movie editing

~!!WhoCares!!~

Rumor Starter...
Does any one know how I can edit a movie I have. Its 20 min long but to post it on youtube. I want to make it into 2 parts. Does any one know how to do that?

Jale

Before editing a movie, you should consider the following things:

• The right video and audio quality for YouTube. It's usually 320x240, 29.97 FPS and 22.4 KHz of audio quality.
  • The right encoders. I personally recommend DivX or XviD (XviD is a free alternative, but both encoders are good). If you're going to convert to WMV, use Windows Movie Maker (you can split your files in two there too), but since it's not very configurable, the results may not be the desirable ones.
  • The right bitrate. For 320x240, 29.97 FPS and 22.4 KHz of audio, the ideal bitrates are: 320 Kbps for video and 64 Kbps of audio. I forgot to mention YouTube supports mono sound only, so 64 Kbps suits you well (it's like 128 Kbps for stereo sound, because both channels are 64 Kbps. Since mono sound has 1 channel, there won't be any difference if you encode it at 64 Kbps.
  • Get a director account. The standard YouTube limit is 10 minutes long and 100 MB per video file. With a director account, you can upload files with more than 10 minutes long (such as yours) as long as it doesn't go beyond 100 MB.
Why should you consider the above list?

After you upload a video file to YouTube, it re-encodes it into the proper format, but to avoid uploading errors, you should adapt your video to YouTube's format first. Remenber size does matter, you only have 100 MB of limit.

For AVI: Use DivX or XviD and MP3 sound.
For WMV: Use the broadband 256 Kbps profile when saving.

Last edited:

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
i usually use the youtube downloader to cut up my videos into smaller part, and you can also choose what format you want it to be converted into