MameUI64 - Analog Control?

Styr

Hello there!

Im having slight problems configuring my MameUI. The games work fine but i cant get my analog to work. Im using my Logitech Dual Action gamepad and buttons work fine but not analog. If i move with analog i get only 4 way movement as if i would get it with D-pad. How i can configure analog correctly?

This is my config here, as you can see i mapped diagonal buttons for playing Metal Slug but it doesn't work, still i got 4 way movement... What the hell am i doing wrong?

MameUI64_2010-12-13_16-48-46-50.jpg

Thanks!

-Styr

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
You just need to understand that is all. I'm going to guess this game pad only has x1/y1 and x2/y2 analogs ( like a ps2 ) . If I'm wrong then this does not apply. When you go in to assign a key for p1 right lets say, you can only put in one value (y1-, y1+, x1-, x1+ ,y2-, y2+, x2-, x2+ ). You assign a button or analog direction to a key not a value, or analog value. So you would do this...
right x1-
left x1+
up Y1-
down Y1+
Mame does no support analogs here...Not sure where you got that from? The analog portion of mame is on the spinner, dials, pedal and such.

So lets try to figure out what it is you want... Its either a or b.

a) You want to assign 8 way directions. u,d,l,r and also the 4 diagonals. Maybe you even want 16 way, not sure? In this case you cant do that with a joystick this way. I think mame supports this in its mappers.

b) You want an analog movement were pushing up a bit goes slow, pushing all the way goes fast. AFAIK, no mame game supports that, could be wrong.

Last edited:

Styr

Well actually if i could configure my D-Pad to go 8 ways i would be happy enough :), but just for some reason i cant as i mentioned, it only goes 4 ways if i even map diagonals. So how could i get 8 ways to work then ? =)

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Well actually if i could configure my D-Pad to go 8 ways i would be happy enough :), but just for some reason i cant as i mentioned, it only goes 4 ways if i even map diagonals. So how could i get 8 ways to work then ? =)

Think about it for a moment...

your left analog controller has two directions. up/down, and left/right. This is also know as X,Y. They are values like so..

X -128(left) to 0(center) to 128 ( up )
Y -128(down) to 0(center) to 128 ( uo )

So you really only have 4 directions that mame can scene. If you can not comprehend this , using the mapper is going to confuse the heck out of you.

Here is the mapper tool
http://headsoft.com.au/index.php?category=mame&page=joymap

I have not used it before but this is what you will need. There should be an 8 way directional included in the examples.

Last edited:

Styr

Im talking about D Pad at the moment not analog.

But how to use this mapper? Im really confused now :D

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Do get 8 directions form the d pad you need to get mame to see both up and down as a diagonal. Say button d-pad up is 10 and right is 11, mame should should show 10 and 11 for up/right. If mame will not accept two inputs you need to modify the cnfg files its self.

That page shows you how to use the mapper.

Styr

Sorry for the late reply:

Mame didn't know when i mapped 10 right and up 11, so i still get 4 way movement...

And about that mapper, i have no idea how to use it. I put the .ini to ini folder but still 4 way movement.

My gamepad never had any problems with any emulator before

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Dont thik of mame is an emulator, its more or less a dev test kit. Its not disinged with you in mind ;) I dont know it the mapper is for you, and I think you can fix your own problem. Open up the confg file for that game.

mame\ctrlr\[ name of the game ].cfg

find a line like this
<port type="P1_JOYSTICKRIGHT_DOWN">
<newseq type="standard">
[ something may ormay not be here ]
</newseq>
</port>

NOT ALL MAME's ARE THE SAME they change things very often. Do not copy and paste.

you can add to it as you like, I'm not sure what your down analog is, but lets says its JOYCODE_1_YAXIS_DOWN_SWITCH for example. Just do this...

<port type="P1_JOYSTICKRIGHT_DOWN">
<newseq type="standard">
JOYCODE_1_YAXIS_DOWN_SWITCH AND JOYCODE_1_XAXIS_RIGHT_SWITCH
</newseq>
</port>

----Hmm looking back it looks like you attempted this to do it in mame.
>Maybe its missing the AND, looks like your inputs dont have AND, not sure if it should or not ( check the actual config file )
>Deadzone, I'm not sure how mame tells the threshold for when its left/right/up/down. If you are going to play a game you would want at least 20% deadzones or it would be way too sensitive. You may want to reconsider mappers. Try emailing the site admin and see if they can help you. I dont have time to learn mappers just to help you sorry.

Last edited:

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Nearly all arcade joysticks have 4 microswitches up/down/left/right there is no 'diagonal' input. The arcade games that support diagonal movement look for a combination of the verticl and horizontal switches being pressed simultaneously to register a diagonal. Games like Metal Slug iirc didn't have diagonal movement via the joystick. You had left, right, up, down and a jump button.

In terms of the control listing you posted you're confusing the inputs they represent. some games had 2 joysticks per player (like Karate Champ) so in terms of the menu Right,Up isn't a diagonal it means 'Up' on the right hand joystick.

A game with digital inputs like Metal Slug will still use the analogue sticks as a digital joystick up/down/left/right, only games that had analogue controls to begin with will 'see' your analogue stick as an analogue stick with full range of motion.

If you open 'Controls for this game' from the menu rather than controls general it will show you the types of input available for that particular game.