Problem with forum: Issues with new forum skin

Robert

Issues with new forum

I'm using firefox, latest version. This is my first visit since the forum was changed around.

These are the problems I've found:

1. When displaying New Posts, at the top right it says "1 of" instead of "1 of 5" or whatever the number of pages is.

2. When making a new thread (like this one), half the smilies are replaced by random letters.

3. I didn't like the content on the right, so I pressed the >> thing to get rid of it. Then I went to a subforum, then pressed the browser's back button. The unwanted content came back.

I'll look around a bit more and see if I spot anything else.

Keep us the good work! :)

EDIT: One really annoying problem has come along, it keeps forgetting my login.
I have to re login every time I visit. Most irritating..

Last edited:

Zach

Re: Issues with new forum

Where are you logging in from? do you see the box that you can tick that says "remember me" ?

Some sites have a problem with their login boxes for some reasons, I know that much.. There is often a main login page you can find, instead of the quicklogin, that usually helps.
You can try clearing your cookies as well.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member

Not so sure where 1 happened but 2 and 3 don't happen to me and I have Firefox 3.5.7.

As for your login problem, I have been logged in to this session of firefox since Saturday, never asked for password again.

Robert

There is no "remember me" tickbox.

It just says to Enter Username and password, at the top of the screen, next to the Register button, and it partially overlays the main logo.
I'm using same firefox version as you.

Problem number 3 seems to have fixed itself, but the rest remain.

Found and removed all cookies for this domain.

Tried IE6, the same issues plus a whole host of others, the front page is a total mess, the centre block text is missing entirely.

Now, Firefox gives lots of in-depth info about each cookie, and it gave the answer for this problem. It says:

Expires: at end of session

So, that's why I get logged out all the time. Once the browser is closed off, the cookie has expired. Please fix it.

As for the rest, I'll post screenshots if you find it hard to believe.

Last edited:

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member

Internet explorer 6 has already been reported to have many issues not just with vbulletin, the best solution right now is that it should die horribly! Even if you are running Windows 2000 or 98, using IE6 is not an excuse! Get a proper browser!!

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member

Now, Firefox gives lots of in-depth info about each cookie, and it gave the answer for this problem. It says:

Expires: at end of session

So, that's why I get logged out all the time. Once the browser is closed off, the cookie has expired. Please fix it.

As for the rest, I'll post screenshots if you find it hard to believe.

I believe you! Right now there is no way to set this in unlimited. The setting is as follows: "Session Timeout: This is the time in seconds that a user must remain inactive before their login session expires. This setting also controls how long a user will remain on Who's Online after their last activity." I set it to 7200 (2 hours?).

Jale

Internet Explorer 6 should be dead by now. Most content is not compatible with today's standards and it's also a threat to security. As for your problems I don't see anything wrong and I'm using Firefox 3.5.7. If you are using blocking plugins, make sure they're not being blocked.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum

Using Firefox here with no issues. Have ABP installed too and its not interfering, so far I haven't had to log back in to the site since the changes happened. Could it be a local issue with your browser settings rather than a site one?.

Robert

*logs in again and navigates to the forum page, turns off the side panel again since it came back*

I'm using firefox 3.5.7 and the problems all exist.

Sorry guys, if you can't fix it, i'll have to relegate this place to only very occasional visits.
Remember, it all worked perfectly before the change. In fact I never had to log in, for years.
See ya.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member

My side panel just works on any browser I tried and at 3 different computers. Nothing I can really do about that, sorry.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member

Updated today, let's see if some of these sort out your problems.

Highlights of what’s fixed in 4.0.1:
• [Tab Ordering] Added Tab Index Ordering
• [Search] Added Search Results by Relevancy
• [IE6] Fixed: background images disappear in IE6
• [IE6] Fixed: Additional IE6 bug fixes.
• [IE6] Fixed IE6 issues in CMS home.
• [IE6] Post dates missing in IE6
• [IE6] Forum leaders page
• [IE6] Fixed CP CMS Section edit popup displays under other page elements in IE6.
• [IE8] Fixed post reputation in IE8
• [StyleVar] Fixed StyleVars
• [StyleVar] Added Stylevars for UserCP/Settings
• [Video] Fixed IE8 Bugs
• [Sidebar Blocks] Fixed Sidebar handling of long title names
• [Blogs] Lightbox doesn't work in Blogs including inline images
• [CMS] Fixed CMS Static HTML Widget
• [CMS] Fixed CMS PHP Direct Widget
• [CMS] Fixed CMS Category Bug
• [CMS] Widget Manager - When creating a new widget, widget type pull down should display in alphabetical order
• [CMS] Section Reset Ordering Bug
• [CMS] Please put CMS in /index.php and FORUMS in /forums/index.php
• [CMS] CMS Query Bug - Phase 1
• [Groups] Removed hardcoded phrases in Groups
• [Announcements] Fixed Announcement display problem
• [Smilies] Fixed Smilie Path - Forced to use relative path
• [CSS] user defined Additional CSS to pages
• [CSS] Store CSS as files does not work
• [Sitemap] Sitemap not being Recognized by Google (only Forums)
• [RTL] Problem in What's New Page when change Language R2L
• [RTL] editor icons problem
• [RTL] The new forum home sidebar does not move to the left when viewing the site in a RTL language.
• [RTL] Groups issues
• [RTL] Fixed RTL and IE7
• [Style Manager] Unchecking style in Style Manager causes style issues
• ...and about 200 more bugs

Robert

The site looks fine with IE6 now.

The page count with new posts works now on IE6 and on Firefox.

Still doesn't remember me, on either browser.

The smilies are still mostly missing, when creating a new thread.

In IE6, the missing smilies are replaced with a red X, and the few smilies that are still there are much larger than they should be. Clicking the More link under the smilies results in a mess.

In Firefox, the smilies are the right size, but only 11 of the 68 icons exist.

Last edited:

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member

Smilies should be fine now, check again.

Glad to see that IE6 is working better, 4.0.2 should have more IE6 improvements.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member

Just a small note, after the last forum update the skin/style color theme is a bit bugged...... I'll work on it.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member

The new style is up (and long overdue!). If you are still using the old brown please use the bottom left option to change to another one.

I am looking forward for some feedback regarding any tweaks in the color for Brown v2.