Low Process High Spped Emulation

LamonteTheGreatTV

I believe to ensure more money and more downloads, that someone or something should make PS2 generation console emulators for low processor systems. I would make more sense to give options on the quality to ensure that even if the quality isn't completely HD, to at least ensure that we have choice between quality and speed. I juts think that i shouldn't have to buy a completely new laptop just so i can play some higher resolution games. What do you guys think?

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
That would be nice, but its near an impossibility. Im pretty sure someone will explain in more depth than I, but in order to emulate the console, its going to require usually quadruple the cpu speed of the original system, if not more. Im sure with some optimization it could get better, but its not likely that I will be able to run full speed ps2 games on my ancient 1.7 ghz Pentium 4 desktop any time soon.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I juts think that i shouldn't have to buy a completely new laptop just so i can play some higher resolution games.
I believe to ensure more money and more downloads, that someone or something should make PS2 generation console emulators for low processor systems.

Oh my god... Wow are you messed up? Ok back up a bit here, First Making an emulator has nothing to do with money man? There are a few emulators around that feel some kick back is needed because of the hard work like PJ64. There were two emulators in history that aimed to make a profit, bleem and CVGS. They both were sued and scared off the map. Do you really think sony would put up with that?

Ok, that aside, people that make emulators do this for one reason really. That is simply to say they did it. There is no demand and motivation other then simply being able to accomplish emulation. This is why you dont see emulators being tailored to peoples needs so much. That is not to say it does not happen look at Dolphin. However to make the claim such as you did, is way out of balance.

Although your post has good intent, anyone capable of carrying out that request would be highly offended by what you just said. You have the wrong idea in how this works. As for ps2 emulation, you can forget about that request because that team is very much a true emulation development team. Your best bet would be to find someone capable of making a plugin to do just that. Though again, they are not going to do it for money and it wont gain you much speed.

Now on a more technical matter, like MM here was saying, quality comes from video. You already can do this in the plug-in to reduce quality. But for a console like ps2 and so many more, the video is not the bottleneck. Emulation comes down to one thing, CPU. It does not matter what the quality of the video is, its all the power required to run the code that slows things down. ps2 is also a HLE emulator, meaning its not truly emulating the chip. So they are sacrificing the quality of emulation by using speed up tricks to make it possible. If they were using LLE concepts you would need a 24 core system with near 14GHZ speeds on each. So many people misunderstand what is really going on in terms of emulation.

To put it simple - pcsx2 has already slimmed down the quality of emulation so that its even possible to run on high end systems. Reducing quality in video will not gain you much, unless you ant to play with wireframes.

The best way to get pcsx2 to run is this guide. If you like, when you get to the video settings, by all means dumb it down.

Last edited:

LamonteTheGreatTV

Yes, all i will ever aim for is good intent, excuse me for not knowing things you have explained. By the way, when i said "make more money", that goes as far as advertisements that they put on most emulator sites. the more people to see the site (and all its ads), they would recieve money for that. No money from the emulator within itself. I've read the cases in which they tried to sell emulators, and i know that much. I appreciate your concern along with the info, i know more now.
PS- My post had no nature of disregarding or disrespecting anyone, but if anyone feels as such, i apologize.