Its curious and strange.......

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
Hi i have a strange question to ask,which is why my Single Core PC shows a greater windows RATING INDEX than my dual core Laptop?

Specs of the PC
ASUS P5LD2-X
Intel Pentium R 4 3.40GHZ (Single Core)
RAM 1GB
Graphics ATI Radeon 1050 2X256=512MB
Windows RATING 3.6(WINDOWS VISTA ULTIMATE OEM)

Specs of the Laptop
Compaq Presario F750US
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 1.90Ghz
RAM 1GB
Graphics Nvdia N7000/610M 287MB
Windows RATING 3.0 (WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM OEM)

Why my PC shows a better result than my laptop which supposedly should have shown better than my PC ?

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
Are you saying that Intel Pentium 3.4 ghz single core is more powerful than a 1.9ghz dual core AMD Athlon 64??????

Because when i try the same application (i mean a intense one) it runs better in my Laptop.

Last edited:

Zach

The biggest deciding factor is likely your video card.. Is the one in your desktop better than your laptop? Most likely so, and as the windows performance calculator takes all hardware into effect, that will impact your score..

It's a useless rating system anyway.

A lot of games are not designed for dual-core CPU's either, and even with any minor loadshifting windows itself does with your dual-cores, in single-threaded games your faster single core CPU & GPU combo likely beats out your dual-core setup.

When it comes to PC's, your computer is ONLY as fast as its slowest component.. Usually its either a CPU or GPU bottleneck, and its why most people who upgrade only one component are not satisfied with all the money they spent on that one item..

Last edited:

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
My ratings are
Laptop
Processor 4.9 Calculations per second
Memory 4.5 Memory operation per second
Graphics Desktop Aero performance 3.3
Gaming Graphics Business and gaming graphics 3d 3.0
Hard Disk Data transfer rate 5.0

My ratings are Desktop
Processor 4.4 Calculations per second
Memory 4.5 memory operation per second
Graphics Desktop Aero performance 3.6
Gaming graphics 3d business gaming graphics 3.6
Hard disk Data transfer 5.6

One last question ,as i cannot see a big difference between these two systems which is better?

Last edited:

Zach

It really depends in what context you look at it.. For business applications and things that eat CPU time, your dual core will likely be a better choice. But for gaming it looks like your desktop is likely the better machine, on account of the video card and hard drive performance

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
Thanks Zach. I guess you are right. (But i really use more games than business applications :) )

I do not regret buying the lap ,as i needed one ,but i also really hoped could see some difference between a dual core and single core CPU.

By the way nobody has answered me in my WIRELESS PROBLEM thread , but i think is just a matter of being close and far from the access point :)

Last edited: