It's D-DAY !

Zach

If you are from the USA you better go out and vote. This is going to be one of the closest elections in the history of our country, and have one of the highest voter turnouts, especially among people.

I don't care who you are voting for, just go and VOTE. Remember you can always register to vote on election day AT the polling place if you missed your chance to do it before then.

Splize

"I was going to vote once, but voting isn't cool, so I stayed home alone and got trashed on Listerine" - Fry

onewecallgod

Especially for California; even if you're undecided on who to vote for on the presidential election, at least go out to vote on the propositions.

Zach

We're doomed.

Can only pray a lot of his promises were just political talk to help get him into office.. But I guess I'll reserve judgement until after he runs the economy and country further into the ground with his wildly expensive public health project & other big government projects.

And what about engergy independence? Bankrupting clean coal technology-based companies is NOT going to solve anything.
50% of the USA's power is fueled coal power plants, and if you bankrupt that industry there will be yet another democratically caused (you know, like the one that just happened - thanks congress!) economic crisis, not to mention all the layoffs. I guess he really DOESN'T care about those "Racist redneck gun nuts".

I know I'll be feeling guilty ever time I get a tax return that came out of some other successful American's pockets though.

On another note.. Jesse Jackson cries?? I couldn't tell whether he was genuinely happy or ecstatic that he now has another angle with with to extort America with race litigation.

Last edited:

Hrothgar

No offense, but PLEASE let's get away from politics. Who won won, and we had to watch enough political mudslinging ads that I think everyone is sick of this campaign.

Zach

How about... No?

We don't ban legitimate topics or discourage them from being discussed here.

Javier (Butters) and I have had several interesting and productive debates about the Politics of his own country, Venezuela.

If others want to contribute thoughtful discussion to this thread and debate policies then I will encourage as much. No one is slinging mud in here, I just expressed some opinions, and everyone else is willing to express theirs. When threads degenerate into personal flames, that is when I close them; not before.

If you guys don't like reading about politics then I respect that, but no one is forcing you to click your mouse cursor on this thread.

Last edited:

Hrothgar

Well, If you just keep on talking about a lot of different things that's not so bad. I'm just tired of both "Obama this" and "McCain that". It's all kinda been said. But if you keep talking about Energy Crisis and things like that, I just think there's more to say there. I just think it's pointless to compain about who's president. We got a chance to vote, and this is what we got, y'know?

I guess I'm saying I'm more interested in what you have to say about Energy and the Finacial crisis, y'know.

onewecallgod

We're doomed.
And you want a jaded rich old guy whose age surpasses the average life expectancy of a male in the US and who chose someone completely unsuitable to be vice president as his running mate?

I know that neither candidate was ideal, but the fact that McCain knew he couldn't win on merits alone had to resort to shock value to help him at the polls is absolute bullshit.

Zach

singling out a candidate that's done what others have for years is also bullshit.
His age shouldn't matter any more than Obama's being black. I also saw nothing wrong with Sarah Palin.

People can't sit there and say she is unqualified to be "a heartbeat away from the presidency" and then defend Obama as if his list of credentials even comes close to surpassing hers. Add that to the fact she ISN'T running for president and there is really no valid argument.

The media had a BIG hand in playing up Obama as some kind of saint who could do no wrong. Things the press had on him were sat on for MONTHS and I wouldn't be surprised if some of it still hasn't been released.... While allegations about what people are shouting at McCain/Palin rallies that turn out to be unsubstantiated are the thrill of the day? Don't even get me started on NBC's Go-Bama based coverage. The hanging caricature of Sarah Palin on Halloween? If it had been Obama every black nutcase and his mother would come out of the woodworks trying to burn the city down.

Palin was the victim of plain old fashioned liberal "tolerance". Hillary didn't get to break the glass ceiling, but here comes this woman who doesn't abort her down syndrome baby, invokes god, goes hunting, and looks young and attractive, exciting conservatives. Oh no! We can't have THAT.

People say she has no foreign policy experience, but excuse Obama because his running mate is Joe Biden. What about John McCains vast world experience? You can't excuse one candidate for x y z but not the other. And saying McCain could die in office is NOT a legitimate excuse; but these are typical arguments you get from the same block of voters that ran commercials warning america John McCain might get CANCER AND DIE !!!111

It's all bullshit.
Both sides pledged to take the high ride - they didn't.
Both sides ran negative attack ads.
McCain hadicapped himself by refusing to invoke Reverend Wright, and only reluctantly started bringing up Bill Ayers.

