and buttons and went to RS and bought a metal box and made my own arcade stick. Since then I've never purchased a console, because I hate their sticks and pads. (well I do have a WII and don't mine it's controller). Game pads are for toys.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
xpadder is software not a gamepad. It makes arcade sticks easy because it does all kinds of keyboard and mouse mappings. This way all your front ends can use it.

toy:a device regarded as providing amusement.
So you dont get amusement out of the arcade? Is this a career for you?

Last edited:

rojoyinc

toy:cheap in feel, typically plastic with bright primary colors, another work for 'junk' or poorly constructed.

Honestly - it's a hobby, I like the setting up (like a puzzle or like programming) more than the playing. I like to own, collect and configure more than actually playing a arcade game. Much like a car buff likes to look, tinker, polish and restore more than actually drive. Honestly - after using real arcade sticks, driving a jstick with a thumb is... well just WRONG.

xpadder is software not a gamepad. It makes arcade sticks easy because it does all kinds of keyboard and mouse mappings. This way all your front ends can use it.

I know what it is. I don't need it, but thanks for the reply.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
driving a jstick with a thumb is... well just WRONG.
I can relate, I think playing zelda with a pen is stupid. However playing zelda with a stick wound be tricky. I guess to each there own.

now on topic, I think I miss read, are you telling my if you launch an emulator from X front end you get no control in the emulator? I though you mean no control in the front end.

Master_OrHan

You can't use Xpadder with MAME anyways unless you compile your own version after editing a line in one of the files. I just had to do that myself.