Laptop Wireless Question?

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
Okay i got the laptop. Now i have got a map full of HOT SPOTS WIRELESS ACCES in my city . Before i start exploring these points here is a simple question:
My laptop supports Wireless ,so if i go to one of these Hot Spots ,do i need to configure it something , or it will automatically work ?
If i need to configure something please tell me ,as is the first time i will start using Wireless .

Many thanks in advance.

Zach

I have no experience with this however I believe you shouldn't need to be configuring IP addresses or DNS or any of that crap.

DHCP should be on by default so you can just use windows' network connection manager to view available wireless networks..

One thing I would do is Disable NETBIOS over TCP/IP as it is a security hole people can use to get on your PC if they are on the same network.

If they are breaking in from Vista I don't think they even need to be in the same WORKGROUP as you either

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
I will keep that in mind. Thank you Zach. I have installed ESET SMART SECURITY ,and when i download from my PC from torrents or same networks ,it blocks a lot of attacks ,hopefully it will be the same for my Laptop too.