When it comes down to it, I voted based on policy. I do not feel Obama's policies are good for the economy or the country as a whole. If people think illegal immigrants are eating up our health care resources now, just wait until its nationalized. Most of us already have problems with doctors rushing patients in and out for 5 minute visits and lacking any real kind of concern unless you're gonna die right there in their office.

I don't even want to think what the housing market is going to be like under a complete democratic majority.. If a democratically run congress with the lowest approval rating in history can destroy the housing market under a Republican administration, by pushing for loans to get people in houses that didn't deserve those loans and had no realistic way to pay them back - what are the policies going to look like with little or ineffective opposition in congress? That they sit there in public and flaunt it while claiming no responsibility is flat out sickening.

Well, whatever happens I'm sure the mainstream media will find some way to blame it on Republicans, even though they are no longer in power for the next 4 years.

Last edited:

Hrothgar

The way I feel, if you want change do it yourself. Talking is fine, but actions speak louder than words. Actions in the sense of taking a more assertive march for the things you believe in.

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
The way I feel, if you want change do it yourself. Talking is fine, but actions speak louder than words. Actions in the sense of taking a more assertive march for the things you believe in.

Of course everything starts with yourself, but there's nothing wrong with discussing politics (which you can't do yourself).
I did follow the American elections a lot, but I have to admit I don't know everything the candidates stand for.
I'm just sick and tired of that 'I served my country' bullshit. I greatly respect what soldiers do, but I also respect the mailman for bringing me mail...
Military intervention might be necessary for some countries, but I rather see some more money put in education and healthcare.

Mystic

Banned
I rather see some more money put in education and healthcare.

Truth

Zach

McCain didn't simply serve his country. He was a POW in the abolute worse conditions you can imagine for around 5 years. He was offered the chance to go home early while letting someone else take his place, because his father was an Admiral. He refused.

That takes balls and character, knowing what you'd be in for. Both his arms were broken, to this day he can't raise his arms very high and its been pointed out that's why you often don't see him salute.

Does that make him a good president? No. But it shows enormous character, and a lot of people respect him for it. He has a history of reforming and reaching across the aisle in congress, and people respect him for it.

So while it may not appeal to hear about someones service record over and over again, he was a Hero in the truest sense of the word. In America we worship Heroes. Sounds stupid but that's what we do.

So in terms of a character issue, its one of the key points of his campaign. Contrast that with Barack Obama, who to this day has refused to give detailed answers about his relationship with Bill Ayers, and played like a deer in the headlights in response to Rev. Wright - a man he has known for 20 years, was his pastor, and baptised his children. You cannot say you had no idea after all that unless you are an absolute bafoon. Which plays directly into concerns about his judgement of character and judgement in general. I especially don't like how his campaign kept trying to bring up the race issue. Confront Obama on an issue and you're a racist, critize Obama and you're a racist. Don't agree with Obama and you're a racist. McCain never once that I can recall brought up the fact Obama was black, at least not in a way as to say "This man is BLACK!".

Obama on the other hand, took every chance he could to REMIND people he was black.

History was no doubt made, and that's the way its gonna be. But the media was in the tank to get him elected, MSNBC took a personal shot at Sarah Palin under the guise of a HARD NEWS BANNER - Hard News is supposed to be the cream of the crop, unbiased, not like the pundit shows people always lambast (Dan Abrams, Bill O'Reily, Hannity & Colmes, Keith Olbermann, Chris Mathews - the latter two fired for showing clear bias on the air)

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=73968

Here's an interesting tidbit on how much the media contributed during the election... see a trend?

http://www.ibdeditorial.com/IBDArticles.aspx?id=301702713742569

I have no idea what else is on the site, just referencing the chart.. Article is a good read tho.

So yeah I'm a little upset that Obama won, not because he was a good candidate, but because he outspent everyone else by millions, and the media was on his side.. He goes to Iraq and 3 news anchors follow him. McCain made previous trips over a 4 month span, not so much as a low ranking peon followed him.. So yeah, whatever I guess..

Like I said, I'll judge him on the policies he makes. Pray they are decent.

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
In response to your points:
- It does take balls to do what McCain did, I agree. Also, the way McCain responded after he lost takes balls. Even with his own people before him, he said he failed, not them.
- I really don't care that much about Obama's relations in the past. I thought it was pretty low for McCain to start accusing Obama after he knew he was behind.
- Obama being black was not on the foreground from what I have seen, his 'blabla..CHANGE' campaign was. Sorry to say it, but how American that was... It looked like that damn Dr. Phil.
- I agree Obama put way too much money in, he said beforehand he wouldn't do that. I think that extra money bought him votes, but not the victory. He would have won anyway.

BTW, I like it to have a political discussion in here. I read all your and Jale's replies to the Venezuela thread and found they were very well argumented.

Last edited: